PDA

View Full Version : Where to apply silicone grease?

Roefisher
September 20th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Hello folks,

I'm a new member, named Mark, and have been looking around for a few days. A very well laid out, interesting and informative forum with good character. So a hearty hello from myself to everyone. I have a question which concerns the greasing of the piston area after cleaning. To explain;

I have recently taken delivery of a second-hand Pelikan and there was a trace of ink (which was a beautiful deep purple, magenta colour) in the body of the pen, especially around the piston head area and the nib threads.

So, earlier yesterday, I soaked and cleaned the pen using the usual ammonia and water mix which worked really well, removing nearly all the ink except for a little stubborn amount around the nib threads but I think this is normal. Anyway, before reassembling, I would like to ask where exactly do I put the silicone grease now? My first guess was to put it lightly over all the rubber piece and the threaded rod, then I read about someone only rubbing it on the pen body above the rubber with no mention of it being needed anywhere else.

Can I ask, what is the correct way to silicone grease the piston area?

Cheers,

Mark

Feardorcha
September 21st, 2013, 01:11 AM
Hello Mark and welcome to the forums.

SBRE Brown has an excellent video on piston maintenance that should answer you questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFXtFUEEGE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Roefisher
September 21st, 2013, 02:32 AM
Thank you very much for the welcome.

Funny, I've watched quite a few of Stephen's videos but missed that one! It's excellent and has been a great help.

Notes taken and I'll reassemble the pen later.

Cheers,

Mark

Tracy Lee
September 21st, 2013, 05:20 AM
A hearty hello back to you! Welcome.:sly::)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Feardorcha
September 21st, 2013, 06:58 AM
Thank you very much for the welcome.

Funny, I've watched quite a few of Stephen's videos but missed that one! It's excellent and has been a great help.

Notes taken and I'll reassemble the pen later.

Cheers,

Mark

De nada.

We're a friendly bunch here. If there's anything else you want to ask, feel free. One of us is likely to know the answer or where to look for it.

cwent2
September 21st, 2013, 08:55 AM
:welcome:to the forum

earthdawn
September 21st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Welcome...

Glad to see you already got some help.

As said before we are a friendly bunch :welcome: