PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Organics Studio Oscar's Copper

Chrissy
August 27th, 2023, 04:40 AM
Today I’m reviewing Organics Studio Oscar’s Copper ink. Organics Studio inks are hand made in Maryland, USA.
This ink is from their "Ernest’s Vintage Writing Fluid" range. These are designed to be low maintenance inks that can be safely left in fountain pens for long periods without causing problems. They are also sold as safe for use in celluloid and vintage fountain pens.

When I reviewed this ink it was a mystery ink that I found to have very good, wet, flow with nice lubrication at the nib tip and smooth writing across the paper.
It dried very quickly on my Xerox ColorPrint 120 gsm paper and shows some really nice shading.

A well behaved ink that is not readily available in many outlets but can occasionally be found in Vanness Pens US or Pure Pens UK. It comes in 55ml plastic bottles.
For alternative options if you can't get this similar inks are Diamine Ancient Copper or their 150th Anniversary Blood Orange.

Thank you to FPGeeks “junglejim” for sending me the mystery sample.

Flow Rate: Very good.
Lubrication: Very smooth.
Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
Start-up: Immediate.
Saturation: Not saturated
Shading Potential: Some nice shading seen.
Show-through/Bleed-through: A little seen on Exacompta FAF paper
Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
Staining (pen): Not seen - very easy clean-up.
Staining (hands): Easily washed off of my hands.
Clogging: Not seen.
Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but shows a little water resistance.

Yazeh
August 27th, 2023, 04:51 AM
Great review @Chrissy :thumb:
There are only three inks in the "Vintage series". Oscar's Copper, and Maebel's Scarlet and Blue Merle. All three named after the owner's three dogs. I have to admit, the naming of the inks are really confusing :) But the colour was fun :) And it's out of stock in Vanness, btw :D

Chrissy
August 27th, 2023, 05:41 AM
There are only three inks in the "Vintage series". Oscar's Copper, and Maebel's Scarlet and Blue Merle. All three named after the owner's three dogs. I have to admit, the naming of the inks are really confusing :) But the colour was fun :) And it's out of stock in Vanness, btw :D
You're welcome. :)
I know it's out of stock in Vanness because junglejim's original link goes to a missing page. I can't find it actually in stock anywhere.

Yazeh
August 27th, 2023, 07:27 AM
I know it's out of stock in Vanness because junglejim's original link goes to a missing page. I can't find it actually in stock anywhere.

Finding inks of this brand is a bit erratic and difficult. It's like hit and miss, anyway, we'll always have Ancient Copper :D

mizgeorge
August 27th, 2023, 02:08 PM
Thank you as always Chrissy.

Luckily, I have enough copper inks to last me a lifetime (not least because I don't particularly like them), so I shan't be worrying too much about not being able to find it :)

Chrissy
August 27th, 2023, 02:11 PM
Thank you as always Chrissy.

Luckily, I have enough copper inks to last me a lifetime (not least because I don't particularly like them), so I shan't be worrying too much about not being able to find it :)
Yes I suppose have a few too. :)

Carpio
August 29th, 2023, 02:07 AM
Hello,

Thank you for the review, Chrissy.
I think I'm starting to understand more of what others see.
I have to be honest though - taint the type of brown I would go out my way to buy. Not brown enough for my taste..... then, when I scroll down from the top of the page to get to my 'quick reply box', the scrolling speed is such, that I stop and go back to the colour guide posted, whereby I actually see red, and then a nice brown, so, in short - I do actually like the brown in the '3rd' pass.
Beejeezus - these past 48 hours have been full of discombobulation, and I don't know if I want them again anytime soon. :D

Carpio

Chrissy
August 29th, 2023, 02:58 AM
Hello,

Thank you for the review, Chrissy.
I think I'm starting to understand more of what others see.
I have to be honest though - taint the type of brown I would go out my way to buy. Not brown enough for my taste..... then, when I scroll down from the top of the page to get to my 'quick reply box', the scrolling speed is such, that I stop and go back to the colour guide posted, whereby I actually see red, and then a nice brown, so, in short - I do actually like the brown in the '3rd' pass.
Carpio
Sometimes people see inks/papers quite differently.

When I first wrote with this as a mystery ink I thought it was red. That's why I brought out my red comparison inks to compare it with. At the time it actually never even occurred to me that Diamine Ancient Copper might be similar. However, once I found out what ink it was I looked at other reviews and it had been compared with Ancient Copper. Yazeh has mentioned it in this review too. :) I thought Dia. 150th Anniversary Blood Orange must be similar to Ancient Copper so I got out my bottle of Ancient Copper and I think it's actually less pinkish red and less similar to Oscar's Copper than the inks I've already compared it with, So I seem to be out on a limb of my own in not comparing Oscar's Copper with Ancient Copper. So there we are.:) All different. :)