PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Iroshizuku

ukpenman
September 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I'm considering buying my first bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku and wondered what fellow Geeks though of it? Here in the UK it retails for the price of a reasonable pen (£25) and twice the price of most other inks. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the high price? :)

jar
September 26th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I like the ones I've tried, particularly Kon Peki

Paul-H
September 26th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Is it worth it, Well it is made from the Urine of the rare Tibetan Yak that is three times cold filtered through the finest Golden Membrane filters and then bottled by the finest Virgins they could find. So probably yes :angel:

What its not, Its just dye and water then its probably not, if you are in the Uk stick with Diamine Inks :)

Paul

Roefisher
September 26th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I got six of them and have tried two so far, Iroshizuku take-sumi (Bamboo Charcoal) and Iroshizuku yama-budo (Crimson Glory Vine). Both appear to be good quality and are easy to use with no bother. The colours are rich and impressive.

Maybe not everyone's reason to buy but I think the bottles are fantastic, too. I'm very pleased and happy to have them.

All part of bringing a bit of fun and enjoyment to writing.

Mark

KrazyIvan
September 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I am up to three bottles of their inks and enjoy them.

Laura N
September 26th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I really like these inks, finding them consistently well-behaved and easy to clean out of my pens. The Iroshizuku colors I have kept are more unusual, and I haven't found substitutes. Because I am not heavy user of any one ink, a bottle lasts me years. So I find them "worth it" for me. Whether it's worth it for anyone else probably depends on budget, rate of ink usage and how much she or he likes a particular color.

Some people have an axe to grind against anything that's expensive. While others pump up anything expensive, thinking it must be better. I'd say the truth lies somewhere in between.

tiffanyhenschel
September 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
There are other inks that have colors just as beautiful, and there are other inks that perform just as well across multiple kinds of paper with various nibs, but Iroshizuku combines these properties into ink that is beautiful to look at and performs flawlessly. It is worth the cost for me.

AndyT
September 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Iroshizuku is no longer the most expensive ink on sale in the UK (congratulations, Caran d'Ache); all the same it comes in at seven times the price of Diamine and more than two and a half times that of Montblanc.

Now, I don't have "an axe to grind against anything that's expensive", but is it likely that I'd come out of a deal like that without feeling that I'd been mugged? Really? For that reason, and because I have far too many very nice inks already, I'll pass.

Laura N
September 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Iroshizuku is no longer the most expensive ink on sale in the UK (congratulations, Caran d'Ache); all the same it comes in at seven times the price of Diamine and more than two and a half times that of Montblanc.

Now, I don't have "an axe to grind against anything that's expensive", but is it likely that I'd come out of a deal like that without feeling that I'd been mugged? Really? For that reason, and because I have far too many very nice inks already, I'll pass.

I certainly wasn't speaking to you. :) Nor to anyone who chooses differently than I. That's nowhere in anything I wrote or intended. Apologies that it didn't come across.

Let me clarify what I meant. We all sensibly refrain from buying things that don't fit our budget. But I grow tired of people (not you) who dismiss any product categorically as unworthy, either because it's "too expensive" (thus only for snobs or the deluded) or "too cheap" (i.e., only for the undiscriminating). For reference, read nearly any thread on FPN about either Montblanc or the Lamy Safari. Perhaps a Yak urine joke brought that to mind.

However, I guess I don't understand how could one feel mugged by voluntarily choosing to purchase something that may be over-priced? One might feel foolish or wasteful, and believe me I have, though not with these inks. Perhaps this is just an instance of the gulf between British versus American English, where mugging is a crime of violence to deprive a victim of property.

MisterBoll
September 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
If I could only use one brand of ink - this would be it.

View from the Loft
September 26th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I have tried a few sameples of various of these inks, and all of these have been pleasant to use, nice colours, low maintenance - certainly nothing to put me off.

However, given the amount of ink that we go through in this family with five of using fountain pens, these inks just don't fit our ink budget.

Really, it comes down to "use what is the right ink for you".

dr.grace
September 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I've bought several from the series and love them. They behave well and have some degree of water-resistance. I especially like how inks from this series usually make up a nice color scheme when used together. And the bottles line up nicely on the shelf.

AndyT
September 26th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I certainly wasn't speaking to you. :) Nor to anyone who chooses differently than I. That's nowhere in anything I wrote or intended. Apologies that it didn't come across.

Oh heavens Laura, I only quoted you because you put it rather well! Absolutely no apologies needed. :)

Yes, there probably is a linguistic nuance at work, come to think of it - although the American usage is current in England there's also the expression to be "taken for a mug" or to be a "mug punter" which is more what I had in mind. Meaning essentially that one winds up feeling foolish, exactly as you say. I think we all come to our own decisions about how much we're prepared to pay, and a quick look in my drawer full of ink makes me feel like a spendthrift already.

Robert
September 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I now have seven (7) of the Iroshizuku inks, and they are uniformly of high quality and very well behaved. My favorite of the lot is Take-sumi (a/k/a Bamboo Charcoal), which is a lovely black with (to my old eyes) the very slightest hint of silver and, in certain light, dark brown. I am also partial to Yama-guri (a/k/a Chestnut), which is a very rich brown.

Goldfish
September 26th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I love Tsukiyo - no substitute for it. Just got a sample vial of Kujaku, might get it after trying Diamine Eau de Nil. I also have a bottle of Ajisai but the color is not my favorite....

jfsisler
September 26th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I bought my first bottle a couple of weeks ago - Murasaki Shikibu for my new purple dew Edison Beaumont. Sadly I couldn't wait long enough to get my Edison before I opened it, so I inked up my TWISBI 580, and I have to say I'm impressed. The TWISBI nib can be a bit scratchy at times, but with the Iroshizuku ink it seems to write better. It could just be me, but I think it lubricates this pen better, and the color is certainly nice and saturated. I'd say go for it. There's nothing wrong with a little splurge once in a while.

cwent2
September 26th, 2013, 07:08 PM
The price of the ink is one thing - but shipping on top of that I can't swallow. Did I mention I hate the cost of shipping. Shipping is like dishes, laundry and garbage, never ending! And an after thought taxes!

dr.grace
September 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM
The prices from Amazon are pretty good, and if you're an Amazon Prime member, shipping is not really an issue.

fncll
September 26th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I'm into the inexpensive side of things, generally, but based on the performance and hue of a couple of samples <shakes fist in the direction of Goulet Pens> I just sprang for two bottles. So, I'd say it's worth it...

The Good Captain
September 27th, 2013, 02:07 AM
I just have the one bottle - Kon Peki. I'ts very similar to Diamine Asa Blue or Mediterranean Blue. However, a friend brought it back from Japan so I only paid what he did - £10.00. THAT was worth it. I shall stick to Diamines.

jde
September 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I was among the skeptical about these inks until I got to sample several of them. Iroshizuku is great ink! It's the flow properties that make it special to me. However, if you can sample the ink first that's be a good way to try them out. Not ALL the inks have great properties. Or so I've found that to be true of Ina-ho, kinda dry and blah.

Favorites are: tsuki-yo, yama-guri, yu-yake, kon-peki... That said, I can't afford it, and stick to Pilot Blue-Black.

velo
September 28th, 2013, 11:34 PM
I have a bottle of Asa-gao and will be adding another colour soon. I really like the Iroshizuku blues and have sampled everyone of them. Yama-budo is eyecatching.

I've yet to start using my samples of Yama-guri and Tsukushi. I was most looking forward to Fuyu-syogun and Kiri-same but was disappointed with the samples. I think I just prefer more saturated inks.

I buy my bottles on ebay and for me the cost isn't prohibitive. I don't really look at the price relative to other inks, rather at their value to me and the enjoyment I have using them.

