PDA

View Full Version : How I got a Sheaffer converter to stay put on an old Skripset Cartridge pen.

rff000
January 4th, 2024, 08:31 PM
I have a Sheaffer cartridge pen with a conical nib and I was trying to use an old Sheaffer converter with it--not the mini or thin converter, but the regular one from many decades ago. It was frustrating that the converter fit OK onto the protrusion on the section and could fill up with ink, but after I closed the threaded section onto the barrel and then re-opened it, the converter would be off the section and a fraction of an inch below in the barrel. I came up with an idea that seems to be working so far. I dropped a ball point spring down into the barrel and now the barrel screws onto the section with some tension, pressing the converter upwards onto the section, and the converter now stays on if I unscrew the barrel. I checked for leaks and so far it looks OK. I wonder if this will continue working and if anyone else tried something along these lines.

Jon Szanto
January 4th, 2024, 09:13 PM
I've used those same springs as well in a few different models of pens. There are quite a few pens that only take the 'short' international cartridges but there is still a lot of space in the back of the barrel; if the section nipple isn't well made, the cart can dislodge. The above trick solves that. Additionally, the only converters for such pens are disasters, so refilling the carts is the way to go, with the knowledge that the cart, through time, will start to lose it's grip as the hole at the end starts to enlarge with use. The spring still keeps it in place.

bugsydog55
February 13th, 2024, 03:36 PM
I've used the same approach with a few no name pens over the years. Everything seemed to fit a little bit off and the barrel wasn't converter friendly. The only thing that made the restoration work was the spring in the back, keeping just a little bit of pressure on the cartridge. For my purposes, a small dot of silicon in the barrel secures the spring keeping it from falling out of the barrel. Depending on the size of the barrel, the spring can be clipped off so you don't have too much pressure. It's a great idea and could help in those touchy situations.