PDA

View Full Version : Kakimori Tototo

Yazeh
October 11th, 2023, 04:42 AM
Kakimori Tototo

I used to love the Kakimori line with their appealing bottles and whimsical names. However, as writing inks I cannot recommend them anymore, mostly because their long dry time, ironically on Japanese paper.
However, as artist inks they are fabulous, they're easy to clean and waterproof.
Here is the bottle with the wooden cap, curtesy of Kakimroi website. (If you buy them directly from their website, they have standard and aluminum cap also)
https://kakimori.com/cdn/shop/products/03-tototo_a468f3d9-dd74-45d1-bd4e-98abc67c596e_1080x.jpg?v=1650855246
Here's how they describe their ink:
"Tototo is the gentle melody of a special rosé poured in quiet company. A colour to elevate everyday life or celebrate a special occasion." Our original inks are inspired by Japanese word play and imagery. Listen to the colourful conversations of dripping ink."

Let's start with the chroma:

Writing samples:
Look at the smudging:
Comparison:
Water test (Nothing budges)

And as usual an artwork, this was part of Inktober 2023 challenge: Map
Inks used are:
Octopus Write & Draw Fox Grey
Noodler's Bad Green Gator /Apache Sunset
Kakimori Tototo
J Herbin Bleu Nuit (Brush pen)/ Rouge Grenat
Diamine Sepia + Herbin Perle Noire
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dgb8n1m-7c8827ed-3960-49b3-b0f9-eb76c026c9e1.jpg/v1/fit/w_828,h_1042,q_70,strp/map2_by_yazeh1_dgb8n1m-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9. eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZD QxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgy MjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaW dodCI6Ijw9MTYxMCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU0 YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdiOG4xbS03Yz g4MjdlZC0zOTYwLTQ5YjMtYjBmOS1lYjc2YzAyNmM5ZTEuanBn Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcn ZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.fF74bjV2NSzf47SiB W7LH0c13NNN6lY82GeiN7CoY0U

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Lamy Safari (EF/F/M/B),
· What I liked: The colour.
· What I did not like: long dry times as unusual
· What some might not like: As of above, and lower than average lubrication, pigment ink
· Shading: Yes.
· Ghosting: On cheap copy paper
· Bleed through: The wetter your pen, the worst it become.
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Below average
· Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
· Start-up: Did not notice.
· Saturation: Did not notice.
· Shading Potential: It’s there.
· Sheen: No
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
· Staining (pen): No.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Easy
· Water resistance: Excellent
· Availability: 30 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

mizgeorge
October 11th, 2023, 05:36 AM
I don't have a huge number of these, but I still love them. I only really use them for drawing, and with dip pens, so haven't really run into any dry time problems.

Thank you as ever for such an excellent review - I'm loving mousey raising his little glass of rosé.

Yazeh
October 11th, 2023, 05:44 AM
I don't have a huge number of these, but I still love them. I only really use them for drawing, and with dip pens, so haven't really run into any dry time problems.
Yes, they are excellent for washes and drawing, and I believe that the long dry times will work in favour of the artist :)

Thank you as ever for such an excellent review - I'm loving mousey raising his little glass of rosé.
:redface: 🙏

LizEF
October 11th, 2023, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Yazeh, for a thorough review of an ink with frustrating dry times. :D I like the wood cap on that bottle, and I think I like the ink color. Lack of lubrication isn't so great, but that's what the larger nibs are for. Mostly, I like the kitties - poor, lonely swatch kitty; mildly amused friend of Party Mouse; and compass-kitty! :D Always fun seeing your reviews. Good quotes, too. That one about pain and suffering is a hard one to learn, but so true.

Yazeh
October 11th, 2023, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Yazeh, for a thorough review of an ink with frustrating dry times. :D

This ink defies the humid/ arid paradigm :)

I like the wood cap on that bottle, and I think I like the ink color. Lack of lubrication isn't so great, but that's what the larger nibs are for.
Yep. Japanese are great when it comes to these details. Though you need to get it all the way from Japan. It's not that bad, with a light touch, but I shudder with a wider nib, even with a blotter :D

Mostly, I like the kitties - poor, lonely swatch kitty; mildly amused friend of Party Mouse; and compass-kitty! :D Always fun seeing your reviews.

Thank you!

Good quotes, too. That one about pain and suffering is a hard one to learn, but so true.
Thanks. I try hard to find the right quotes. Not always easy. As for the suffering quote, it's easier said than done. Or maybe we should stay with suffering, becoming aware of it, embracing it, and then letting it go.... 🧘*♂️🙏 ;)