PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Write and Draw - Fox Grey

Yazeh
October 4th, 2023, 09:36 AM
There’s something about Octopus Write and Draw series. They have been a breath of fresh air, in the permanent ink world. Fox Grey isn't any different. It even makes the scratchy Kakuno Ef a pleasure to write with. The colour is pleasing, a warmish blue grey.

Octopus has a host of warnings and does not recommend you using it in your favorite fountain pen. And recommends a well-sealed pen, which is a no brainer. In my experience it's best to use these inks in pens that can be fully dismantled.

They also suggest that the shelf life of their ink is two years, which is a bit surprising.
The ink is ISO 12757-2 and DIN ISO 14145-2

Here is the list of complete line up:
https://www.octopus-office.de/shop/en/creative-inks/write-draw-ink/?p=1

And warnings:
https://www.octopus-office.de/info/en/write-draw-ink/

Let's start with the chroma: You can see clearly see the purplish grey.
Writing samples:
As you can see the wetter/wider the nib, the more ghosting /bleeding there'll be.
Photo: which shows the bluish tinge.
Comparison:
Water test: [after 24 hrs, nothing budged]

And finally a tiny artwork inspired by the ink:
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dganrva-2536eb67-db7e-4790-837f-7cfaea51008c.jpg/v1/fit/w_828,h_1070,q_70,strp/grey_fox_by_yazeh1_dganrva-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9. eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZD QxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgy MjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaW dodCI6Ijw9MTY1NCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU0 YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdhbnJ2YS0yNT M2ZWI2Ny1kYjdlLTQ3OTAtODM3Zi03Y2ZhZWE1MTAwOGMuanBn Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcn ZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ._uNGgmkb2Lc1s3lPn-WWyvsb6AsUdzW3iIEywEShCB8

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Stub, Kaweco Sport (EF/F/M/B), Kanwrite with Ahab nib
· What I liked: Beautiful colour, very well behaved.
· What I did not like: Nothing.
· What some might not like: Doesn’t function as well with wider nibs on copy paper.
· Shading: Quite nice.
· Ghosting: On copy paper
· Bleed through: Same as above, only with Broad /flex nibs.
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Excellent.
· Nib Dry-out: Quite good.
· Start-up: No.
· Saturation: Dark saturated grey
· Shading Potential: Look for yourself.
· Sheen: No
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: No.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
· Staining (pen): No.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Only with water
· Water resistance: Excellent.
· Availability: 50 ml bottles

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

Sailor Kenshin
October 4th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Ooo, interesting chroma, interesting ink comparisons too. This is a gray color I like. And Kitteh and Mousie have found a new friend, (Or IS he?)

Well, you know how I am about pigmented inks. But you make them seem so tempting! Would I dare buy a Kakuno just to try them?

Thanks once again, Yazeh, for your wonderful ink reviews and sketches. 💝

catbert
October 4th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Fantastic foxes (both ink and sketch)! :thumb:

mizgeorge
October 4th, 2023, 11:27 AM
I love it. I am also very enamoured of this series, and fox grey is right up there in my favourites - thank you for such a nice review, and for a dear little fox.

These reviews really are so nice to read - they feel like a real treat every time! :)

Yazeh
October 4th, 2023, 11:33 AM
Ooo, interesting chroma, interesting ink comparisons too. This is a gray color I like. And Kitteh and Mousie have found a new friend, (Or IS he?)

Well, you know how I am about pigmented inks. But you make them seem so tempting! Would I dare buy a Kakuno just to try them?

Thanks once again, Yazeh, for your wonderful ink reviews and sketches. 💝

🙏. I think you can use it in any of your Chinese pens or if you want to get a Kakuno. But I won't suggest using your "other pen" :D
Actually Kakuno or Kawecos are very good as they have a nice seal. Chinese pens are very drafty in general :(

Yazeh
October 4th, 2023, 11:34 AM
Fantastic foxes (both ink and sketch)! :thumb:

🙏 So much! I have to admit I was quite happy with the sketch too :D

Yazeh
October 4th, 2023, 11:36 AM
I love it. I am also very enamoured of this series, and fox grey is right up there in my favourites - thank you for such a nice review, and for a dear little fox.

These reviews really are so nice to read - they feel like a real treat every time! :)

So kind of you my dear friend. Yes, this ink is truly a treat to use. For now I've been wowed by this brand, truly exceptional :)

LizEF
October 4th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another review! The photo of this ink made me swoon. :D I've already added it to my list of inks to try, and confirmed I can find it at one of the shops I often use (Vanness). Love the sketches, as always. Mr. Mouse appears to be taunting or yelling at Mr. Cat. :)

Yazeh
October 4th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another review! The photo of this ink made me swoon. :D I've already added it to my list of inks to try, and confirmed I can find it at one of the shops I often use (Vanness). Love the sketches, as always. Mr. Mouse appears to be taunting or yelling at Mr. Cat. :)

It's fun when an ink still can makes us swoon! :)
Mr. Mouse can be quite flighty or gregarious and like to make new friends all the time ;)