PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Write and Draw Brown Penguin

Yazeh
November 29th, 2023, 05:47 AM
Octopus Write and Draw Brown Penguin
This belongs to Write and Draw line of nano pigment inks. They are waterproof, light fast, and ISO certified.
The complete line up the 38 inks are here:
https://www.octopus-office.de/shop/en/creative-inks/write-draw-ink/?p=1

Octopus has a host of warning on their site, basically recommending their inks only in cheap, well-sealed pens.
https://www.octopus-office.de/info/en/write-draw-ink/

The naming of the inks is whimsical, the colour followed by an arbitrary animal, unless there are brown penguins and red Koala’s roaming about. :D

The ink is well behaved, wet, and well lubricated, yet I am underwhelmed by the colour.

I would recommend you getting a sample before investing in a whole bottle.

The reddish tinge is obvious in the chroma:
Writing samples:

It's alright on copy paper. But don't flex on it or use a wide/wet combo. Those brown smudges are not bleed through.

Photo:
Comparison:
Water test
And finally, an artwork. Note the ink had stayed for two week in the pen, so it became darker.
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dgi6484-82bea2a4-7173-4820-8fa7-6f73aebd42e7.jpg/v1/fit/w_828,h_1438,q_70,strp/penguin_by_yazeh1_dgi6484-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9. eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZD QxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgy MjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaW dodCI6Ijw9MjIyMiIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU0 YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdpNjQ4NC04Mm JlYTJhNC03MTczLTQ4MjAtOGZhNy02ZjczYWViZDQyZTcuanBn Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcn ZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.nPkoPpc_d9q3wpJ3_ NNnFalonr7YYiBveWI25jmAydA

Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Stub, Kaweco Sport (EF/F/M/B/Stub 1.9), Osmiorid Copperplate
What I liked: The colour, very fast dry times.
What I did not like: Not much. But I’m not in love.
What some might not like:
Shading: It seems there is :)
Ghosting: A tiny bit on copy paper.
Bleed through: A tiny bit when the needle tip of the copper plate pierces the paper.
Flow Rate: Good.
Lubrication: Slightly below average.
Nib Dry-out: Only once during nib exchange.
Start-up: No.
Saturation: No.
Shading Potential: No.
Sheen: Same as above.
Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Nope.
Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.
Staining (pen): No.
Clogging: No.
Cleaning: Easy
Water resistance: Excellent.
Availability: 50 ml bottle.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

mizgeorge
November 29th, 2023, 06:51 AM
Ooh! Another Octopus - thank you - I'm still creating my must-have list for this series so these fantastically thorough reviews are even more helpful than usual.

I quite liked the colour at first sight - it seemed to have a hint of the dustiness I like, and the chroma was interesting, but the darker version (which is inevitably what we end up with when we leave inks in pens) is far less appealing.

Thank you also for the fab images - I'm loving Kitty's monocle.

I wonder if the name was chosen with King Penguin chicks in mind? They are brown and very fluffy, I think.

LizEF
November 29th, 2023, 08:51 AM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another fun review. I believe I'll have to try this ink - I do like brown inks. :) And now I know that at least some baby penguins are brown and fuzzy (something mizgeorge seems to have already known):

https://cdn.britannica.com/06/152706-120-F39E743C/king-penguins.jpg

As always, love the fun artwork.. Mr. Mouse making a dramatic entrance while Mr. Penguin enjoys a pair of martinis, and Mr. Kitty tries to decide whether to knock the martini's out of Mr. Penguin's wing (or do they call them flippers?) or to bat Mr. Mouse out of the air... :D (Klaw says I have to stop typing now.)

Sailor Kenshin
November 29th, 2023, 09:23 AM
I like the color, too, but I would want a darker ink for artsysketchy subjects. The chroma intrigues me! And the comparison inks.

Umbrella Mousie and Cigar Kitteh are very cute, a d of course what is cuter than a penguin? Thanks again, Yazeh, for another Ink-Sploration.

Yazeh
November 29th, 2023, 09:40 AM
Ooh! Another Octopus - thank you - I'm still creating my must-have list for this series so these fantastically thorough reviews are even more helpful than usual.
Most welcome. I'm getting close to the last 3/4 samples I have. The next one is seasonal ;)

I quite liked the colour at first sight - it seemed to have a hint of the dustiness I like, and the chroma was interesting, but the darker version (which is inevitably what we end up with when we leave inks in pens) is far less appealing.
Yes, I totally agree :)

Thank you also for the fab images - I'm loving Kitty's monocle.
Glad you like it. I like his monocle too :)

I wonder if the name was chosen with King Penguin chicks in mind? They are brown and very fluffy, I think.
You're so right. Though I'm still looking for a baby violet giraffe :pound:

mizgeorge
November 29th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Though I'm still looking for a baby violet giraffe :pound:

Here you are:

https://adopt.giraffeconservation.org/shop/giraffe-adoptions/violet/

Yazeh
November 29th, 2023, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another fun review. I believe I'll have to try this ink - I do like brown inks. :) And now I know that at least some baby penguins are brown and fuzzy (something mizgeorge seems to have already known):
Murky Browns too? ;) You're most welcome!

As always, love the fun artwork.. Mr. Mouse making a dramatic entrance while Mr. Penguin enjoys a pair of martinis, and Mr. Kitty tries to decide whether to knock the martini's out of Mr. Penguin's wing (or do they call them flippers?) or to bat Mr. Mouse out of the air... :D (Klaw says I have to stop typing now.)

Glad you enjoyed my scribbling :) Klaws/ cats know when we're too much hooked on our machines, unless they can perch on our laps :D

Yazeh
November 29th, 2023, 11:38 AM
I like the color, too, but I would want a darker ink for artsysketchy subjects. The chroma intrigues me! And the comparison inks.

Umbrella Mousie and Cigar Kitteh are very cute, a d of course what is cuter than a penguin? Thanks again, Yazeh, for another Ink-Sploration.

Thanks Sailor! I personally use Polar Brown for sketching with an EF preppy nib. I'm glad my tiny artsy contributions are appreciated :)

LizEF
November 29th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Murky Browns too? ;)

How could I not love murky browns? :D Browns and greens that blur the lines between each other are my favorites.

Klaws/ cats know when we're too much hooked on our machines, unless they can perch on our laps :D

:) That's the truth!

Yazeh
November 29th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Though I'm still looking for a baby violet giraffe :pound:

Here you are:

https://adopt.giraffeconservation.org/shop/giraffe-adoptions/violet/

She is the one with the Mercedes, sauna, and room for a pony ;)