PDA

View Full Version : J Herbin - Bleu Pervenche

Yazeh
December 29th, 2023, 09:59 AM
J Herbin Bleu Pervenche
This is one of my oldest bottles of inks and a favorite. It’s a happy turquoise, wet, with below average lubrication.
It doesn’t like copy paper, like most Herbins. If you want a turquoise with better lubrication, Monteverde Caribbean Blue is good option.
I enjoyed it most with my wettish soft, Ef Japanese nib, and fine to broad nobs in Kaweco. With the TWSBI 580 Stub, it was unpleasant (So wet that I changed the nib to a medium), with the wet noodle flex nib it was not so pleasant flexing.

A note about the name. I'm a bit perplexed about the name. Pervenche, which is named after Vinca or Periwinkle is a lilac colour. The dictionary describes the colour, as:
Bleu clair tirant sur le mauve. Light Blue on the mauve side.
Let’s start with the chroma:
Writing samples:
Note the TWSBI is a very wet pen, so was the flex nib, hence the colour change. The colour is a true turquoise and there's no hint of green to the naked eye.
Like most Herbins it doesn't like copy Paper.
Photo:
Comparison:
Water test
and finally a few artworks, a snowflake:
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dglxffe-f7169dde-5ad8-4e3e-8cc2-b880701ff9c0.jpg/v1/fill/w_882,h_906,q_70,strp/snowflake_by_yazeh1_dglxffe-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9MTMxNSIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU 0YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdseGZmZS1mN zE2OWRkZS01YWQ4LTRlM2UtOGNjMi1iODgwNzAxZmY5YzAuanB nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlc nZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.znTwCbibPXD5FdRu qwz-aZYskPANJBetgjxQvjiE73U
and this little piece is entitled Elf, part of the inktober yearly challenge:
Inks used:
Brush pen: J Herbin Perle Noire + Bleu Nuit mix
Fountain pen:
De Atramentis Document Red
J Herbin Bleu Pervenche
Platinum Carbon Black
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dglxg5x-7e3a1434-3f72-4c26-a9ee-d04538bf1398.jpg/v1/fit/w_828,h_1028,q_70,strp/elf_by_yazeh1_dglxg5x-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9. eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZD QxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgy MjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaW dodCI6Ijw9MTU4OCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU0 YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdseGc1eC03ZT NhMTQzNC0zZjcyLTRjMjYtYTllZS1kMDQ1MzhiZjEzOTguanBn Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcn ZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.rTIyzW6VTztZ0dvZ4 rckhH2WljNI02gLgRDLKi51tlM
· Pens used: Pilot F3A Ef, Kaweco (EF/F/M/B), TWSBI 580 Stub 1.1, and Unic vintage flex (wet noodle)
· What I liked: Looking forward to emptying all my pens right away. Easy cleaning
· What I did not like: Let’s say almost everything.
· What some might not like: Dryness.
· Shading: I didn’t see anything.
· Ghosting: Doesn’t like copy paper very much.
· Bleed through: Same as above
· Flow Rate: Wet
· Lubrication: Below average
· Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
· Start-up: Did not notice.
· Saturation: Watery coral red.
· Shading Potential: Dismal.
· Sheen: Faint
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
· Staining (pen): Did not notice.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Easy
· Water resistance: Non-existent.
· Availability: cartridges, 10 ml, 30 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

LizEF
December 29th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Yazeh, for another great review! I think I like the dark instances of this color - the top of the chroma, the color you get from your flex nib - and especially the halo-ing from that nib - yum - love me some good halo-ing. :D

Otherwise, I think I have enough turquoise ink to last a lifetime (Waterman and Pelikan bottles).

