PDA

View Full Version : Scanning advice/tips for ink and paper reviews?

fncll
September 21st, 2013, 07:17 PM
Any of you experienced reviewers care to share tips on scanning for ink and paper reviews? I have an Epson V300 flatbed scanner, which does a pretty high quality job, but I'm not sure about the best settings for making scans useful for this purpose...

KrazyIvan
September 22nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
In my reviews, my aim is to have a clear image. I used to scan at 300 dpi for size considerations but upped to 600 dpi recently. I am not too concerned about accurate color reproduction on my scans but I have yet to do an ink review. You are going to want to color calibrate your scanner and monitor. This varies by manufacturer and can get ridiculously expensive. Another reason I don't worry too much about it. Your audience will probably not have a calibrated monitor either, so even if you get it right, your audience may not experience your work the way you intend it. Their is one reviewer that I cannot remember the username but she posts on FPN a lot. She uses a gray scale bar in her reviews to help people adjust their monitors. It might be helpful to check with her.

Edit, Sandy1 is her username.

The Good Captain
September 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
Their is one reviewer that I cannot remember the username but she posts on FPN a lot. She uses a gray scale bar in her reviews to help people adjust their monitors. It might be helpful to check with her.

Each of her reviews has a link to a free calibration utility download which seems to be reasonably simple to use.

KrazyIvan
September 23rd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Their is one reviewer that I cannot remember the username but she posts on FPN a lot. She uses a gray scale bar in her reviews to help people adjust their monitors. It might be helpful to check with her.

Each of her reviews has a link to a free calibration utility download which seems to be reasonably simple to use.

Thank you. I never actually clicked her link because it said it was for Mac. I just did and it has Windows options that might work with my Linux system under WINE.

fncll
September 23rd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Searching for the username Sandy1 doesn't give any results. I've been paging through the ink reviews threads looking for something started by her and finding nothing. Can anyone point me to one of her reviews?

KrazyIvan
September 23rd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Searching for the username Sandy1 doesn't give any results. I've been paging through the ink reviews threads looking for something started by her and finding nothing. Can anyone point me to one of her reviews?

Here you go: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/162210-diamine-havasu-turquoise/