PDA

View Full Version : Daimaru [vintage]

Tony Rex
September 22nd, 2013, 10:54 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/9889848165_4a39a71b79_c.jpg

More pics and better description here: http://kamakurapen.com/Jpens/Daimaru.html And I think AltecGreen has several of these?

Should I get someone to properly restore this or not? Suggestions?

Tony

Jeph
September 23rd, 2013, 12:03 AM
I think you can do it yourself. Pens like this are the ones that can really surprise you (in a good way) and muscle their way into your rotation.

AltecGreen
September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
If the pen is a lever filler then it is easier to restore and could be done fairly easily. If the pen is a Japanese eyedropper, I would send it out for restoration.

Tony Rex
September 23rd, 2013, 07:36 PM
This one is a lever filler. Okay, I'll just resac and probably leave the rest as is.

Thanks fellas.

jde
September 24th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Tony,
Thanks for posting some a vintage Japanese pen. Hadn't heard of the Daimaru before!

What makes this "below user" condition by your estimation? Corrosion of metal parts, chips, or more?

Great lookin' material, anyhow.
--Julie

Bogon07
September 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Nice looking celluloid, appears fine for writing short notes.

Is you pen rest fashioned from natural rock or molded from a clay ?
The mauve tone looks nice.

Tony Rex
September 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM
What makes this "below user" condition by your estimation? Corrosion of metal parts, chips, or more?

Julie,
Judging from the condition when I got it, I suspect the previous 'owner' had used it to open a can of paint:

Broken feed underneath the breather hole and up
Bent nib in half, wavy tines
Fully brassed clip and cap ring
Obviously, ossified sac..
Slight crack on the captop (stabilized)
Name engraved barrel
Weak "DAIMARU" imprint

I restored it only slightly as shown above. Since then I fixed the feed by making a new slope and added material on the other end to compensate, polished the barrel and cap to 'wet celluloid', and massaged the nib back into service. It is a rather usable pen for everyday carry now. I made an error there, should've been thirties, not fifties. Cheers.

Tony

Tony Rex
September 24th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Nice looking celluloid, appears fine for writing short notes.
Is you pen rest fashioned from natural rock or molded from a clay ?
The mauve tone looks nice.

Thanks bud.. My daughter (7yo) made it with clay and coloured it, not sure with what :)

Bogon07
September 24th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Very impressive. Wow, she did good.

It reminds me of chunks opal before they start cutting and polishing.

And you've done and admirable job on the pen too.

jde
September 25th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I wish these previous owners would use a fork or somethin' to open their paint cans!

Thanks for the detailed, uh, breakdown of your pen's condition. Appreciate it. Definitely below user condition! Your lovely photo belies the issues.