PDA

View Full Version : (article) Why you should keep a journal — The School of Life

catbert
August 9th, 2023, 07:59 AM
Why You Should Keep a Journal

https://www.theschooloflife.com/article/why-you-should-keep-a-journal/

What should in an ideal world define someone as a writer isn’t that they publish books, or give talks at literary festivals or wear black; it’s that they belong to a distinct group of people who — whenever they are confused or in distress — gain the greatest possible relief from jotting things down. ‘Writers’ in the true sense are those who scribble — as opposed to drink, exercise or chat — their way out of pain.

https://assets.theschooloflife.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/13104724/Kulikov_Writer_E.N.Chirikov_1904.jpg

The act of writing, especially in a journal or diary, is filled with therapeutic benefits. So deeply do certain ideas threaten the status quo, even if they ultimately offer us benefits, the mind will ruthlessly ‘forget’ them in the name of a quiet life. But our diaries are a forum in which we can raise and then galvanise ourselves into answering the large questions which lie behind the stewardship of our lives: What do I really want? Should I leave? What do I feel for them?

We may not quite know what we want to say until we’ve started to write; writing begets more writing. The first sentence makes the second one clearer. After a short paragraph that was summoned from apparent air, we start know where this might be going. We learn what we think in the process of being forced to utter ideas outside of our swampy minds. The page becomes a guardian of our authentic elusive self.

Here we can make vows and attempt to stick to them: No more humiliation! The end of masochism! Ordinary life can seem to have no place for stock-taking and moments of grand enquiry. But the page demands and rewards them: What am I trying to do? Who am I? What is meaningful for me? We’d never get away with such things at the dinner table, even among people who claim to love us — but here they make sense.

We can look back at what we’ve written and understand. The page is a supreme arena for processing. We can drain pain of its rawness. We can get used to disasters and stabilise joys. We can turn panic into lists. Five ways to survive this. Six things I am going to tell them. Four reasons not to despair. We won’t need to be so jittery in the world outside after we have told the notebook all this.

The page becomes a laboratory in which to try out what might shock and surprise. We don’t need to honour everything we say. We’re giving it a go and seeing how we feel. It’s the first draft of a letter to ourselves.

Looking back at what we have written should be embarrassing, if what we mean by that is hyperbolic, disjointed, uncertain and wild. If we aren’t appalled by much of what we have said to ourselves, we aren’t beginning to be truthful — and therefore won’t learn.

If in ordinary life we make a little more sense than we might, if we are a bit calmer than we were, it’s perhaps because — somewhere in a drawer — there are pages of tightly compressed handwriting that have helped us to understand our pain, safely explore our fantasies and guide us to a more bearable future.

Kaputnik
August 9th, 2023, 03:13 PM
I made an entry in my journal today. I noticed that the previous entry was from 10 days earlier; there was a rather lengthy one from the day before that, but then a gap of almost 2 weeks to the next earliest.

At one point I was writing in my journal every day, or very nearly. Sometimes an entry might run to ten pages or more, sometimes it might be half a page, but there was almost always something.

In the past year, though, I just haven't wanted to write as much. Thinking about why, I think it has something to do with drawing and painting more. I am putting something of myself on paper every day, but in different ways.

And I haven't touched the story which I was writing in...

mreeveshp
August 9th, 2023, 03:47 PM
I used to be great at keeping a journal and writing in it daily even if it's very short, couple sentences. I do believe it can be very therapeutic. I got lazy and started writing less and less and now my entries are months apart. I really need to get back to trying to write in it semi regularly.

Interesting article, thank you for sharing your find

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

catbert
August 21st, 2023, 09:01 AM
Since posting the article above, I've started doing morning pages (https://juliacameronlive.com/basic-tools/morning-pages/) again — this time just a page a day instead of the suggested three because I'm terse and write small. And because it means I finally have a use for a neglected Hobonichi Cousin. It fulfils a similar function to journalling. I've kept a diary for years but that's more record-keeping than reflection.

Yazeh
August 25th, 2023, 02:41 PM
There was a similar exercise, to unblock writer's block :) From the book Writing on Both Sides of the BrainThe goal was to write 10 minutes the moment you wake up. I did it for several months, and often times, there was so much resistance by the left side of my brain that I wrote gibberish. It really helped with creativity. The book Drawing with the Right side of the Brain has also exercises to unleash the creative side, though I doubt you'll ever need that :D

catbert
August 26th, 2023, 08:02 PM
There was a similar exercise, to unblock writer's block :) From the book Writing on Both Sides of the BrainThe goal was to write 10 minutes the moment you wake up. I did it for several months, and often times, there was so much resistance by the left side of my brain that I wrote gibberish. It really helped with creativity. The book Drawing with the Right side of the Brain has also exercises to unleash the creative side, though I doubt you'll ever need that :D

I used to write a lot of gibberish in morning pages just to make the three-page count, including real-time commentary on my pen and ink and handwriting. :rolleyes:

I've been meaning to try Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Thank you for the reminder.

Lloyd
August 26th, 2023, 08:46 PM

I used to write a lot of gibberish in morning pages just to make the three-page count, including real-time commentary on my pen and ink and handwriting. :rolleyes:

I've been meaning to try Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Thank you for the reminder.

I sincerely doubt that there's a more right side of your brain than whatever side of the brain you've been relying on, catbert.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

Sailor Kenshin
August 27th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Love the illo.

And I read Writing on Both Sides of the Brain. I might even still have it. I've read all sorts of journaling exercise books and some worked better for me than others, but each one had value.

Usually I start off a journal page with dreams.

calamus
August 27th, 2023, 05:26 PM
I used to keep a dream journal. After a while the nature of my dreams changed significantly. I also started remembering my dreams much better. Then something really weird happened -- I'd start "waking up" inside my dreams. I think they call that lucid dreaming. Something weird would happen in a dream, and instead of accepting it unquestionably, I'd go, "Hey -- this is weird. I must be dreaming." And then I'd dream that I'd woken up. It was a dream within a dream. I think once or twice I had a dream within a dream within a dream. It was actually pretty cool... except for the nightmares. They became insanely horrific. Wake up from being in the frying pan, only to discover it was worse than you thought -- you were in the fire.

Sailor Kenshin
August 27th, 2023, 05:33 PM
I used to keep a dream journal. After a while the nature of my dreams changed significantly. I also started remembering my dreams much better. Then something really weird happened -- I'd start "waking up" inside my dreams. I think they call that lucid dreaming. Something weird would happen in a dream, and instead of accepting it unquestionably, I'd go, "Hey -- this is weird. I must be dreaming." And then I'd dream that I'd woken up. It was a dream within a dream. I think once or twice I had a dream within a dream within a dream. It was actually pretty cool... except for the nightmares. They became insanely horrific. Wake up from being in the frying pan, only to discover it was worse than you thought -- you were in the fire.

I guess I've had lucid dreams when I know it's a dream but I wanna see what's in that room...'Come on, almost there....'

My nightmares have been semi-lucid once or twice. Nope, don' wanna, not ever again.