PDA

View Full Version : FP Friendly Blank Notebook?

Honey Mustard
September 19th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for a large, let's say 7 x 9 or larger, blank notebook that easily accepts FP ink. I have a medium sized Leuchtturm that I love and have thought of the larger master size, but hearing about paper variability has turned me off from that purchase. I don't mind gambling on a $12 notebook, but I'm loath to spend $30 on one that could be unusable for my purposes. But I can't think of a single other brand that puts out a blank notebook that large. Any suggestions?

Feardorcha
September 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I can't recommend the large blank TWSBI notebooks enough. I've gone through two already and have had no issues with feathering or bleedthough and the show through is barely noticeable even with Noodler's x feather and a 1.5 wet Lamy stub.

krazyklod
September 19th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Clairefontine are possibly the best (Rhodia uses their paper apparently) Also if it's blank paper you could find some smooth but heavy pads in your local art store.

AndyT
September 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Does it have to be hard bound? (I seem to remember that the TWSBI covers are a bit flexible, but you know what I mean). If not, and a fabric spine with durable card covers would do, then a Clairefontaine Age Bag would be top of my list on grounds of paper quality. A4, plain 90gsm paper, 96 leaves / 192 pages. RRP is £8.70 here, about $14.

Honey Mustard
September 20th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I can't recommend the large blank TWSBI notebooks enough. I've gone through two already and have had no issues with feathering or bleedthough and the show through is barely noticeable even with Noodler's x feather and a 1.5 wet Lamy stub.

I've read that the TWSBI notebooks weren't holding up too well and mine will be getting pretty heavy usage. Did yours hold up okay?

Honey Mustard
September 20th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Does it have to be hard bound? (I seem to remember that the TWSBI covers are a bit flexible, but you know what I mean). If not, and a fabric spine with durable card covers would do, then a Clairefontaine Age Bag would be top of my list on grounds of paper quality. A4, plain 90gsm paper, 96 leaves / 192 pages. RRP is £8.70 here, about $14.

It doesn't have to be hard bound. The Age Bag looks great but I don't think it's available in the U.S. I'll see if I can get it shipped here.

Feardorcha
September 20th, 2013, 05:00 PM

I've read that the TWSBI notebooks weren't holding up too well and mine will be getting pretty heavy usage. Did yours hold up okay?

Mine have been fine. I've not really had any problems and I'm not exactly precious about them. They get slung into a full bag, tossed around bent this way and that during everyday usage.

My latest one has shown signs of the page marker fraying and it looks like it may come lose but that's the worst of it.

klpeabody
September 20th, 2013, 07:05 PM
If you are looking for 7x9 or larger, then I would suggest:

Quo Vadis Habana
Apica 6A10 (7x10) (the 6A10 is lined though)
Apica CD15 (7x10) (I think this may also be available in a blank version but not positive so you may need to research it)

I have also been very happy with the Stilman & Birn Epsilon which is available in several sizes including a larger 7x10 spiral bound sketchbook size.

fncll
September 21st, 2013, 10:27 AM
If you are willing, an investment in one of the myriad jackets and then refills of a Japanese paper such as kukuyo or the like would probably fit your needs...

Honey Mustard
September 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just placed an order for a TWSBI since they're so inexpensive. If it doesn't work out I will be trying your other suggestions.