PDA

View Full Version : FPR Dilli and Adhesives for pens

yipe
September 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
So I think I broke my FPR Dilli. I was following the instructions from Stephen Brown's disassembly line video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxvpsW9WWsM), and had unscrewed the back of my Dilli completely, but an additional part came out as well. The part Stephen couldn't remove and damaged. I did not damage the threads at all. The part came out whole. It's a clear cylinder with threads on one end and a certain shape to the inside so that the piston only fits inside it one way (so you can turn the threads and not just turn the piston obviously). Inside the pen there is a small ridge that provides a positive stop for this part. On the outside there's a small irregular patch that has a bit of texture to it, and makes me think this part was simply glued in. I'm pretty sure if I just glue it back in, my pen will be good as new. Which leads to my question.

What kind of glue would you use on the inside of a plastic demonstrator pen?

I also emailed Kevin at Fountain Pen Revolution asking him if this is the correct repair procedure and what glue he thinks I should use. I'll definitely update you with his response.

Jeph
September 19th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I would wait for his answer, but thank you for sharing what he tells you.

yipe
September 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Kevin just got back to me, and he said I was right, they are just glued in place. He's seen this sort of thing happen a few times before, and in the past he's repaired them with a drop of super glue. So it looks like I'm golden, AND I get a chance to lubricate my piston before I put it back together. Sweet all around.

cwent2
September 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I had the same thing happen to me with the one I won, but the threads for the piston also stripped. Kevin sent me another pen.

yipe
September 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM
My pen is repaired and working better than ever since I was able to liberally glob silicone grease all over those threads. I just filled it up with Diamine Oxblood ('cause I just got a full bottle and it sounded like more fun than Pelikan Brilliant Black) and it's totally back up to form.

I do wish that stub gave a little more line variation though.

fncll
September 20th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I do wish that stub gave a little more line variation though.

I just ordered a few more stub nibs so I could attempt some grinding for just that reason...the nibs fit the Ranga dip pens, which are a bargain, and my go-to pen for ink testing/reviews...

yipe
September 20th, 2013, 01:09 AM
I just ordered a few more stub nibs so I could attempt some grinding for just that reason...the nibs fit the Ranga dip pens, which are a bargain, and my go-to pen for ink testing/reviews...
That's cool, are you just going to grind at the top and bottom to try and get a finer hairline from them, or are you going to completely rework them into a whole new animal?

fncll
September 20th, 2013, 01:53 AM
I'm going to attempt to narrow the hairline...we'll see how it goes. I'll report back here if it works. Or even if it doesn't :) At worst it'll become a stub!