PDA

View Full Version : Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo

Yazeh
January 26th, 2024, 08:55 AM
Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo
According to Vanness, The name of this ink is a play on Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indië (Avenue of New East Indies), a major street in the Hague.
It’s a handsome greyish blue-black. Slightly dry, with a mouthful of a name.
Unlike @LizEF's excellent review,
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/354878-efnir-akkerman-09-laan-van-nieuw-oost-indigo/
my writing experience was quite unpleasant. The ink was sluggish and dry. I would say it might need a wet pen with a nice smooth nib.
Chroma is quite complex. Note the turquoise on the top and purple in the bottom.
Writing Samples:

Photo:
Comparison:
Water test:

and finally a tiny art work going with the Dutch theme, entitle Say cheese ;)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/40ec5a00-e4c5-4dd3-a75c-65ad77daaf5a/dgojgo7-6b013778-04eb-4ec0-88bc-e3d9d322da00.jpg/v1/fill/w_1060,h_754,q_70,strp/say_cheese___by_yazeh1_dgojgo7-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9 .eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZ DQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTg yMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7Imhla WdodCI6Ijw9Mjg5NCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzQwZWM1YTAwLWU 0YzUtNGRkMy1hNzVjLTY1YWQ3N2RhYWY1YVwvZGdvamdvNy02Y jAxMzc3OC0wNGViLTRlYzAtODhiYy1lM2Q5ZDMyMmRhMDAuanB nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTQwNzAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlc nZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.IxXYJKll4IPIzf7v LdDRG7vQkAQSq7Zf9WrmxqagOyk

· Pens used: Kaweco, Pilot F3A EF, (EF/F/M/B, BB), Waterman W2
· What I liked: Color.
· What I did not like: The name. The flow.
· What some might not like: Dryness
· Shading: Massive.
· Ghosting: When the feed is primed on copy paper.
· Bleed through: When the feed is primed. on copy paper.
· Flow Rate: Scrooge
· Lubrication: Below average
· Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
· Start-up: From time to time.
· Saturation: Not saturated.
· Shading Potential: Massive.
· Sheen: Did not notice.
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not look for it.
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
· Staining (pen): Did not notice.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Easy
· Water resistance: Decent.
· Availability: 6o ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

Sailor Kenshin
January 26th, 2024, 09:03 AM
Gee, that is quite a chroma for an ink that looks gray in some shots. The water test is a hoot! That is some Kitteh Kostume. And the sketch, love them both.

I don't have any of your comparison inks. Normally I am all about blue blacks, but in spite of my craving for an Akkerman bottle, I've had it with dry unpleasant inks, so this one will have to stay out of my collection.

Thanks once again, Yazeh, for these wonderful Ink-Splorations!

mizgeorge
January 26th, 2024, 11:38 AM
Thank you Yazeh! Another brilliant review of an ink that has been frustrating me ever since I first got it, quite a few years ago.

I utterly love this colour - and the chroma is much more complex than so many others in the same range, which adds so much to it. I also love all the comparison inks, and many more, even the Diamine Indigo (which isn't an exact dupe IMO), but curiously, many of them are drier than other shades of blue.

Sadly, my experience is very much like yours. I find this one almost too dry to use in anything other than a very wet pen. I have a couple of old Dutch piston fillers that work pretty well with it, but I tend to use iron gall inks in these - often the Akkerman one in particular, as well as Salix. As a result, this tends to end up being a rather underused, if very beautiful, bottle of ink that is always nice for drawing with, I suppose.

Fantastic Netherlands-themed artwork for this one! I can't decide whether I prefer water-test kitty's hat, or mousie's cheesy new home, but that expression is fabulous.

What a treat.

Yazeh
January 26th, 2024, 12:05 PM
Gee, that is quite a chroma for an ink that looks gray in some shots. The water test is a hoot! That is some Kitteh Kostume. And the sketch, love them both.
Yes, the chroma is the best thing about this ink :) Glad you like the water test sketch :)

I don't have any of your comparison inks. Normally I am all about blue blacks, but in spite of my craving for an Akkerman bottle, I've had it with dry unpleasant inks, so this one will have to stay out of my collection.
You might like Salix ;) De Atramentis Blue Grey isn't bad, but it's your favorite pigment ink ;)

Thanks once again, Yazeh, for these wonderful Ink-Splorations!

A pleasure :)

Yazeh
January 26th, 2024, 12:09 PM
Thank you Yazeh! Another brilliant review of an ink that has been frustrating me ever since I first got it, quite a few years ago.
Most welcome :redface:

I utterly love this colour - and the chroma is much more complex than so many others in the same range, which adds so much to it. I also love all the comparison inks, and many more, even the Diamine Indigo (which isn't an exact dupe IMO), but curiously, many of them are drier than other shades of blue.
When I was reviewing this ink, I told myself, that's a mizgeorge colour. De Atramentis Document Blue Grey is a better option :)

Sadly, my experience is very much like yours. I find this one almost too dry to use in anything other than a very wet pen. I have a couple of old Dutch piston fillers that work pretty well with it, but I tend to use iron gall inks in these - often the Akkerman one in particular, as well as Salix. As a result, this tends to end up being a rather underused, if very beautiful, bottle of ink that is always nice for drawing with, I suppose.
I have to admit this range of colour is great for drawing but not so much for writing ;)

Fantastic Netherlands-themed artwork for this one! I can't decide whether I prefer water-test kitty's hat, or mousie's cheesy new home, but that expression is fabulous.

What a treat.
Thank you! Glad my Dutch theme worked out :)

LizEF
January 26th, 2024, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Yazeh, for enduring an unhappy experience with one of my top three inks! I guess I lucked out when I put it in my VP, where it lived for years as my "everyday carry", taking it to work, and refilling without bothering to flush. I wish I could explain the differences in our experience, but from what mizgeorge wrote, your experience is more normal than mine. :) I always did consider my VP to be a wet pen, so I guess that explains it. From my VP, it flows wet and dark, and shades beautifully - more like the sample from your BB nib. :noidea:

Meanwhile, the chroma is very nice, swatch kitty seems as puzzled as I am, and poor water-test kitty! That get-up! :pound: I recognized what it was supposed to be as soon as I saw it - well done! Mousey hiding his cheese in a clog, or is this his mini cheese bar? :D

Thank you for the fun review! Sorry for the disappointing performance. :(

Yazeh
January 26th, 2024, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Yazeh, for enduring an unhappy experience with one of my top three inks!
The fact that you found the right combination can give this ink some hope :)

I guess I lucked out when I put it in my VP, where it lived for years as my "everyday carry", taking it to work, and refilling without bothering to flush. I wish I could explain the differences in our experience, but from what mizgeorge wrote, your experience is more normal than mine. :) I always did consider my VP to be a wet pen, so I guess that explains it. From my VP, it flows wet and dark, and shades beautifully - more like the sample from your BB nib. :noidea:
I'm glad mizgoerge confirmed my experience. Ironically the ink guy finds it "wet". He uses Jinhaos :p

Meanwhile, the chroma is very nice, swatch kitty seems as puzzled as I am, and poor water-test kitty! That get-up! :pound: I recognized what it was supposed to be as soon as I saw it - well done! Mousey hiding his cheese in a clog, or is this his mini cheese bar? :D
Glad my little Dutch exploration worked out fine.

Thank you for the fun review! Sorry for the disappointing performance. :(
A pleasure. I'm not disappointed. The point of these reviews is to show the different aspects1 experiences of the same ink :)