PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of ink?

Roefisher
September 22nd, 2013, 02:16 AM
Hello again,

Yesterday, for me, was mostly spent writing and drawing while trying out a new pen and starting out on the road to getting my handwriting skills restored. I used just over one third of the pen's tank and it got me thinking about ink life.

Not sure if this is run-of-the-mill but I would say I've purchased quite a few inks (twenty eight bottles) so it'll be a good while, maybe several years, before they're put through a pen to paper.

What I even thought about doing was inking up all four of my pens to get at it. But before I panic into doing anything rash I will take you up on the kind offer of help with any questions, and ask the good folk here first!

So, have I been foolish? Will the ink come to any harm or a lesser quality before it is needed? And a final question... Would it be advisable to carefully shake the ink bottle every time before filling?

Thank you,

Mark

Jon Szanto
September 22nd, 2013, 02:48 AM
I don't know that it is absolutely necessary for all inks, but a bit of shaking can't hurt them. As to longevity, two of the bottles I fill pens from date to the mid- to late 1950's, and the ink is perfectly fine (Sheaffer and Parker).

Write more. Worry less. Don't buy so much ink.

Roefisher
September 22nd, 2013, 02:58 AM
Thank you, Jon.

That is a relief. I intend to write everyday and always with a fountain pen.

Now off to read some more ink reviews...

:cheers:

Mark

Feardorcha
September 22nd, 2013, 02:59 AM
Don't buy so much ink.

How dare you? :D

ardgedee
September 22nd, 2013, 04:49 AM
Some inks get gummy or separate over time. Some inks fade over time but are otherwise OK. Many have particulate matter that settles out and should not be stirred back up. Some inks seem to be about as good new as they are a few decades later.

We have some 30-ish-year-old Pelikan 4001 blue-black that I tried a couple months ago; the ink is still fluid and works fine, but it's faded to a light gray (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2557-Pelikan-4001-Blue-Black-a-brief-writeup) and so it's not very usable in the EF-point pens that we prefer in this household.

There are a few threads here and on FPN about old ink; they're worth reading. Just keep in mind that since different inks have different formulations, what works for others might not work for what you have. Even different batches of the same company's ink change over time.

carlos.q
September 22nd, 2013, 08:13 AM
We have some 30-ish-year-old Pelikan 4001 blue-black that I tried a couple months ago; the ink is still fluid and works fine, but it's faded to a light gray (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2557-Pelikan-4001-Blue-Black-a-brief-writeup) and so it's not very usable...
Same thing happened to me with a bottle of Pelikan 4001 blue-black identified as "West Germany". However I have used 1980's Sheaffer Skrip blue-black with no problems.

fncll
September 22nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
As a Northerner I'll note this: inks getting frozen in their bottles SEVERELY effects their longevity :)

pencils+pens
September 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Store you ink out of direct sunlight. The UV rays will wreck havoc on your ink. I keep my ink in a drawer.

Roefisher
September 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Store you ink out of direct sunlight. The UV rays will wreck havoc on your ink. I keep my ink in a drawer.

That's a great idea. I had mine sitting out on the bookshelf but they're in the bottom of the wardrobe now.

Mark