Good quotes, especially the "...most of which never happened." :pound:

Alas, poor wet kitty - that slanting rain will get you every time, umbrella or no! (But he must be following Dalí's advice for how to keep that moustache in place! :D )

Pretty snowflake. Hooray, it's elf-kitty Smurf! ;) He's clearly looking at someone / something up ahead and to his right and carefully considering what to do next. Is he going to go a-wooing? Or maybe they just refreshed the buffet! :pound:

Yazeh
December 29th, 2023, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Yazeh, for another great review!
🙏

I think I like the dark instances of this color - the top of the chroma, the color you get from your flex nib - and especially the halo-ing from that nib - yum - love me some good halo-ing. :D[
Then it's best you use it in a gusher, and not for Efnir ;)

Otherwise, I think I have enough turquoise ink to last a lifetime (Waterman and Pelikan bottles).
Unless you do a lot of your gorgeous quilt work, like Jonah and the whale, hint, hint ;)

Good quotes, especially the "...most of which never happened." :pound:
Now if we could just apply it :(

Alas, poor wet kitty - that slanting rain will get you every time, umbrella or no! (But he must be following Dalí's advice for how to keep that moustache in place! :D )
:)

Pretty snowflake. Hooray, it's elf-kitty Smurf! ;) He's clearly looking at someone / something up ahead and to his right and carefully considering what to do next. Is he going to go a-wooing? Or maybe they just refreshed the buffet! :pound:
Or he just wants you to keep on guessing :pound:

LizEF
December 29th, 2023, 01:07 PM
Unless you do a lot of your gorgeous quilt work, like Jonah and the whale, hint, hint ;)

Hmm. Now there's an interesting idea. No idea how I would draw the outlines to fill in. I'd have to find something and trace them, I guess. The back of my mind shall ponder. :)

Sailor Kenshin
December 29th, 2023, 01:56 PM
These J Herbins are my oldest inks, too...unless you count Sheaffer cartridge inks used in my first fountain pen. Which of course was a Sheaffer school pen.

And naturally, I have this ink, as well as the MV Carob Bean Blue (If a Prevenche can look turquoise then Carob Beans can too!). It is safe to say I have lots of turquoise inks.

This one does go into rotation now and then and I think it shades better than the Monteverde.

There's a lot to like about this ink and of course your Ink-sploration:

Ink-stalgia. Half-wet Kitteh. Pretty snowflake, thoughtful Kitteh Elf.

Ooo, and a quote from Pascal, stolen by the Grateful Dead.

Many, many thanks, Yazeh, for continuing to amaze us. I wonder what's next!

mizgeorge
December 29th, 2023, 02:06 PM
Thank you from me too :) I like most of these inks - especially in the 10ml format which is just enough to enjoy for a few fills.

The turquoise is such a happy colour - perfect for the very grey weather we're having here at the moment, some proper brightness to the day - and I completely love the Kitty-elf, who manages to look distinctly punky - my first thought was "mohawk!"

What a treat!

Yazeh
December 29th, 2023, 02:42 PM
These J Herbins are my oldest inks, too...unless you count Sheaffer cartridge inks used in my first fountain pen. Which of course was a Sheaffer school pen.
:)

And naturally, I have this ink, as well as the MV Carob Bean Blue (If a Prevenche can look turquoise then Carob Beans can too!). It is safe to say I have lots of turquoise inks.
Apparently in French you can have Pervenche eyes. I don't have enough colour imagination to visualize it ;) For me this is closer to Forget-me-not blue, I've seen a few Perwinkles and none them where blue... ;)

This one does go into rotation now and then and I think it shades better than the Monteverde.

There's a lot to like about this ink and of course your Ink-sploration:

Ink-stalgia. Half-wet Kitteh. Pretty snowflake, thoughtful Kitteh Elf.

Ooo, and a quote from Pascal, stolen by the Grateful Dead.
Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoys the happiness of this ink.

Many, many thanks, Yazeh, for continuing to amaze us. I wonder what's next!

Stay tuned. The review is already scanned and ready :)

Yazeh
December 29th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Thank you from me too :) I like most of these inks - especially in the 10ml format which is just enough to enjoy for a few fills.
I love the 10 mi size bottles. Very clever move from Herbin ;)

The turquoise is such a happy colour - perfect for the very grey weather we're having here at the moment, some proper brightness to the day -
Yes, especially as happiness is rationed these days :)

and I completely love the Kitty-elf, who manages to look distinctly punky - my first thought was "mohawk!"

What a treat!
:redface: