PDA

View Full Version : Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Lamy Green

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 07:08 AM
This is review #263 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/YnRmPf_KwiU

Post-recording notes: This is a boring green green, like the green crayon. Cleaning was easy with just plain water, but plan a few extra flushes, it's quite concentrated. This was a cartridge. The line width surprised me. It didn't seem that wide on the page and I can usually tell when an ink writes fatter. Perhaps my pen is writing wider anymore...

Zoomed in photo (Very close. A little too pale, possibly a little too blue.)
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81870&d=1702389984

Screenshot (The ink color is a little too unsaturated (not bright enough). It might also be a little too blue.)
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81871&d=1702389990

Scan of Completed Review (Text might be a little too light and yellow, but is very close to what I see.)
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81872&d=1702389996

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both are fairly accurate.)
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81873&d=1702390001

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 328µm. With 263 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.)
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81874&d=1702390006

Microscope image (400x. Smart phone camera. The whole slide was like this: spiky blues, boxy yellows, and lacy greens.)
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81875&d=1702390013

Previous Review: Private Reserve Infinity Turquoise (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/41189-EFNIR-Private-Reserve-Infinity-Turquoise).

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap (https://www.instagram.com/zilxodarap/).

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll. (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSchNWvcBM_EFW9Gzi6gcATuA2ZWvQXps_hzaU6aBP-DQ0pWGQ/viewform)

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FZFywY7XQn07uOzayBBPMXNBOO0FlaYz3IfalIYBpy0/edit?usp=sharing).

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here. (http://www.lizmcguireonline.com/fountain-pen-related/32-the-adventures-of-quin-and-makhabesh)

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

Sailor Kenshin
December 12th, 2023, 07:27 AM
What do I see?

A green I do not like—-a rarity!

A micro that could quite possibly be Quin's staff-orb in action!

And a story that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Thanks so much, Liz, for the nail-biting Tuesday treat.

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 08:08 AM
What do I see?

A green I do not like—-a rarity!

:) Yeah, this one isn't inspiring me to run out and buy a bottle.

A micro that could quite possibly be Quin's staff-orb in action!

:D

And a story that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

:D It's all the Viscount's fault! ;)

Thanks so much, Liz, for the nail-biting Tuesday treat.

:) You're most welcome!

Yazeh
December 12th, 2023, 11:24 AM
Another excellent review for a meh ink. :thumb:
I prefer the line width colour blue-green colour!
By the way, the microscopic image, disagrees with your none plant green assertion, use saying :pound:
I love how you keep in perpetual suspense with the storyline, great job :hail:
Looking forward to more excitement next Tuesday :)

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 12:11 PM
Another excellent review for a meh ink. :thumb:

:) Thank you!

I prefer the line width colour blue-green colour!

Isn't it funny how the different cameras and lighting totally change the color? It's a wonder if any ink ever looks like we expect from online images. (And yeah, that line width is out in left field compared to the others, isn't it?)

By the way, the microscopic image, disagrees with your none plant green assertion, use saying :pound:

Fortunately, it only looks plant-like - there was nothing growing on the slide! :D

I love how you keep in perpetual suspense with the storyline, great job :hail:

:) Thank you! (It does end eventually, I promise!)

Looking forward to more excitement next Tuesday :)

Thanks! :)

PS: I'm trying to figure out whether Quin's father died of the mold plague. Anyone want to vote? :D Or have thoughts on what their next adventure should be? I have a short one in mind (I think it's short), but nothing's solid yet - I'm right at the end of this adventure and transitioning to the next one.

Yazeh
December 12th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Isn't it funny how the different cameras and lighting totally change the color? It's a wonder if any ink ever looks like we expect from online images. (And yeah, that line width is out in left field compared to the others, isn't it?)

It is a wonder, indeed :)

Fortunately, it only looks plant-like - there was nothing growing on the slide! :D
:D

PS: I'm trying to figure out whether Quin's father died of the mold plague. Anyone want to vote? :D Or have thoughts on what their next adventure should be? I have a short one in mind (I think it's short), but nothing's solid yet - I'm right at the end of this adventure and transitioning to the next one.

Well it depends if it affects Quin is a positive/negative way... and does the father die symbolically like Anakin Skywalker and becomes Darth Vader or is a "final" death?
It also depends on Quin's relationship with his father...

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Well it depends if it affects Quin is a positive/negative way... and does the father die symbolically like Anakin Skywalker and becomes Darth Vader or is a "final" death?
It also depends on Quin's relationship with his father...

At the moment, death is death in this world. If people can come back from the dead, or if they have spirits that can talk to the living, no one has told me about it!

Quin's relationship with his father? Hmm. That does seem like a good question, doesn't it? :pound: Guess I'd better figure out what Quin's family life was like - and in a hurry!

Didn't Lermontov (or someone) write a book called Fathers and Sons? Oops, nope, it was Turgenev. Well, regardless, maybe it will have some tips... :D (I'm sure I've read it, but I have no memory what it was about. :pound: )

mizgeorge
December 12th, 2023, 03:46 PM
It's Tuesday! Thank you Liz as ever for keeping my week organised, and for another excellent review.

Horrid ink. Does absolutely nothing for me at all - as is unfortunately the case with so many Lamy inks.

But I don't know if I can take much more of the suspense. I'm so worried about the poor little snek...

