PDA

View Full Version : Stamp Ink Pads

heath
September 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Question 1: Any suggestions for a ink pad for a 3" x 3" stamp?

Question 2: Has anyone ever used a refillable stamp pad with fountain pen inks?

Thanks!

caribbean_skye
September 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Question 1. I guess it depends on what stamp and what you'll be using it for, what you'll be stamping it on, how long you want the image to last and how much you want to pay. If I recall correctly, pigment ink pads last longer and resist water, however they take some time to dry. Dye ink pads dry a lot quicker however they are usually water-based so it can smear/fade/run/bleed.

Question 2. Nope.

fncll
September 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Pigment ink pads, store the pads inside a zip-log bag. I turn the bag(s) of pads upside down once in a while for a week or so (when I think about it). I've never tried using a pad with fountain pen ink. Let us know how you fare!

heath
September 18th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Anyone have a pigment ink pad (that sounds like what I need) recommendation for over 3" x 3" or a link? I haven't been able to find anything. It seems they are 2.X inch x 3+" on Amazon.com most brands. I haven't been to any of the office stores yet but I guess that's what I'll do next if I can't find it online.

Heath

fncll
September 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM
One place I found: http://www.thestampmaker.com/Departments/Stamp-PadsStamp-Ink/Stamp-Pads.aspx

I'm sure there are more!

Goldfish
September 19th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Some pigmented pads are very small so that you can pick it up and apply ink to the stamp (as you are painting it) :)

I never tried myself but IIRC Private Reserve makes stamp pads with some of their ink colors.

heath
September 22nd, 2013, 09:33 AM
So, I ordered the one from the recommendation but I got my stamp in yesterday and couldn't wait. Since the one I ordered was black I ran to office depot and picked up the red/blue combo pack. It's felt and not pigment so it's not going to be my go to but I needed to try it out. And... here it is!

5553 5554

I actually used it a few time after taking the picture and it gets pretty much full coverage. I have to say I love it. As with anything, after you make it there is always something you would change but I think I will get good use out of it, particularly in my correspondence with pen pals. I still need to pick up some empty pads to see if fountain pen ink will work. I'd love to have the stamp match the ink from my letters. I need to check though to see if the rubber stamp will hold up.