PDA

View Full Version : J Herbin Rouge Caroubier

Yazeh
December 20th, 2023, 03:42 PM
J Herbin Rouge Caroubier

I got this on a whim, knowing full well the colour is not the type I would appreciate. I couldn’t find anything redeeming about it, maybe you can 😛
It’s watery ink and lacks in the lubrication department especially if you use dryish pens and scratchy nibs. :(

I was surprised that the other reviewers mentioned quick dry times, in my experience it wasn’t the case.
I'm assuming that the colour is named after the Carob tree flower.

If I was to get a colour in this shade, I would go for Octopus Koala Red.

Let’s start with the boring chroma:

Writing samples:

I went for humorous Christmas quotes.

The colour doesn't seem right here ;)
Photo: (artificial light)

Comparison:
Water test

And finally, an "artwork", a quick sketch doodle in a lined notebook. Poor Kitty looks more like a cooked lobster :D
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dglndvs-6648123d-052a-4ced-bea0-268c89743fea.jpg/v1/fit/w_810,h_1800,q_70,strp/cat_and_bow_cat_by_yazeh1_dglndvs-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9. eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZD QxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgy MjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaW dodCI6Ijw9Mjg0NSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU0 YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdsbmR2cy02Nj Q4MTIzZC0wNTJhLTRjZWQtYmVhMC0yNjhjODk3NDNmZWEuanBn Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcn ZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.T57vlcGO-WNPNZq5ayC79uDaPSFcB9fCRFHMGEEfo78

· Pens used: Pilot F3A Ef, Lamy Safari(EF/F/M/B/Stub 1.1), Soennecken semiflex
· What I liked: Looking forward to emptying all my pens right away. :p
· What I did not like: Let’s say almost everything.
· What some might not like: Dryness.
· Shading: I didn’t see anything.
· Ghosting: Doesn’t like copy paper very much.
· Bleed through: Same as above
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Below average
· Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
· Start-up: Did not notice.
· Saturation: Watery coral red.
· Shading Potential: Dismal.
· Sheen: No.
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
· Staining (pen): Did not notice.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Easy
· Water resistance: Non-existent.
· Availability: cartridges, 10 ml, 30 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

LizEF
December 20th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for enduring an ink with zero appeal to you just for our education and amusement! :) I'm not sure I would hate the color so much, but dry and poorly lubricated don't sound fun.

You're right, the chroma is yawnville.

I'm going to memorize that George Burns quote so I can share it with all my friends. :pound: It's just too true. "Relatives are optional." is pretty good, too.

:( Sad at the absence of a swatch kitty. Poor swatch.

:rain: What a good fellow Mr. Mouse is, finding a bigger umbrella so his friend doesn't get wet.

"Is it a cat-lobster?"
"No!"
"Is it a sunburned cat?"
"No!"
"Is it an embarrassed cat?"
"No!"
"It's a Fire Kitty! Coming to a fire engine near you!" :D

Thanks again, Yazeh! Always a joy reading your reviews. :) Hope you recover soon! ;)

mizgeorge
December 20th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Haha! I wondered if you might get to this one in the Herbin trials (and this one really is a trial).

I completely share your opinion, though in its defence (if there is one), it's not too bad for drawing flowers with.

Thank you as always for a fab review of such a mediocre ink. I do hope you've got something better lined up for Kitty next time.

Yazeh
December 20th, 2023, 05:32 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for enduring an ink with zero appeal to you just for our education and amusement! :) I'm not sure I would hate the color so much, but dry and poorly lubricated don't sound fun.
I had my (over)dose of reds but ink being Christmas friendly, it seemed time sensitive ;)

You're right, the chroma is yawnville. :)

I'm going to memorize that George Burns quote so I can share it with all my friends. :pound: It's just too true. "Relatives are optional." is pretty good, too.

I loved that one too ;)

:( Sad at the absence of a swatch kitty. Poor swatch.
Sorry emptied the inks too fast and frankly I didn't want another lobster/fire kitty :D

:rain: What a good fellow Mr. Mouse is, finding a bigger umbrella so his friend doesn't get wet. :)

"Is it a cat-lobster?"
"No!"
"Is it a sunburned cat?"
"No!"
"Is it an embarrassed cat?"
"No!"
"It's a Fire Kitty! Coming to a fire engine near you!" :D
:pound:

Thanks again, Yazeh! Always a joy reading your reviews. :) Hope you recover soon! ;)
Me too ;)

Yazeh
December 20th, 2023, 05:35 PM
Haha! I wondered if you might get to this one in the Herbin trials (and this one really is a trial). :D

I completely share your opinion, though in its defence (if there is one), it's not too bad for drawing flowers with.
I might give it a chance for drawing flowers. I'm sure it'll be lovely for accents :)

Thank you as always for a fab review of such a mediocre ink. I do hope you've got something better lined up for Kitty next time.
Most welcome! The next ink, much nicer and way more well behaved ;)

Sailor Kenshin
December 21st, 2023, 09:06 AM
But at least Kitteh's in black tie for his Christmas tea.

I have this ink, and use it in a Preppy for editing. Can't recall if it seems to have a pinkish or orange cast, and I don't remember where my red Preppy is…😵*💫 But it has not seemed dry in the Preppy, or if it is, that's a plus, for use in marking up lousy printer paper.

Thanks, Yazeh. I love your Ink-splorations and sketches!

Yazeh
December 21st, 2023, 11:46 AM
But at least Kitteh's in black tie for his Christmas tea.

Red tie you mean ;)

I have this ink, and use it in a Preppy for editing. Can't recall if it seems to have a pinkish or orange cast, and I don't remember where my red Preppy is…😵*💫 But it has not seemed dry in the Preppy, or if it is, that's a plus, for use in marking up lousy printer paper.
Yeah copy paper is much user friendly wth dry inks. It wicks the inks away :)

Thanks, Yazeh. I love your Ink-splorations and sketches!

🙏