PDA

View Full Version : My current pen collection

Saintpaulia
September 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Here is a photo of my current pen collection. I thought it might be of interest to some. I posted a photo of my collection back in 2012 but things have changed some since then. I've been collecting fountain pens since April 2012. You may notice that most of my pens are of the small kind. This is due to my small hand (& I am right handed). Any pen with a grip section diameter over 9 mm. generally does not make it into my inventory.

OK now on the pens. They are arranged, in this photo, in chronological order from when I got each. From left to right they are:

Sheaffer Student cartridge fill [Medium nib]
Pilot Cavalier [M]
Pilot 78G [M]
Jinhao 165 [M]
Parker Jotter [M] in plastic
Diplomat Traveler [M]
Kaigelu 363 [F]
Parker Arrow [M]
Hero 399e [F]
Parker 45 [M]
Parker Jotter [M] in stainless steel
Parker Vacumatic 1945 [M]
Pelikan P55 Futura [B]
Duke 1853 [M-B]
Kailgelu 357 [M]
Wahl-Waterman hybrid circa 1930s [F to flex]

Sixteen in all. Over the past 18 months I've ordered many, many more pens than these but kept only these.

Cheers, Breck

kaisnowbird
September 19th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for sharing. :thumb:
I don't care for oversize pens either, they are not so portable.
I'd be interested to hear your experience with the Diplomat Traveler. For some weeks I considered buying that pen in the same colour you have but have been distracted ever since. How does the material feel and how is its fit and finish? Cheers.

Saintpaulia
September 19th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing. :thumb:
I don't care for oversize pens either, they are not so portable.
I'd be interested to hear your experience with the Diplomat Traveler. For some weeks I considered buying that pen in the same colour you have but have been distracted ever since. How does the material feel and how is its fit and finish? Cheers.
Dear Kai, I was not quite sure just what value my thread might have but decided it couldn't hurt. But now, seeing the questions that arose as a result, I am more convinced of its value. I would not characterize pens larger than mine as "over-sized" simply because mine are so small! For me over-sized pens are larger than average sized pens. Unfortunately, "average-sized" pens for me are too big!

Now on to the Diplomat Traveler in turquoise. Interesting that you considered not only this model but also the same color. I like these pastel colors that the Traveler comes in. Very few folks even know about Diplomat. Anyway, my Diplomat Traveler is one of five pens that I use regularly and which are my favorites because they are so comfortable to my hand (the other four are my Sheaffer Student, Pilot Cavalier, Parker Arrow and my late Noodler Nib Creaper).

The Traveler is just the right size and weight for me. It is 19.23 grams and has a grip diameter (perfect for me) of 8.5 mm. Very well balanced posted. The only complaint I have about it is that it does not post well. The texture of the barrel's finish is such that the cap does not easily attach. But other than that, a very fine pen at a reasonable price. The nib in particular is very well made, smooth, a true medium and never gives me problems: no skipping and no having to fiddle with it to get it to start writing after I've left it alone for days. I would buy it again. And it is so nice it has made me curious about the higher priced Diplomats.

Hope this helps you, Breck

Jeph
September 20th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for reminding me that I need to put a Sheaffer student pen back into my rotation!

I think that this post is useful for people that also prefer "normal" and smaller pens to get some perspective.

Have you tried some of the vintage Sheaffer balances? Many people scoff at the slim, "ladies" and "petit" versions and that allows you to get them for a pretty good value.

ukpenman
September 20th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Here is a photo of my current pen collection. I thought it might be of interest to some. I posted a photo of my collection back in 2012 but things have changed some since then. I've been collecting fountain pens since April 2012. You may notice that most of my pens are of the small kind. This is due to my small hand (& I am right handed). Any pen with a grip section diameter over 9 mm. generally does not make it into my inventory.

OK now on the pens. They are arranged, in this photo, in chronological order from when I got each. From left to right they are:

Sheaffer Student cartridge fill [Medium nib]
Pilot Cavalier [M]
Pilot 78G [M]
Jinhao 165 [M]
Parker Jotter [M] in plastic
Diplomat Traveler [M]
Kaigelu 363 [F]
Parker Arrow [M]
Hero 399e [F]
Parker 45 [M]
Parker Jotter [M] in stainless steel
Parker Vacumatic 1945 [M]
Pelikan P55 Futura [B]
Duke 1853 [M-B]
Kailgelu 357 [M]
Wahl-Waterman hybrid circa 1930s [F to flex]

Sixteen in all. Over the past 18 months I've ordered many, many more pens than these but kept only these.

Cheers, Breck

How do you get on with your Pilot 78G? I'm about to buy one with a double broad nib.

kaisnowbird
September 20th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Hi Breck, thanks for the very helpful and prompt advice. ;)

Smaller pens are not only cute, we can carry more of them in the same pen case. Curiously, you don't seem to have one of those mini size FPs in your collection, for example Kewaco Liliput.

Good to hear that the Diplomat Traveler works nicely. I should put that on my wishlist again, or maybe a slightly higher end Diplomat.

Another thing I like about your collection is the good mix of colours in their. They look so happy. :clap2:

Saintpaulia
September 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for reminding me that I need to put a Sheaffer student pen back into my rotation!
I think that this post is useful for people that also prefer "normal" and smaller pens to get some perspective.
Have you tried some of the vintage Sheaffer balances? Many people scoff at the slim, "ladies" and "petit" versions and that allows you to get them for a pretty good value.
Jeph, I have not tried these. I really am not looking to buy any more 'slim, ladies or petit' pens. I have, as can be seen, many already. I don't need anymore. My collecting focus now is upon wet noodles, esp. the iconic Waterman 52 1/2 V. Unfortunately everyone and his dog are looking for the same thing.

