PDA

View Full Version : De Atramentis Document Red

Yazeh
August 9th, 2023, 11:32 AM
This ink like and it’s artsy sibling reminds me of watermelon juice. It’s a pinkish red. I’ve done a back-to-back review of both and frankly I don’t see much of a difference between them other than Artsy is slightly darker.
The ink is nothing like Noodler's Fox Red, that I reviewed recently. Frankly it's an underwhelming ink. However, if you need a good waterproof ink for editing it's a decent.

Let's start with the chroma:

Writing samples:
I realized in retrospect, that I don't have a fine Kaweco, so the fine is Medium, Medium is B and B is double broad. My apologies :redface:
Poem is Adrift (https://grateful.org/resource/adrift/) by Mark Nepo.
Minimal ghosting on Hammermill.
Photo: You see the real colour. The more absorbent the colour the paler the ink.
Comparison:
Artist seems slightly darker.
Watertest
As usual as artwork, entitled: Dreaming of watermelon in a heat wave, it was inspired by @LizEF Colorverse Redwood forrest review.
Inks used:
Green: R&K Alt-Goldgrün
Orange: Noodler's Apache sunset
I mixed the orange / green at the the horizon level ;)
Black: Pentel Brush pen
Red: De Atramentis Document Red
Bright green: Pastel
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dg55626-e8735c78-8e0e-448a-bf75-1d5bdaf3fda6.jpg/v1/fill/w_1102,h_725,q_70,strp/dreaming_of_watermelon_in_a_heatwave_by_yazeh1_dg5 5626-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9ODQzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNDBlYzVhMDAtZTR jNS00ZGQzLWE3NWMtNjVhZDc3ZGFhZjVhXC9kZzU1NjI2LWU4N zM1Yzc4LThlMGUtNDQ4YS1iZjc1LTFkNWJkYWYzZmRhNi5qcGc iLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2Vyd mljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.r5vkXP-ukJjxyMcMtq-e9MsjSs7dRt49qI4LCMXgkRE
Spade and heart...
Pentel Brush nib /Document Red

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dg51j0f-c46552dc-0ad1-4a78-91ab-2c01f403f11a.jpg/v1/fit/w_828,h_1104,q_70,strp/spades_broke_my_heart_by_yazeh1_dg51j0f-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9. eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZD QxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgy MjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaW dodCI6Ijw9MTcwNyIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU0 YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGc1MWowZi1jND Y1NTJkYy0wYWQxLTRhNzgtOTFhYi0yYzAxZjQwM2YxMWEuanBn Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcn ZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.mhVeyn_e7BqBKekrw kMRjp_tE1hdyojr4VWyi4H-7AE

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuna Ef/Stub Kaweco (EF/M/B/BB), Kanwrite Ultraflex
· What I liked: Teaching me to write with a feather hand :)
· What I did not like: Not lubricated, palish red
· What some might not like: Dry, the colour, daytimes.
· Shading: None.
· Ghosting: Faint on copy paper.
· Bleed through: None
· Flow Rate: Alright.
· Lubrication: It won’t make your scratchy nib glide.
· Nib Dry-out: No.
· Start-up: No.
· Saturation: Nope.
· Shading Potential: Dismal
· Sheen: None
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: A bit
· Staining (pen): No.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Normal. Like most pigment inks the more it stays in the pne the more you need to soak. But I didn’t need to use pen flush.
· Water resistance: Excellent.
· Availability: 45 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

LizEF
August 9th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for enduring an uninspired, washed out sort of red to bring us wonderful kitties, a cute little red fox, a sad broken heart, and the hopefully soon to be added fun artwork! :) (Can't see the image in there, assume a temporary glitch.) Congrats on attaining feather hand!

Yazeh
August 9th, 2023, 01:50 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for enduring an uninspired, washed out sort of red to bring us wonderful kitties, a cute little red fox, a sad broken heart, and the hopefully soon to be added fun artwork! :) (Can't see the image in there, assume a temporary glitch.) Congrats on attaining feather hand!

Most welcome. And thanks for letting me know. I just corrected the links! Yay, finally I got feather hand, it must be the combination of using the brush pen and not wanting to feel scratchy nibs :bounce:

LizEF
August 9th, 2023, 02:37 PM
And thanks for letting me know. I just corrected the links!

:) No problem - it can be tedious posting reviews, thus making the obvious easy to miss.

Yay, finally I got feather hand, it must be the combination of using the brush pen and not wanting to feel scratchy nibs :bounce:

:D Exactly! It can take a lot of practice / conscious effort to keep it up.

(Meanwhile, just had some watermelon for dessert! ;) )

Yazeh
August 10th, 2023, 01:01 AM
:) No problem - it can be tedious posting reviews, thus making the obvious easy to miss.

Yay, finally I got feather hand, it must be the combination of using the brush pen and not wanting to feel scratchy nibs :bounce:

:D Exactly! It can take a lot of practice / conscious effort to keep it up.
The art of letting go :)

(Meanwhile, just had some watermelon for dessert! ;) )
Without watermelon syrup I hope :D

LizEF
August 10th, 2023, 07:21 AM
Without watermelon syrup I hope :D

Yeah, just plain old watermelon. Yum.

Sailor Kenshin
August 10th, 2023, 11:31 AM
A watermelon boat and watermelon ink. Perfect for summer.

Did the kitteh and mouse get any watermelon? (I had a kitteh who loved canteloupe).

The first three inks look very much alike, and I might actually want a color like this, so many thanks, Yazeh, for bringing us another great illustrated review..

Yazeh
August 10th, 2023, 12:02 PM
A watermelon boat and watermelon ink. Perfect for summer.

Did the kitteh and mouse get any watermelon? (I had a kitteh who loved canteloupe).
I don't know.Probably after they traversed the orange sea :)

[
The first three inks look very much alike, and I might actually want a color like this, so many thanks, Yazeh, for bringing us another great illustrated review..
If you want the rest of my sample, PM, me :) and most welcome :bounce: