PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Lace Burl Custom Fountain Pen

InvisibleMan
September 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
I finally took this pen off of the planning board and made it. It is a large sized Richland made from redwood lace burl and black resin. This is a retirement/going away gift for somebody at work. This isn't my favorite wood by far, but as redwood trees are part of what this area of the country is known for, I thought this would be a meaningful material for this pen. I look forward to getting back to my resin :)

The wood has some mineral staining on the barrel, which is either a positive or a negative depending on preference.

I wrote this up on my blog (http://www.pensbylyleross.com/blog.html) if you care to read a bit about how it is made. I'm also happy to answer any questions here. Comments/critiques also welcome as always.

14mm triple start cap threads
#6 JoWo nib

5567 5568

Robert
September 22nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
I really like it - - it has a certain quality of understated elegance.

Feardorcha
September 23rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Each time you post a pen I hear a little voice in my head telling me I have to buy it. One day I'll give in :)

Bogon07
September 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
This a nice combination of redwood lace burl and black resin. It will make a handsome and unique retirement present. The patterns in the wood are fascinating - you could spend many happy hours examining it while waiting for inspiration on something to write.

InvisibleMan
September 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks everybody!

Each time you post a pen I hear a little voice in my head telling me I have to buy it. One day I'll give in :)

I'm ready when you are:) I specialize in favorite colors:crazy_pilot: