PDA

View Full Version : Bad actors on EBay

Doctox
January 6th, 2024, 01:13 PM
I have had my share of shady dealers, and here is one more.
I bought a P 51 cap on EBay, at a pretty significant price because I have a nice pen sans cap.
The clip fell off pretty much right away. Turns out there was no inner cap, so the bushing holding the clip screw (aka "jewel") was not actually attached. Instead it was just stuck into some gooey glop to hold it together for the photo.
I will not publish here the ID of the seller, but I am open to revealing this by PM if anyone wants to avoid a similar fraud. 82288

Jon Szanto
January 6th, 2024, 01:54 PM
I have to assume you'll raise the issue with eBay/PayPal/etc? Or just fix it yourself and move on?

Yeah, it's tough. No matter how many good people and transaction there are, there are also... these people. Sorry for the cap, hope you are able to resolve somehow.

Chrissy
January 6th, 2024, 02:46 PM
Here you merely need to open a case, presumably of "not as described", send it back using the sellers postal label and get a full refund. In the UK all funds are operated only by ebay now and it's really simple and straightforward.
I don't know what the seller said in the description but ebay buyer protection says you get what you paid for or your money back. Maybe the seller could potentially say he didn't know but that doesn't affect you.

Farmboy
January 6th, 2024, 06:53 PM
That is a sad looking clip screw.

Doctox
January 7th, 2024, 12:59 PM
I have to assume you'll raise the issue with eBay/PayPal/etc? Or just fix it yourself and move on?

Yeah, it's tough. No matter how many good people and transaction there are, there are also... these people. Sorry for the cap, hope you are able to resolve somehow.

I will certainly take action to get my money back. I have fixed P 51 caps myself, and have the tools, but the challenge is getting the part - specifically the inner cap. If it were just the jewel and bushing, no problem.

Doctox
January 7th, 2024, 01:02 PM
Yes, thank you. I will do that. I contacted the seller tout-de-suite, and will wait a couple more days, but don't expect much if I have not heard back by now.
What really goads me is that this is, believe it or not, the second time I have had a P 51 cap that had the clip and jewel just glued in. The last one was 3 years ago.

Doctox
January 7th, 2024, 01:07 PM
'Tis.
The clip was wobbly to start with, and when I tried to diagnose the problem, it just pulled loose with black tarry stuf all over the bushing, and that brown guck sticking up where the bushing should have been screwed into the inner cap. I poked at it from the bottom end and pushed out a good inch of that brown goop. just disgusting. I never got to actually put it onto the pen, but my guess is that it would not have fit anyway - the nib end would have buried into the guck.

Chrissy
January 9th, 2024, 10:12 AM
Yes, thank you. I will do that. I contacted the seller tout-de-suite, and will wait a couple more days, but don't expect much if I have not heard back by now.
What really goads me is that this is, believe it or not, the second time I have had a P 51 cap that had the clip and jewel just glued in. The last one was 3 years ago.
You don't need to contact the seller and wait. You just need to press to return the item then open a case with ebay for item not as described. They will do the rest: They will request his pre paid postal label or issue it themselves and charge him for it, and his time to act in respect of the return starts when they say it starts or they make the decision for him if he doesn't get it done. No arguments with the seller need to be entered into.

Doctox
January 18th, 2024, 01:56 PM
I did manage to find a very nice cap, for a bit less money even, from "thependragons", from the beautiful Isle of Wight in the English Channel. I finally have a fully functional pen.