PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's Park Red

Yazeh
September 13th, 2023, 02:14 PM
Pinkish Red ink from Noodler's, made in honour of Park Sang Hak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Sang-hak), a North Korean defector now living in South Korea who sends propaganda balloons back to the North.

You can watch more about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMQFp9qBCHU&feature=youtu.be
The info by Mr. Tardiff is not 100% accurate.

I wish I could like this ink. But I don’t. It’s one of those smear inks. I think the best thing is to send this in one of Mr. Park’s balloons over to North Korea. 😛

The only way I could tame this ink was with Peter Pauper Press notebooks with their thick, absorbent paper.

If you're looking for waterproof bright red, this not one of them. As of now, Noodler's Fox Red/ Esenin and De Atramentis Document/ Artist Red are the best behaved waterproof inks I know of.

Let's start with the watermelon coloured chroma:
Writing samples:
As you can see I had a bit of smudge disaster all over the place:
It didn't like Hammermill as you can see:

Photo:

Comparison:
Water test: I filled an eyedropper with water, and this was the effect.
and per usual an art work: Cat & mouse Gangnam style, the grey is De Atramentis Document Urban Grey....
Note how the application of a wet brush obliterates the pink lines and leaves a greyish line.
Hope it brings a smile :)
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dg8w6ra-5bbc479f-2a90-4068-99dc-1cd5b00d03f6.jpg/v1/fill/w_858,h_931,q_70,strp/cat_and_mouse_gangnam_style_by_yazeh1_dg8w6ra-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9MTM4OCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU 0YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGc4dzZyYS01Y mJjNDc5Zi0yYTkwLTQwNjgtOTlkYy0xY2Q1YjAwZDAzZjYuanB nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlc nZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.I1y35H9QGM6cesyA oEO8zPNRc_onLWwEmSUQNY7S0Zw

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Kaweco(EF/F/M/B/Stub 1.9), Osmioroid Copperplate
· What I liked: Writing on thick absorbent paper, history lesson, and drawing
· What I did not like: Long dry times, not waterproof and smudges all over the place.
· Who might like this ink: K-Pop/ K-drama fans....
· Shading: I doubt it.
· Ghosting: Yes, on cheap thin paper
· Bleed through: Same as above
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Good from fine above
· Nib Dry-out: No.
· Start-up: No.
· Saturation: Yes.
· Shading Potential: Doubt it.
· Sheen: No.
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: No
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.
· Staining (pen): No.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Kaweco was easy, Osmiroid and Kakuno were slightly more difficult. I suspect if this ink stay a long time in the pen, the pink element might be difficult to clean.
· Water resistance: It has some water resistance with a minor spill, but don't count on it.
· Availability: 3 oz /90 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

LizEF
September 13th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another review! I like the shade of red (I think, from most of the images). Too bad it's not better-behaved. I sometimes wonder how Nathan Tardiff tests his inks and decides they're good for general use... :/ Anywho, after looking up "Gangnam style", I love kitty and mousey in said style! :D It was already fun, but it was more fun once I understood. I'm all in on helping pay to ship a bottle of ink over to South Korea so it can then be sent by balloon to the North... :) (I guess the winds there must be cooperative...)

mizgeorge
September 13th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Thank you @Yazeh - great review, and lovely sketches!

It's quite a pretty colour, but other than quite liking the name, (and the idea of sending it up in a balloon), it has little to recommend it, I suspect!

Carpio
September 13th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Hello,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGc_NfiTxng
I laughed so hard when I saw mousy doing Gangnam style, I nearly fell out the bed. The picture is running the Camel real close
Send Psy into North Korea with a message for Kim Jog On.. 2 ounces of lead straight between the eyes.

catbert
September 13th, 2023, 07:41 PM
@Yazeh: Definitely brings a smile. Thanks for doing these. :)

Yazeh
September 14th, 2023, 04:58 AM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another review! I like the shade of red (I think, from most of the images). Too bad it's not better-behaved.
Most welcome. I really liked it too until the smear "campaign" began ;)

I sometimes wonder how Nathan Tardiff tests his inks and decides they're good for general use... :/
Me too. Some of his inks are well behaved and then he churns this one :(

Anywho, after looking up "Gangnam style", I love kitty and mousey in said style! :D It was already fun, but it was more fun once I understood.
That was my intention. We all need to smile more. Gangnam apparently is equivalent to Beverly Hills, and hence it's poking fun at the rich :D

I'm all in on helping pay to ship a bottle of ink over to South Korea so it can then be sent by balloon to the North... :) (I guess the winds there must be cooperative...)
Yep. Me too. :crazy_pilot:

Yazeh
September 14th, 2023, 05:01 AM
Thank you @Yazeh - great review, and lovely sketches!

It's quite a pretty colour, but other than quite liking the name, (and the idea of sending it up in a balloon), it has little to recommend it, I suspect!

🙏. Yes indeed it's pretty, But that's where it stops and yes we might all pitch in and send him some ink.
There are how some of his balloons look like:
https://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1403674/north-korea-propaganda-balloons.webp?w=736&f=3d4acfc5a5a6b5a2922ccc60e04acce2

Yazeh
September 14th, 2023, 05:02 AM
Hello,

I laughed so hard when I saw mousy doing Gangnam style, I nearly fell out the bed. The picture is running the Camel real close
Send Psy into North Korea with a message for Kim Jog On.. 2 ounces of lead straight between the eyes.

:pound: I'm so glad! Anything that make dictators tremble :D

Yazeh
September 14th, 2023, 05:03 AM
@Yazeh: Definitely brings a smile. Thanks for doing these. :)

Thanks! It means a lot 🙏

Sailor Kenshin
September 14th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Yazeh, I like this color in real life (eg: clothes, shoes). Not so sure about the ink. But I do soooo love your reviews, the writing, the jistory, the comparisons (I liked MI Skrip Red) and most of all, Kitteh and Mousie all dressed up and the bow on Kitteh's tail.

Thank you! 🎉 💝

Yazeh
September 14th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Yazeh, I like this color in real life (eg: clothes, shoes). Not so sure about the ink. But I do soooo love your reviews, the writing, the jistory, the comparisons (I liked MI Skrip Red) and most of all, Kitteh and Mousie all dressed up and the bow on Kitteh's tail.

Thank you! 🎉 💝

Your comments are spot on and your kindness much appreciated 🙏