Saintpaulia
September 20th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Dear UK, my Pilot 78G is my 'go to pen'. It resides permanently on my desk, at hand, with Noodler's X-Feather black in it. I love this pen and I believe the 78G is the most under-rated, underappreciated pen in the under $30.00 class. As for the broads, make sure you understand that these are not "true" broads, i.e. with tipping. They are stub italics, which in my book, is not a broad. My Pelikan P55 is a true broad, with tipping and hence a rounded point.

Saintpaulia
September 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Hi Breck, thanks for the very helpful and prompt advice. ;)
Smaller pens are not only cute, we can carry more of them in the same pen case. Curiously, you don't seem to have one of those mini size FPs in your collection, for example Kewaco Liliput. Good to hear that the Diplomat Traveler works nicely. I should put that on my wishlist again, or maybe a slightly higher end Diplomat. Another thing I like about your collection is the good mix of colours in their. They look so happy. :clap2:

Hey Kai. Well for me smaller pens are not cute as their primary attribute. They are simply pragmatic for my hand. The Pilot 78G is about as big as I can comfortably write with and it has a 9 mm. grip section. As for the Kawecos, I've tried them and found them to not perform well. Skipping, poor quality control on the nibs, etc. I wouldn't have one. I can well imagine looking for a higher end Diplomat after the excellent impression my Traveler has left. But as I said elsewhere, I am not buying any more pens until I find my quasi-hemi-semi-demi wet noodle. Yes the colors are nice. I do consciously try to not duplicate colors when at all possible. As for sheer beauty in coloration, I nominate my Pilot Cavalier. The color is a true Prussian blue, and with the gold furniture, it is so pretty.

Saintpaulia
September 21st, 2013, 04:41 PM
For those of you who found the pens interesting, I thought you might also find of some interest what inks are in each. Here they are:

Sheaffer Student cartridge fill [Medium nib] - Noodler's Habañero
Pilot Cavalier [M] - Akkerman Trèves Turquoise
Pilot 78G [M] - Noodler X-Feather black
Jinhao 165 [M] - empty
Parker Jotter [M] in plastic - Iroshizuku Yama-guri
Diplomat Traveler [M] - Noodler Saguaro Wine+Cactus Fruit Eel mix
Kaigelu 363 [F] - Akkerman Hopjesbruin
Parker Arrow [M] - J. Herbin Terre de Feu
Hero 399e [F] - empty
Parker 45 [M] - empty
Parker Jotter [M] in stainless steel - Noodler Liberty's Elysium
Parker Vacumatic 1945 [M] - J. Herbin Violette Pensée
Pelikan P55 Futura [B] - Rohrer and Klingner Alt-Goldgrün
Duke 1853 [M-B] - Caran d'Ache Storm
Kailgelu 357 [M] - J. Herbin Rouge Hematite
Wahl-Waterman hybrid circa 1930s [F to flex] - Waterman Florida Blue

Bogon07
September 23rd, 2013, 04:43 PM
Breck, it is always interesting to see other people's pen collections and having your laid out chronologically is fascinating as is your selection of inks for the pens.
Thanks for sharing
Ken

Saintpaulia
September 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM
Breck, it is always interesting to see other people's pen collections and having your laid out chronologically is fascinating as is your selection of inks for the pens.
Thanks for sharing
Ken
Thanks Ken. Another thing that might add to your interest is the fact that these current 16 pens are the "survivors" of 59 pens I've bought and tried out since April 20, 2012. Also, please note that the Wahl-Waterman (on the extreme right) is for sale. If you are interested drop me a line at catevala@hotmail.com I'll send you some pics and a price. Breck

Bogon07
September 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Breck, that was a massive 'cull' from 59 to 16 :jaw:

The Duke 1853 even made it to a SBRE Brown video review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0eTRg8Grhc

Saintpaulia
September 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Breck, that was a massive 'cull' from 59 to 16 :jaw:
The Duke 1853 even made it to a SBRE Brown video review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0eTRg8Grhc
It all happened gradually in the course of events. I would buy a pen, receive in the mail, try it out and if I couldn't use it I either sent it back for a refund or sold it (or in one case gave it to a friend). Also there was more of this in the early days of my collecting when I did not know anything. Now that I have my "parameters" it happens less often, but it does still happen. I had to give up on my Parker 61 recently, and now I have a flex nibbed pen I need to sell.

As for SBRE, yes he and I actually met and forged our friendship over that pen. He was kind enough to let me send it to him back when I didn't know how to increase a pen's flow, and also back when he wasn't getting pens sent to him by "fans". I think my Duke started a trend there. I still have that Duke though. I can't use it at all. Much too heavy. But it is one of the few I've kept for sentimental reasons and because I still like the way it looks!

Cheers, Breck

jfsisler
September 28th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Breck, this is such a nice collection! I'm envious:) I'm with you though, I don't like overly heavy pens. I have such small hands (I wear extra small gloves in handbell choir) that a heavy pen is too tiresome to use - You've seen my letters, I don't think I can write anything shorter than three pages;) The lighter the better for me. That being said, my TWISBI is heavy but the weight is such that it feels balanced and I don't post it, so it's do-able. I really the Wahl Waterman hybrid - interesting combo. I like flat top pens for some reason too...guess they just look more old fashioned to me. Nice collection. THanks for sharing with us.