PDA

View Full Version : De Atramentis Document Red Grey

Yazeh
September 20th, 2023, 04:36 AM
I really enjoyed using this ink. It’s an improved version of Noodler’s Red Black with the added full waterproofness, until I reached the cleaning part. It was not as straightforward as I thought. The ink managed to stain my Lamy convertor and in the end after soaking for few hours in water, the red dye was more than tenacious. So, I simply dunked it in my Monteverde cleaning solution and the problem was solved.
However it didn't stain the Pilot CON-40 nor the cheap nonane Chinese convertor.

This is not a deal breaker for me. The worst thing is when ink smudges or refuses to dry, then bleed through. The rest I can live with, if I really like the ink.
It also doesn't like cheap thin papers.
Let's start with the chroma:
Writing samples:
It doesn't like thin copy paper.

Photo:
Comparison:
Water-test: (Nothing budges)
and finally an artwork. from a drawing challenge, entitled Solar System with my cat and mouse characters :)
Fountain pen inks De Atramentis Urban Grey / Red Grey
Kuretake brush pen (black)
Water colour (blue), Silver marker
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dg8z4ze-bc3b24c5-e43e-4e82-9df6-49d58563c390.jpg/v1/fill/w_867,h_922,q_70,strp/deviant_art___challenge___solar_system_by_yazeh1_d g8z4ze-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9MTM2MSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU 0YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGc4ejR6ZS1iY zNiMjRjNS1lNDNlLTRlODItOWRmNi00OWQ1ODU2M2MzOTAuanB nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlc nZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.reBEkKz6nPlyyrUj qxEs9c2hDhzpa4auD8Hv6iqom3Y

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, (Lamy EF/F/M/B/Stub 1.1), Osmiroid Copperplate nib
· What I liked: Well lubricated, intriguing colour.
· What disappointed me: Staining of Lamy convertor (a first for me), and cleaning.
· What some might not like: High maintenance cleaning, staining convertor, doesn't like cheap thin paper.
· Shading: Yes
· Ghosting: No.
· Bleed through:
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Excellent - Cushiony
· Nib Dry-out: No.
· Start-up: No.
· Saturation: No.
· Shading Potential: Yes
· Sheen: No.
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: No.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Didn’t notice.
· Staining (pen): Yes, Lamy convertor!
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: The red dye is tenacious.
· Water resistance: Excellent.
· Availability: 45 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

Carpio
September 20th, 2023, 05:44 AM
Mousey, carrying steroid taking kitteh with the world on his shoulders? Know how he feels
I would call it brown to my eyes. I quite like it.
Thanks for the review, Yazeh.

Yazeh
September 20th, 2023, 07:23 AM
Mousey, carrying steroid taking kitteh with the world on his shoulders? Know how he feels
I would call it brown to my eyes. I quite like it.
Thanks for the review, Yazeh.

A pleasure !

Sailor Kenshin
September 20th, 2023, 09:02 AM
I remember Black Cherry!

As for the Ink du Jour, I like the color, and the comparisons, AND the Kitteh/Mousie cosmos. (I'm not sure I'd buy it, though.)

I also love how thoroughly you 'Document' all the inks you test. Thanks, Yazeh!

penwash
September 20th, 2023, 09:09 AM
Another interesting water-resistant ink in dusky color.
Something that I currently like to use with my sketches.

Thank you for reviewing this, Yazeh!

LizEF
September 20th, 2023, 09:16 AM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another fun and thorough review! Not sure I trust kitty - what happens when he spots the Enterprise and starts ek-ek-ek-ing? ;) Perhaps sophisticated water-test kitty and mouse are toasting their cousins' success. :) Also not sure about the ink. The cleaning sounds un-fun, but I guess if pen flush takes care of it, it's not the end of the world... :pound:

Yazeh
September 20th, 2023, 11:19 AM
I remember Black Cherry!

As for the Ink du Jour, I like the color, and the comparisons, AND the Kitteh/Mousie cosmos. (I'm not sure I'd buy it, though.)

I also love how thoroughly you 'Document' all the inks you test. Thanks, Yazeh!

Always a pleasure! I love the jeu de mots :rockon:

Yazeh
September 20th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Another interesting water-resistant ink in dusky color.
Something that I currently like to use with my sketches.

Thank you for reviewing this, Yazeh!

Always a pleasure 🙏 Yes it's fun for sketching though, I wouldn't put it in one of delicious vintage pens :)

Yazeh
September 20th, 2023, 11:25 AM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another fun and thorough review! 🙏

Not sure I trust kitty - what happens when he spots the Enterprise and starts ek-ek-ek-ing? ;)
Well there's always superMaus ;)

Perhaps sophisticated water-test kitty and mouse are toasting their cousins' success. :) Who knows :D

Also not sure about the ink. The cleaning sounds un-fun, but I guess if pen flush takes care of it, it's not the end of the world... :pound:
Ah, I see someone is having funs with puns :p

mizgeorge
September 20th, 2023, 01:05 PM
I didn't know this even existed - so thank you Yazeh for that, as well as the review.

I like the colour - though I have a number of inks I also like in similar shades, and the occasional stained converter really doesn't bother me, so this might well be in my future. Along with so many others!

Yazeh
September 20th, 2023, 01:15 PM
I didn't know this even existed - so thank you Yazeh for that, as well as the review.🙏

I like the colour - though I have a number of inks I also like in similar shades, and the occasional stained converter really doesn't bother me, so this might well be in my future. Along with so many others!
Glad to hear that :)