PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Ohio Pen Show - November 2,3,4 & 5, 2023

FredRydr
October 11th, 2023, 07:41 PM
Here: https://theohiopenshow.com

whichwatch
October 12th, 2023, 07:32 AM
I'll have a table there and hope any FPG'ers (Geekers?) who attend will stop by and say hello.

I will have about 70 Nakayas, a dozen King of Pens, other Japanese pens, MB's, Viscontis, etc as well as a couple of beautiful antique wood boxes made into pen chests by the incomparable Barbara Carpentier of Pen House USA.

Jon Szanto
October 12th, 2023, 10:36 AM
Have a great time, both of you!

TSherbs
October 12th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Seems to be a fairly large show. Nice!

pilgin
October 23rd, 2023, 05:59 PM
It’s a wonderful show and is especially significant for vintage collectors.

FredRydr
November 7th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Pens pens pens, & etc.

Brilliant Bill
November 7th, 2023, 07:30 PM
Observation, not criticism. Pictures of pen shows are almost universally interchangeable. Hotel ballroom, rows of tables full of pens and stationery stuff, and almost exclusively old, white guys (many with hands in pockets) standing, sitting, talking. Perhaps the value here is that you might see someone you know.

amk
November 8th, 2023, 01:14 AM
I must admit I'm glad to see in Europe anyway a lot more women, younger people, and different ethnicities getting into pens. But yes, Bill's criticism does ring true for some areas of the fandom.

Brilliant Bill
November 8th, 2023, 03:51 AM
Apology, please. I very specifically stated I was not offering a criticism. And I resent the blatant mischaracterization.

I must admit I'm glad to see in Europe anyway a lot more women, younger people, and different ethnicities getting into pens. But yes, Bill's criticism does ring true for some areas of the fandom.

FredRydr
November 8th, 2023, 04:07 AM
Take it as it comes.

manoeuver
November 8th, 2023, 07:10 AM
Observation, not criticism. Pictures of pen shows are almost universally interchangeable. Hotel ballroom, rows of tables full of pens and stationery stuff, and almost exclusively old, white guys (many with hands in pockets) standing, sitting, talking. Perhaps the value here is that you might see someone you know.

this is true. alas, there's not much else to photograph, besides the pens on tables or sometimes people sitting at tables NOT in the ballroom. I quit taking photos at shows long ago (besides a few selfies with friends.)

Fred, can't believe I missed you again.

FredRydr
November 8th, 2023, 07:45 AM
...Fred, can't believe I missed you again.
Rick and I were there Saturday from 9AM to 1PM.

penwash
November 8th, 2023, 07:46 AM
I for one love to see *any* pen show photos, on Instagram I saw an artist from and in India whom I follow (and he followed me as well) posting photos from a pen show in Pune. It gives me a great feeling that our hobby is not only spreading out in the world, but also to see others enjoying pens like we do here.

In my own home show in Dallas last September, there were plenty, and I mean *plenty* of younger people of many different ethnicities.

manoeuver
November 8th, 2023, 07:56 AM
...Fred, can't believe I missed you again.
Rick and I were there Saturday from 9AM to 1PM.
ah, Saturday I didn't get to the show til 3:30.

Ron Z
November 8th, 2023, 07:56 AM
To judge a pen show and the demographics of those attending by a picture is a mistake. A sliver of time out of a 3 day show (4 if you count Thursday's pre-show). Ohio does have an emphasis on vintage VS modern, but there is quite a mix of people.

manoeuver
November 8th, 2023, 08:29 AM
To judge a pen show and the demographics of those attending is a mistake. A sliver of time out of a 3 day show (4 if you count Thursday's pre-show). Ohio does have an emphasis on vintage VS modern, but there is quite a mix of people.
definitely. especially compared to 10 years ago.
2012-2014 or so I was one of the youngest people at these shows (not counting grandkids tagging along.)

It will be interesting to see what the Ohio show looks like in a few years.

Jon Szanto
November 8th, 2023, 10:32 AM
San Francisco International Pen Show, 2023. I don't take too many wide show shots, but this was as it was filling up in the morning. International representation in vendors; attenders crossed all ethnic, gender, and age groups. Big youth presence. If there was a problem with the show, it's become TOO popular, in large part due to the draw on a wide demographic.

Unfortunately, I didn't share this picture 3 months ago, or I could have garnered some of that sweet observation, too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231108/fcb53481c31886bb4d21e5d058308bc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

TSherbs
November 8th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Who is "tello"?

Jon Szanto
November 8th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Who is "tello"?

One of the newer pen turners, I believe. A friend of mine, who sells stationery and Italian pens at some shows, is friends with him. A fun side-bar is his young daughter, I think still under the age of 10?, turns pens too and brings them to the show. Very recent, don't know any more than that.

TSherbs
November 8th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Who is "tello"?

One of the newer pen turners, I believe. A friend of mine, who sells stationery and Italian pens at some shows, is friends with him. A fun side-bar is his young daughter, I think still under the age of 10?, turns pens too and brings them to the show. Very recent, don't know any more than that.

"moto's younger brother"

Jon Szanto
November 8th, 2023, 11:30 AM
Who is "tello"?

"moto's younger brother"

I dbl-checked: from my friend, who was selling at the Ohio show: "My friend, Jon Tello, had his 7-year-old daughter along. She made some pens for the show! Sold 14 of them and practiced rehearsing her talk with people." How sweet is that?

Brilliant Bill
November 9th, 2023, 01:16 AM
One of my favorite "pen show" images. I call it Blessing of the Pens.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Stationery/i-kBTMkgr/0/4a11a15c/L/DSCF0013-L.jpg

Belfast Brian
November 14th, 2023, 06:19 PM
There seems to me several very good reasons for attending a pen show, the atmosphere, friendly knowledgeable dealers, with and without their hands in pockets! LOL seeing pens you have only seen in books, getting yr hands on a pen you have always wanted to purchase, seeing pens way beyond your budget. Trying inks in every color under the sun, and enjoying the hobby in so many ways.

Brilliant Bill
November 15th, 2023, 09:00 AM
Nothing better than a pen show, Brian (except maybe a book fair!).

You meet the best people, like Susan, sadly no longer with us. You can make real friends. You learn more in a day than you could online in a year. And delightful socializing! In a world becoming a carnival of chaos, this is like going back to a small town in the fifties!! Life is always good at the pen show.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Stationery/i-2vrNcNj/0/64e162a2/M/DSCF0214-M.jpg

Belfast Brian
November 15th, 2023, 07:42 PM
Bill, I feel you know me so well, book shows and pen shows, double the fun!

lilycollins
December 6th, 2023, 09:14 PM
I attended the exhibition, the pens are really beautiful.

wordle (https://wordle2.io/)