PDA

View Full Version : AMC's The Walking Dead

klpeabody
February 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Is anyone else here as hooked as I am? Please don't tell me that I'm the only zombie geek in the house. :D

bgray
February 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM
We're watching. My wife is nuts for it. I'm following along with her.

John the Monkey
February 21st, 2012, 08:52 AM
I liked it, although there's a lotta bludgeoning, hacking going on :)

We're a little behind you guys here in the UK, so Season One is as far as I've got. Fairly impressed by Andrew Lincoln, who I last saw playing hopeless dreamer "Egg" in "This Life". As a Zombie movie fan, it's interesting to see these narratives played out over a longer format - I'm looking forward to seeing where the creators take the series.

dannzeman
February 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
If I watched more than an hour of tv a week this would probably be a show I'd watch. Usually, I only keep up on The Big Bang Theory and Parks and Rec.

KrazyIvan
February 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
I hardly watch TV but I do kill zombies in my spare time. On my iPod. :P

klpeabody
February 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
haha!! Thanks you guys for responding!! Was anyone else as surprised as I was to find that the zombies in this show can actually run? I think the creators make great use of that. Freaks me out every time, though.

We're watching. My wife is nuts for it. I'm following along with her.
LOL! Brian, please give your wife a hi five for me. I'm definitely nuts for it, myself. Can't go a week without watching it. I'm delighted that the show has returned from it's midseason hiatus. =)

I liked it, although there's a lotta bludgeoning, hacking going on :)

We're a little behind you guys here in the UK, so Season One is as far as I've got. Fairly impressed by Andrew Lincoln, who I last saw playing hopeless dreamer "Egg" in "This Life". As a Zombie movie fan, it's interesting to see these narratives played out over a longer format - I'm looking forward to seeing where the creators take the series.

Yeah, there is a lot of bludgeoning, but I also think it's part of what makes the show so good. It actually ends up making the show seem realistic.

Andrew Lincoln really shines in this role, and I look forward to seeing him as Rick Grimes every week. I was also surprised to learn that he is a Brit, which I think speaks to his acting ability. When I first started watching the show, I thought that he must be a native southerner. I couldn't have been more wrong. lol. I have not seen his other work, and, frankly, was not aware of him until now.

Like you, I'm curious as to where the creators plan to take the show as well. I'm practically sitting on the edge of my seat, anxiously awaiting next week's episode. Since you've only seen the first season, I'll do my best to refrain from discussing any plot developments. I think I remember that this was also an issue with the TV Show, LOST. There was quite a dedicated following for that show as well, and folks on the other side of the pond were typically one season behind (I think. Or, was it ahead? Can't remember). It's tough with a show like this one where each week is a critical link in the chain. I can definitely say that I don't think you will be disappointed.

If I watched more than an hour of tv a week this would probably be a show I'd watch. Usually, I only keep up on The Big Bang Theory and Parks and Rec.

Now, that's discipline! Dan, I have to tell you, I'm a little surprised. I had you pegged as a Walking Dead addict. ;-)

I hardly watch TV but I do kill zombies in my spare time. On my iPod. :P

You crack me up! Actually, I wish my geek skills extended to knowing how to create iPod games, because I think I've got a couple of good zombie game ideas brewing. :D

Tracy Lee
February 22nd, 2012, 12:17 PM
I am on board as a Zombie freak, too. We watch faithfully at my house. If you like to read, check out World War Z. More good zobie stuff!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

bgray
February 22nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Like I said, I'm OK on Walking Dead.

But I'm crazy for Breaking Bad. Holy smokes is that a wonderful show!

klpeabody
February 22nd, 2012, 07:33 PM

That's actually the next show on my list. I keep hearing great stuff about it. I'll definitely be getting back with you on that one.

klpeabody
February 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
If you like to read, check out World War Z. More good zobie stuff!

I have been curious about this, and have *almost* downloaded it to my Kindle so many times. Perhaps now, on your recommendation, I'll give it a try.

Tracy Lee
February 22nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
I think you would not be disappointed. It is a very different take on things, written in the form of interviews of those right in the front lines, so to speak. Tells you how it all begins, too. I am reading on the Kindle as well.

klpeabody
February 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I think you would not be disappointed. It is a very different take on things, written in the form of interviews of those right in the front lines, so to speak. Tells you how it all begins, too. I am reading on the Kindle as well.

Tracy, I downloaded it today. I will probably start it in a day or two. Thanks for the recommendation.

klpeabody
February 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Brian, I checked out Breaking Bad. In some ways, I think it's more gross than The Walking Dead. And, it's definitely WAAAYYYYY more crazy. WAY more!! It's a good show though. I'm definitely enjoying it.

bgray
February 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I assume that you just started the 1st season? That bathtub scene is a little gross, but that's it (I didn't just spoil anything, don't worry). Nothing from here on out will be as gross as that....so I'll contend that Walking Dead is more gory! :)

But I really think that Breaking Bad is the best series that I've ever seen...my opinion. I love how everything is very true to life. All of his actions have consequences. It's very very realistic. I love putting myself in his situations mentally, and try to work out how he will get through something. Then sometimes he does, sometimes he does not. I'd love to quote specific examples, but I won't discuss the plot here...it's too good to spoil.

As opposed to Dexter, who snakes his way out of every single situation unscathed. Don't get me wrong, I like Dexter, but Breaking Bad does not ask you to suspend disbelief.

Also - I LOVE Bryan Cranston. When I see him in this, I totally forget that he was "Watley the Dentist" on Seinfeld, which would be the easiest way to typecast him.

klpeabody
February 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
To tell the truth, the bathtub scene really shocked me. But, since I am an avid follower of the zombie apocalypse, I really can't complain. I was very surprised though! =)

From what I have seen so far, you are exactly right. It's very realistic, and he does have to figure his way out of his situations. I was never a fan of Dexter, but I get what you mean. I have watched other shows that create their own "perfect world" where the protagonist operates freely amidst circumstances that only a Hollywood creative team could come up with. Which is fine, but after a while the story begins to lose credibility with me and I get a little bored, that's all. So, I appreciate your remarks, and agree that this is what makes this kind of show enjoyable.

I was not an avid follower of Seinfeld, so I don't remember him from that. But, he does look familiar to me and I couldn't place him so I looked him up on IMDB. It seems that he has actually been in a lot of shows, and also appeared recently in the movie "Contagion". I do remember him from that. He has a nice range, and I like watching people who can actually "act" and "become their character", so to speak.

I'll be following this one from now on, so thanks for the recommendation!

Tracy Lee
February 27th, 2012, 09:14 PM
My husband really enjoyed Breaking Bad and so it is next on my streaming list for Netflix. We also love Weeds in terms of its outrageously insane plots and story lines but ability to entertain quickly.

klpeabody
February 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I must admit, Breaking Bad definitely has me laughing a lot. It has its serious moments too, but it also can be outrageously funny. I just can't believe some of the stuff that happens. =)

AndyLa
March 10th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Jumping in a little late here, but i am also a zombie nut. I watch the walking dead (missed a few episodes from the beinning of season 2). Great show. Also a fan of zombie movies and zombie video games!

Although, depending on who you ask, zombies should not be able to really run or have any logical thought.

Also, they did a special on i think the history channel called zombies vs vampires. It was pretty interesting. Modern tech meets experts.

Maja
March 13th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I am on board as a Zombie freak, too. We watch faithfully at my house. If you like to read, check out World War Z. More good zobie stuff!

My husband and I both love "The Walking Dead" and he enjoyed "World War Z" (which I haven't read yet).
He also recommended the book "Patient Zero" by Jonathan Maberry so I read it and loved it. Highly recommended!

Looking forward to the season finale of "Walking Dead" next Sunday. The last couple of weeks have seen more action and deaths than we've seen in a long time!

peterpen53
March 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Looking forward to the season finale of "Walking Dead" next Sunday. The last couple of weeks have seen more action and deaths than we've seen in a long time!

And you're watching this for fun? Hmmmm..., I must be missing something. :confused:

speedmaster
March 14th, 2012, 11:55 AM
DEEPLY hooked over here. Can't wait for the finale!

Maja
March 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM
And you're watching this for fun? Hmmmm..., I must be missing something. :confused:

Well, I don't think I'm the only fan that thinks a lot of the time spent on Hershel's farm has been wasted, esp. after such a great start to the series in the 1st season....I'm just saying that's it's nice to see something happening on the show in terms of the overall story arc.

peterpen53
March 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Please enjoy it, Maja. I have no access to North American television so I really don't know what you're talking about, but your statement made me chuckle quite a bit. And I watch very little TV anyway, so many other interesting things...

Cheers,
Peter

klpeabody
March 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Jumping in a little late here, but i am also a zombie nut. I watch the walking dead (missed a few episodes from the beinning of season 2). Great show. Also a fan of zombie movies and zombie video games!

Although, depending on who you ask, zombies should not be able to really run or have any logical thought.

Also, they did a special on i think the history channel called zombies vs vampires. It was pretty interesting. Modern tech meets experts.

Hey Andy,
great to see you here at the FPgeeks forum! I keep meaning to reach out to you to set up a local pen meeting! We will have to do that sometime in the near future.

I always thought zombies couldn't run, and that that was an undisputed fact in zombie world. That is why I am surprised to see it in this show, and it seemed particularly pronounced during the "school scene" with Shane and Otis running through the school. It was just an adrenaline pumping episode, that's all.

I have not seen the zombies v. vampires special. That concept makes me laugh though. I will have to check it out just for ha ha's.

klpeabody
March 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
agreed. the last few weeks have been quite riveting as far as the plot goes. I admit that the Hershel's farm aspect has been interesting, but was starting to drag. I have been waiting for the farm to be suddenly ambushed by zombies because, well, it just seems logical. And, we seem to be getting there. Although, it took them quite a while. Frankly, I expected this right after the incident at the barn after the mid-season cliffhanger due to all of the gunshot sounds attracting random zombies from everywhere. I have not been following the comics at all, which the series seems to be based on, but I'm curious to see what happens now that Shane is officially gone.

klpeabody
March 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
DEEPLY hooked over here. Can't wait for the finale!

me too!

Maja
March 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Please enjoy it, Maja. I have no access to North American television so I really don't know what you're talking about, but your statement made me chuckle quite a bit. And I watch very little TV anyway, so many other interesting things...

Cheers,
Peter

<chuckling> No problem, Peter; I thought you were a regular viewer of the show!
I admit that wanting to see "more action and deaths" does sound rather odd, but in a zombie-themed show, that's a good thing ;)

The Follows
April 1st, 2012, 09:26 PM
I'd have to say yes. The last book I read was Zone One: A Novel by Colson Whitehead. Nice near future story about a zombie "sweeper" in NYC. No cable for me, so I'm always a box set behind. Not always a bad thing, I got through A Game of Thrones in a week. Little ones in the house do put a crimp in my zombie watching.

Tracy Lee
April 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Reading Zone One on the tablet now. Must share that we saw a bumper sticker last night that said "Humans, the other white meat" and knew all of you in this thread would appreciate. :D

klpeabody
April 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM
Must share that we saw a bumper sticker last night that said "Humans, the other white meat" and knew all of you in this thread would appreciate. :D

haha! I do appreciate! thanks, Tracy!