Robert
September 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Velo wrote: " I was most looking forward to Fuyu-syogun and Kiri-same but was disappointed with the samples. I think I just prefer more saturated inks."

Both of those inks show more nicely in broader nibs, particularly Kiri-same (which is my least favorite of the Iroshizuku inks I've tried thus far). Fuyu-syogun, on the other hand, I like very much, even in medium European nibs. Applied with a Platinum music nib fuyu-syogun is quite nice.

cedargirl
October 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
I only have two - yama-budo and ina-ho. They are great. They flow nicely and both are colours that I can't find anywhere else.

Buy from Amazon and look for the free shipping offers.

lenaldo
October 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
You can buy them from Santa Trading Japan on Amazon. Each cost a little more than US$20.00 and orders above 40.00 they offer free shipping.

I got the Yamabudo and the Shinkai and I am pretty happy. So happy that I placed another order.

cwent2
October 3rd, 2013, 06:10 PM
You can buy them from Santa Trading Japan on Amazon. Each cost a little more than US$20.00 and orders above 40.00 they offer free shipping.

I got the Yamabudo and the Shinkai and I am pretty happy. So happy that I placed another order.
Thanks for the enable - I got the Yamabudo it was 17.79 free shipping!

Sailor Kenshin
October 4th, 2013, 03:16 PM
The prices from Amazon are pretty good, and if you're an Amazon Prime member, shipping is not really an issue.

That was why I bought a bottle of Ku-Jaku. And the fact that I liked it from the Goulet sample.

dr.grace
October 4th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Me too. I just bought a bottle of Ku-jaku, and it's one of my current favorites.

klpeabody
October 5th, 2013, 04:10 PM
There are other inks that have colors just as beautiful, and there are other inks that perform just as well across multiple kinds of paper with various nibs, but Iroshizuku combines these properties into ink that is beautiful to look at and performs flawlessly. It is worth the cost for me.

I couldn't agree more, Tiffany. There are several Iroshizuku that I really enjoy for this very reason. For me, they are worth every penny.

velo
October 7th, 2013, 01:25 AM

Champion. Just bought two more bottles.

Goldfish
October 7th, 2013, 06:45 AM
After trying Diamine Eau de Nil, I decided to order a bottle of Ku-
Jaku from Amazon. It shades better even with my VP fine nib!

JazzDoc
October 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM
For me, Iroshizuku has some nice inks, and others are just..."feh". i like their yama-guri lots. And their shin-kai is a nice blue-black option, although i could (and have) listed other BB's which i find more attractive.

I think it's important to own at least one, though - to either feel the rapture or get it out of your system. Same goes for Pelikan Edelstein.

if I had to, I could live on a steady diet of just Diamines.

nomadhacker
October 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Santa Trading is a seller on Amazon. They sell imports of Iroshizuku ink for crazy cheap. I don't know about UK or if they show up on the uk store. But US shipping is free from Japan for this import version. Takes a little longer than Prime shipping :) But it's getting about half price for Iroshizuku, which is getting into normal range for inks.

Shin Kai as example (http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Iroshizuku-Fountain-Pen-Ink/dp/B009UOL3E4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381356979&sr=8-2&keywords=shin+kai)

JustDaveyB
October 11th, 2013, 12:25 AM
iroshizuku inks flow perfectly in all my Japanese nibs. I can't say the same about all the other brands.

I own the full set of standard inks (their have been four limited editions) and yes they are expensive. I have been lucky enough to source most straight from Japan at US$17 a bottle.

All the colours with a dip pen http://justdaveyb.com/2013/04/10/pilot-iroshizuku-inks-dip-penned/
The pretty bottles : http://justdaveyb.com/2013/09/03/iroshizuku-ink-bottles-are-pretty/

Newjelan
October 19th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I have 6 bottles and love them all with Shin-Kai my favourite (which surprised me). I'll won't buy anymore MB inks as they're nowhere near as good IMHO. The only other brand for me is Diamine.

JustDaveyB
October 20th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I have 6 bottles and love them all with Shin-Kai my favourite (which surprised me). I'll won't buy anymore MB inks as they're nowhere near as good IMHO. The only other brand for me is Diamine.

Rohrer & Klingner make some nice inks as well

kaisnowbird
October 21st, 2013, 03:32 PM
One day, one day I'll buy a bottle -- after I finish one of my current bottles first.
Currently, I'm dreaming of Ku-jaku. Such a lovely colour, and the name too.

snedwos
November 10th, 2013, 04:10 PM
iroshizuku inks flow perfectly in all my Japanese nibs. I can't say the same about all the other brands.

I own the full set of standard inks (their have been four limited editions) and yes they are expensive. I have been lucky enough to source most straight from Japan at US$17 a bottle.

All the colours with a dip pen http://justdaveyb.com/2013/04/10/pilot-iroshizuku-inks-dip-penned/
The pretty bottles : http://justdaveyb.com/2013/09/03/iroshizuku-ink-bottles-are-pretty/

Which were the limited editions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Goldfish
November 10th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Which were the limited editions?

I don't know the fourth one but there were three colors that were sold only in Tokyo; Edo-murasaki (purple) , Shimbashi-iro(turquoise) , and Fukagawa-nezu(gray).

Photos in a Japanese blog.
http://m.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/muminef551/60758017.html

snedwos
November 10th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I like that grey...

krazyklod
November 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Nope don't bother.

Wanna know why???

Diamine ink and Engelica.com, that's why. You can buy empty Iroshizuku bottles from them and only pay for the shipping then use cheaper inks in them. Diamine is excellent quality and many compare it to pilots. So why bother overpaying?

Adhizen
November 11th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I just bought a bottle of Iroshizuku Kon Peki while down in DC from Fahrney's pen store.It wasn't cheap yet, I feel... and this is my oppinion that when I invest is nicer pens and inks I'm supporting something a little more imortant that just buying to fill a functional need. I do have pens and ink that are for my day to day use... yet sometimes I want to elevate it to another level. So the pen has a beauty... and the ink in its bottle is nice to look at... and how the ink moves across the page... its color and saturation... all make the experience of writing or drawing kind of trancendence. That might sound kind of hokey yet there is something about setting up to write that is like setting a table for a fine meal... and then enjoying the process...

Jon Szanto
November 11th, 2013, 05:24 PM
You can buy empty Iroshizuku bottles from them and only pay for the shipping then use cheaper inks in them. Diamine is excellent quality and many compare it to pilots. So why bother overpaying?

And then you have fancy bottles with cheaper ink in them, which seems more than a tad silly. The Iroshizuku inks cost more, and they offer more: the bottles are elegant and well-made, and the inks are second to none in terms of performance and aesthetics. I realize that in various parts of the world, the amount by which these inks surpass a standard, mid-line ink can vary from a modest amount to an awful lot. Whether or not the amount you are willing to pay, above and beyond everyday, garden variety inks, is as much as a bottle of this ink will cost can only be answered by each individual. Nonetheless, they are top quality, and a pleasure to use, look at, and enjoy.

The amount of enjoyment each person chooses to afford themselves varies. These inks are a good indicator of that, and a perfect example of YMMV.

Roefisher
November 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM
It has been mentioned by others but I've also really been enjoying the Pilot Iroshizuku asa-gao (morning glory) blue.

This would be my idea of a proper, rich blue and I just love using it. Along with Pelikan Edelstein Topaz for more fun writing and Caran d'Ache Magnetic Blue as a darker option, they easily please me with all the blue shades I could ever wish for.

Mark

snedwos
November 24th, 2013, 11:31 PM
hmmmm, take sumi... I never thought I would like a black ink so much, but writing with it (in a fine nib, no less) is such a pleasurable experience!

But my favourite bit isn't conveyed by pictures: I really like the texture of the label on the bottle! It's what makes a classy product reaaaally classy

Crossinghouses
January 20th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Is it worth it, Well it is made from the Urine of the rare Tibetan Yak that is three times cold filtered through the finest Golden Membrane filters and then bottled by the finest Virgins they could find. So probably yes :angel:

What its not, Its just dye and water then its probably not, if you are in the Uk stick with Diamine Inks :)

Paul

I just had to quote this because it is absolutely beautiful.

Avalona
January 20th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I only own one Iroshizuku ink - Murasaki-shikibu. It's one of the only two that I feel are distinct enough to spend the extra amount on (I'm still going back and forth on Yama-budo). It's a shade of purple that I haven't seen similar of anywhere, and it does write very nicely. But the price... It might take me a while to get through the one bottle, but Noodler's, Diamine, and J. Herbin, however, are much more in my price range.

Cookies
January 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I like the properties of their inks, but will only purchase them if the color is really something special. I don't have a problem paying for quality, but I do have a problem with how much they increase the price for overseas customers. It's a much higher percentage than with other imported inks and I think the exporters are really taking advantage of consumers.
If you're in the U.S. you can buy from Japanese seller Santa Trading Japan on Amazon which sells for a much more reasonable price. $21 including shipping the last I checked.

earthdawn
January 20th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I like the properties of their inks, but will only purchase them if the color is really something special. I don't have a problem paying for quality, but I do have a problem with how much they increase the price for overseas customers. It's a much higher percentage than with other imported inks and I think the exporters are really taking advantage of consumers.
If you're in the U.S. you can buy from Japanese seller Santa Trading Japan on Amazon which sells for a much more reasonable price. $21 including shipping the last I checked.

I know what you mean ... I ordered the 2 I have from them and have a third in route. Kon-Peki ;)

Koyote
January 31st, 2014, 09:02 PM
There are a few ink brands that I just trust -- if there is a color I like, I can trust that the ink won't stain or clog or muck up my pen in some other way, and will not feather and bleed like crazy. Sheaffer, Waterman and Pilot inks are like that, and they are not too expensive. Iroshizuku is in this category, too, so I will buy it for a unique color like Tsuki-Yo.

PS: Yeah, I know this is an old thread.

DrChumley
January 31st, 2014, 10:54 PM
Well, I'm an ink hoarder, so I don't really count, but I've now got 9 bottles of Iro, and I still want to get one more color. But I've instituted a very strict one-in-one-out policy when it comes to ink, so I have to finish up a bottle before I buy any more. (I'm sitting at just under 90 bottles, so I could probably go until 2148 without buying any more... :)

My favorite is Kon Peki, but I'm a big fan of Ku-Jaku and Syo-Ro. I really want to try Shin-Kai next.

kaisnowbird
February 1st, 2014, 09:25 PM
Well, I'm an ink hoarder, so I don't really count, but I've now got 9 bottles of Iro, and I still want to get one more color. But I've instituted a very strict one-in-one-out policy when it comes to ink, so I have to finish up a bottle before I buy any more. (I'm sitting at just under 90 bottles, so I could probably go until 2148 without buying any more... :)

My favorite is Kon Peki, but I'm a big fan of Ku-Jaku and Syo-Ro. I really want to try Shin-Kai next.

With 90 bottles in your collection, assuming most get used, it would indeed take eons to see an empty bottle. Might I suggest you consider revising your policy to "finish up the volume of ink equivalent to a bottle before buying another one". It's much fairer that way.

Just enabling it forward. ;)

Bogon07
February 1st, 2014, 10:42 PM

I instituted that type of policy on my ink collect at around 30 bottles in total not just Iroshizuku and it was not entirely successful - now I have 60+.
The Iroshizukus mirrored that going from 3 to 5.

DrChumley
February 1st, 2014, 10:58 PM
Well, I'm probably going to start having giveaways of the bottles I don't love on my blog here in the next month or so...so I can get around my One-In-One-Out rule. :)

cwent2
February 1st, 2014, 11:03 PM
Well, I'm probably going to start having giveaways of the bottles I don't love on my blog here in the next month or so...so I can get around my One-In-One-Out rule. :)

That's right, rules are meant to be circumvented!

Just sayin'

Cw

Mags
February 2nd, 2014, 05:30 AM
Give the ink away or pay it forward to keep the hobby alive. Either way so many inks so little time right.

cafinn
February 4th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Ink hoarding - I could be guilty - I make a point of not counting them - I prefer the mystery. I have about 20 on my desk and three storage boxes on the shelf.

On the topic though, I just got a new bottle of Asa Gao yesterday and with a Platinum 3776 Black/Gold with a music nib. Such a broad nib needs a well behaved ink. I can not believe how little it bleeds through - even on the copy paper and my cheap (work supplied) diary.

This is my new standard ink - pushing aside Waterman Florida Blue.

Mags
February 4th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Cafinn that's a Pilot ink right? They are well done and not overly saturated.

Ed333
February 9th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Staples carries this ink, I ordered a bottle for delivery to my local store, no shipping charges.

Jon Szanto
February 9th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Staples carries this ink, I ordered a bottle for delivery to my local store, no shipping charges.

This is true, but they only carry about a 1/3 of the available colors, from what I can see on the Staples.com site.

Mags
February 9th, 2014, 05:36 AM
This is very useful information Jon and Ed333. I am checking this out for Staples Canada.

bigmac53
February 19th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Ive only used Kon-peki in the past and its a great ink, but I cant really justify the price, I have used others that perform just as well.

pico
February 21st, 2014, 06:28 PM
This thread makes me want to go out and get some samples of this ink. The praises of well behaved ink combined with these brilliant colors seems appealing. I've not experienced this combination with the samples I've tried so far.

I'm just starting to try different inks after 20+ years using only Quink black. I'd say I averaged 3 bottles a year. So, instead of $40/year I spend $80/year is of little difference compared to wireless phone and cable/internet money I spend each month. I'd only consider an ink unreasonably expensive if I don't actually use it.

earthdawn
February 21st, 2014, 11:28 PM

I know what you mean ... I ordered the 2 I have from them and have a third in route. Kon-Peki ;)

Winter weather made for a longer wait... The Kon-peki just arrived yesterday.

Ordered Jan 18th - arrived Feb. 20th

But at $21.99 shipped t's worth the wait.

Cookies
February 22nd, 2014, 12:39 AM

I just ordered a pen from them and was thinking about picking up a bottle of Momiji as well, but maybe I'll wait. Apparently our winter weather is long from over around these parts and I'm terribly impatient!

Potter
February 22nd, 2014, 06:35 AM
Based in UK I've brought three previous Pilot Iroshizuku inks from Amazon UK, coming from Japan with Santa Trading, (Yama Budo, Shin Ryoku and Murasaki-Shikibu), another one arrived this morning, Kon-Peki, or rather more correctly, the remains of the Kon-Peki, the package must have got bashed and the lid had snapped, all the ink was gone. Now I will see how the system works as to getting it replaced...:jaw:

Mags
February 22nd, 2014, 06:38 AM
No ink sold or shipped by Staples Canada and the asst manager was not at all nice saying you want fountain pen ink what for....nobody uses it anymore. Grrrrr.

Lady Onogaro
February 22nd, 2014, 10:36 AM
I bought my first bottle a couple of weeks ago - Murasaki Shikibu for my new purple dew Edison Beaumont. Sadly I couldn't wait long enough to get my Edison before I opened it, so I inked up my TWISBI 580, and I have to say I'm impressed. The TWISBI nib can be a bit scratchy at times, but with the Iroshizuku ink it seems to write better. It could just be me, but I think it lubricates this pen better, and the color is certainly nice and saturated. I'd say go for it. There's nothing wrong with a little splurge once in a while.

That's what I use in my TWSBI Mini. I have to say I bought the ink mostly for the association with Lady Murasaki, but I have found it to be quite a lovely ink, and I am willing to pay the price for the beautiful bottle. I used birthday money for it. The next color I want is the Yama-budo.

Lady Onogaro
February 22nd, 2014, 10:40 AM
Oh, Potter! That broken bottle is a sad sight to see. :cry: But the color is lovely.

Jon Szanto
February 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Based in UK I've brought three previous Pilot Iroshizuku inks from Amazon UK, coming from Japan with Santa Trading, (Yama Budo, Shin Ryoku and Murasaki-Shikibu), another one arrived this morning, Kon-Peki, or rather more correctly, the remains of the Kon-Peki, the package must have got bashed and the lid had snapped, all the ink was gone. Now I will see how the system works as to getting it replaced...

I hope this doesn't sound totally stupid, but... Assuming that you'll get a new bottle sent to you anyway, I would see no harm in cutting up the box and putting it in a small jar with some water. After it has soaked in it for a while, I'd squeeze out as much liquid from the cardboard and then (maybe) strain it into another container to hold back any solid residue. I might not put it in my best pens, but Kon-peki is a pretty vivid color, and I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't resurrect a fairly decent ink out of the absorbed ink in the box. Just a thought, and nothing lost if it doesn't work out.

earthdawn
February 22nd, 2014, 06:58 PM
No ink sold or shipped by Staples Canada and the asst manager was not at all nice saying you want fountain pen ink what for....nobody uses it anymore. Grrrrr.

What a DI*K !

You should try Santa Trading Co. on Amazon. Just order a bottle with the free shipping they offer and before you know it you will have it.

Lady Onogaro
March 3rd, 2014, 02:51 PM

I love the Murasaki Shikibu, too. It performs very well in my TWSBI Mini, too. I haven't tried my TWSBI with anything but that color yet. But I also like Private Reserve Purple Mojo, which is close to the same color. Have you tried the PR Purple Mojo?

Lady Onogaro
March 3rd, 2014, 02:55 PM
I just bought (and used) the Iroshizuku Ajisai in my new Platinum 3776 Century (thanks, Mike!) and wow, it is really beautiful. The shading is lovely. I think some folks have said the Ajisai is a bit watery looking, and the comparison chart on Goulet does make it look lighter than the Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire, but I think I have found a new favorite. It is a splurge, certainly, but I'm going to have a lot of ink for a while since the bottle is so big. What do others do with their bottles when they are empty?

Newjelan
March 4th, 2014, 12:43 AM
What do others do with their bottles when they are empty?

Empty? Empty? Do not understand what this is....

tiffanyhenschel
March 6th, 2014, 07:54 AM
What do others do with their bottles when they are empty?

Empty? Empty? Do not understand what this is....

Use the empty bottle to mix a custom color. :)

Tracy Lee
March 6th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I just bought (and used) the Iroshizuku Ajisai in my new Platinum 3776 Century (thanks, Mike!) and wow, it is really beautiful. The shading is lovely. I think some folks have said the Ajisai is a bit watery looking, and the comparison chart on Goulet does make it look lighter than the Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire, but I think I have found a new favorite. It is a splurge, certainly, but I'm going to have a lot of ink for a while since the bottle is so big. What do others do with their bottles when they are empty?

Use them to hold ink I like that is made by companies that use terrible horrible little bottles, like J. Herbin. My big Visconti nibs do not fit in those little square things, so moving it into thos well sized Iroshizuku bottles with the tip notch at the bottom is great!!

Cookies
March 7th, 2014, 07:56 PM

I just ordered a pen from them and was thinking about picking up a bottle of Momiji as well, but maybe I'll wait. Apparently our winter weather is long from over around these parts and I'm terribly impatient!

Got the pen yesterday. Only two weeks from Japan to east coast U.S. Pretty darn good.

Jon Szanto
March 7th, 2014, 09:12 PM
My favorite way to buy Iroshizuku inks*:

- save my print recyclables (ink cartridges, toner) and turn them in at Staples for Rewards Points.
- order a bottle of Iro online and have it sent to local store (no charge)
- pick up ink, have fun

I just cashed in $20 in points for simply taking back empty inkjet cartridges, ordered the ink online and used a discount. Got a bottle of Yama-guri for less than $10.

*I've noted somewhere in this thread or elsewhere that Staples only handles about a 1/3 of the colors, so this bonus way is only going to make you happy if there is a color you want. In this case it was, and they have some of the most commonly enjoyed colors.

Sailor Kenshin
March 8th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Use them to hold ink I like that is made by companies that use terrible horrible little bottles, like J. Herbin. My big Visconti nibs do not fit in those little square things, so moving it into thos well sized Iroshizuku bottles with the tip notch at the bottom is great!!

Lol, I'll take your orphaned JH bottles...

Tracy Lee
March 8th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Lol, I'll take your orphaned JH bottles...

I promise to remember that! :-)

jde
March 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM

- save my print recyclables (ink cartridges, toner) and turn them in at Staples for Rewards Points.
- pick up ink, have fun

Jon, that's how I order my HP 32# Premium laser printer paper! Love those recycled ink carts...and the rewards.

klpeabody
March 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM

- pick up ink, have fun

Jon, that's how I order my HP 32# Premium laser printer paper! Love those recycled ink carts...and the points.

Apparently, I need to get on board with the printer cartridge recycling....

Exactly how many points does Staples give you for recycling printer cartridges?
:)

jde
March 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM

They've updated the rules, so check with the Staples Rewards website for accuracy. It's $2 per cartridge w/a limit on 10 per month, among some other things. Worth it, IMHO.

klpeabody
March 10th, 2014, 06:20 PM

They've updated the rules, so check with the Staples Rewards website for accuracy. It's $2 per cartridge w/a limit on 10 per month, among some other things. Worth it, IMHO.

You know, I always poo-poo'd those Staples Rewards points...
my bad.

TerraNoir
March 13th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I do have a question for you all out there,

Does Iroshizuku Momji have a natural gold sheen to it or am I crazy? I could have very well not flushed my pen properly. If it really does my bank account is about to become a little lighter.

tandaina
March 13th, 2014, 01:00 PM
It is supposed to have sheen, yes. But the sample I got showed none so it may depend on the batch, paper, pen, etc.

Cookies
March 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I do have a question for you all out there,

Does Iroshizuku Momji have a natural gold sheen to it or am I crazy? I could have very well not flushed my pen properly. If it really does my bank account is about to become a little lighter.

Yep, it does. It's not as pronounced as Sargasso Sea or PR Electric Blue, but it's definitely there.

TerraNoir
March 13th, 2014, 09:10 PM
And I saw my dollars leaving my wallet. Its such a stunning color.

raging.dragon
March 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Expensive. Nice bottles. Intense colours. Generally well behaved, most are moderately wet with plenty of lubrication. They're good inks, but only you can decide if they're worth their price to you.

ArnieJB
March 20th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I love the Take-sumi Bamboo Charcoal in my Pilot VP

carlos63
March 21st, 2014, 05:57 PM
Iro rules and dogs drool...I have 3 bottles...two I ordered through Santa Trading Co. from Japan...I love them...gonna get smore :thumb:

SharpSpine
April 5th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I just went through this thread and I'm surprised that there are no pictures. I plan to correct that.

This week I received my first bottles of Iroshizuku inks. I'm completely impressed and while dropping this kind of cash on them was a tough decision I will say that it will be much easier next time now that I see just how much quality is here.

http://i.imgur.com/LoEi082.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SeCRFxr.jpg