PDA

View Full Version : Off to my first Pen Show

flyfishercacher
August 25th, 2023, 10:33 AM
I recently became disgusted with keyboards and phones, thumb presses and emojis, and resolved to learn how to write again and return to the beautiful world of pen and paper of my youth. Down the rabbit hole of fountain pens, ink, paper, and handwriting, I went.

My fountain pen collection stands at a paltry dozen, all characterized as 'cheap,' except for my 'Targa by Shaeffer' recently recovered from the attic. Next month, I'm off to my first pen show in search of the first fountain pen I owned as a boy, the Esterbrook J. I know they are available on eBay, but where's the fun in that?

I will also explore the world of ink, which never got my attention back when I wrote with fountain pens. Ink was ink, either blue or black; you filled the fountain pen when it was empty; end of story. I expect to buy one or two bottles and maybe a couple sample packs, but on the way, test many inks and make several swatches. I have a ring of blank testing cards, a dip pen, a box of Q-tips, and a pack of tissues to do that. What am I missing? Any advice? Also, do ink manufacturers/dealers sell or give away collections of swatches for their products? Thanks for any comments.

Ismaeldallastx
August 26th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Take it all in and enjoy!

Brilliant Bill
August 26th, 2023, 03:43 PM
I documented my first pen show experience. It may be a helpful read...

https://deadreckoning1.wordpress.com/2016/05/04/a-pen-show-really/

Have fun!

welch
August 28th, 2023, 02:02 PM
- Talk to the Andersons (Anderson Pens, Appleton, Wisconsin). They used to be the Eversharp pen people...with the best list of Eversharp nib units.

- Talk to the nib and repair people.

- Talk with people selling books about pens or inks.

So...talk with everyone! Pen shows collect the most knowing pen people and they are the friendliest.

TSherbs
August 28th, 2023, 02:14 PM
Oh, you have no idea what's ahead of you! :cheers:

Have fun. Let us know what/how much you came home with.... ;)