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 04:39 PM
It's Tuesday! Thank you Liz as ever for keeping my week organised, and for another excellent review.

:) You're very welcome! And thank you!

Horrid ink. Does absolutely nothing for me at all - as is unfortunately the case with so many Lamy inks.

:pound:

But I don't know if I can take much more of the suspense. I'm so worried about the poor little snek...

:) Sorry. Blame the skeleton! He has terrible timing. ;)

Yazeh
December 12th, 2023, 07:45 PM
I remember Turgenev's novel. So many long descriptions which bored my younger self to death, but it was an apt study of old/ new generation ;)

Here are a couple of loglines to start you over:

When Quin discovers that Marsell has trapped his estranged father in an Infinity spell, he and his friends and a lone skeleton embark on a journey of self-discovery.... ;)
When Quin discovers that by killing Marsell he has also killed his own father, he decide to go back in time orb, even thought he might lose one of his companions..

Or Quin discovers that his father and Makhabesh's Mom are being held hostage by the Viscount -E, he joins Earl Grey and and Viscount's rebel headless son to liberate them....... :pound:

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 08:00 PM
I remember Turgenev's novel. So many long descriptions which bored my younger self to death, but it was an apt study of old/ new generation ;)

:) Even reading the plot summary on Wikipedia didn't bring back many memories - perhaps this is why - it bored me so much my mind purged it! :pound: It's also entirely possible I read it in Russian, and that wouldn't have stayed in my head nearly as well.

Here are a couple of loglines to start you over:

:angel: You're a true friend!

When Quin discovers that Marsell has trapped his estranged father in an Infinity spell, he and his friends and a lone skeleton embark on a journey of self-discovery.... ;)

Oh, that's exciting. My brain will have to work on this. I hadn't really considered what "mold plague" does to a person... I rather like the idea of a skeleton joining our team, but suspect it would be too much - too many characters, too short a format. But perhaps for a scene or two.

When Quin discovers that by killing Marsell he has also killed his own father, he decide to go back in time orb, even thought he might lose one of his companions..

Gaaah! Yikes. There's a nightmare. Not sure I wanna go there, but now it's in the back of my brain getting mixed into the stew, so who knows what will come out.

Or Quin discovers that his father and Makhabesh's Mom are being held hostage by the Viscount -E, he joins Earl Grey and and Viscount's rebel headless son to liberate them....... :pound:

:pound: Fabulous, but perhaps not by the Viscount, but by Marsell's henchmen... Hmm.

Thank you so much for some creative sparks! Truly appreciate your creativity and taking the time!

Bisquitlips
December 12th, 2023, 09:16 PM
Love to see this ink through an OBB or larger nib.

Great review Liz!

LizEF
December 12th, 2023, 09:31 PM
Love to see this ink through an OBB or larger nib.

:pound: Don't have anything near that large! But it could be one of those inks that's better from a fatter nib - that is a real thing!

Great review Liz!

Thanks! :)

Yazeh
December 13th, 2023, 07:40 AM
@LizEf, you're welcome :redface:
You have a wealth of subplots which can be transformed into plot.
Quin's backstory and his family, Makhabesh even poor Snek whose egg rolled away on a volcano vent, hence his lisp (the egg was shaken too much) :)

I sometimes use ChatGPt as a sounding board asking it to give me a logline while writing or feeding it a synopsis. It helps make the story focused. Another thing when you have a host of characters is to see, how you can have all three or four in the same paragraph each time, doing an action, relevant to their character.... It's a good exercise in seeing the whole picture :)

Sailor Kenshin
December 13th, 2023, 08:29 AM
@LizEf, you're welcome :redface:
You have a wealth of subplots which can be transformed into plot.
Quin's backstory and his family, Makhabesh even poor Snek whose egg rolled away on a volcano vent, hence his lisp (the egg was shaken too much) :)

I sometimes use ChatGPt as a sounding board asking it to give me a logline while writing or feeding it a synopsis. It helps make the story focused. Another thing when you have a host of characters is to see, how you can have all three or four in the same paragraph each time, doing an action, relevant to their character.... It's a good exercise in seeing the whole picture :)

Multitalented David Bowie used to scissor fragments of text from newspapers amd magazines, shake them up, then extract a few to use as prompts. I did the same thing… wonder where I put it…

LizEF
December 13th, 2023, 08:56 AM
... even poor Snek whose egg rolled away on a volcano vent, hence his lisp (the egg was shaken too much) :)

:pound:

:D Interesting. I have yet to think about interacting with ChatGPT.

Another thing when you have a host of characters is to see, how you can have all three or four in the same paragraph each time, doing an action, relevant to their character.... It's a good exercise in seeing the whole picture :)

Huh. I'll ponder that one too. Usually, I'm good once I figure out the basic plot - Quin's father was kidnapped and they have to find and rescue him, or he's trapped in / by a magical spell and they have to figure out how to break it without killing the man, etc. But perhaps I can make some time to ponder back stories and they may suggest plots going forward. Hopefully I already have enough to get through the end of the year, then another project will be done and I'll have more time.

Thanks!

LizEF
December 13th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Multitalented David Bowie used to scissor fragments of text from newspapers amd magazines, shake them up, then extract a few to use as prompts. I did the same thing… wonder where I put it…

Now, if only I had newspapers or magazines... :pound: