PDA

View Full Version : Pre-war OMAS, lever fill, how good are they? Also Piston feeds, Touchy?

Pen Tom
January 27th, 2024, 03:00 PM
I have had a number of OMAS pens thru the years and currently have 2. All have been relatively modern. But I was looking at a 1926 Extra with a lever fill rather than the piston type.
I have had many Waterman pens from the 1920s, 1930s which, of course have thier own lever feeds with the rubber sacs. I an good at replacing the Waterman sacs.
I was wondering what the OMAS lever feed mechanisms are like. I am having trouble finding anything on the web.

Also, I am very apprehensive about buying an OMAS from the 1930s with a piston mechanism because I have read that they are finicky. Am I correct in this?

Any advice would be appreciated

fountainpenkid
January 28th, 2024, 07:50 PM
I believe the OMAS lever mechanisms are similar to the American pens in terms of re-saccing; I sent a little Extra lever pen to Danny Fudge (who is mainly known for American pen work) recently and he was able to re-sac it with no issue, as far as I am aware—the pen fills well.
The only piston pens OMAS made during the ‘30s were the Lucens, which had their patented stantuffo tuffante system (Dunn had already invented it but never mind that). I’ve watched Brad Torelli restore two of those mechanisms; the difficult thing is cutting the cork packing seal and dealing with the delicate layers of packing. You need a lathe and a fair deal of feel for fitting. Once restored, they fill well and flush decently well too (in between the ease of a Pelikan piston and the difficulty of a true sac pen) but the mechanism is sometimes a bit sticky and is really a pain on the smaller size pens. I have accepted the fussiness on my little Lucens because it is such a wonderful writer and it is nice to see all the ink in the barrel, but if you want to use the pen as a primary user I might seriously consider getting a lever or piston OMAS instead.

dneal
January 30th, 2024, 10:24 AM
I believe the OMAS lever mechanisms are similar to the American pens in terms of re-saccing

Correct. Put a new sac in the wife's a year or so ago, same procedure as any normal lever filler.

Pen Tom
January 30th, 2024, 01:28 PM
I believe the OMAS lever mechanisms are similar to the American pens in terms of re-saccing

Correct. Put a new sac in the wife's a year or so ago, same procedure as any normal lever filler.

Thanks to both of you for the responses. They are very helpful

The only difference is that the Waterman pens are hard rubber, very strong, while the 90 year OMAS is celluloid. Is there a problem trying to
wrench apart the section from the rest of the pen. I know that my Waterman pens can often put up quite the fight when I try to loosen the section, so
that I can get at the sac.

Also, who sells sacs for old OMAS pens? I did a quick search of the Pen Sac Company, my usual source and did not see OMAS listed.

piers John
January 30th, 2024, 10:21 PM
I have had a number of OMAS pens thru the years and currently have 2. All have been relatively modern. But I was looking at a 1926 Extra with a lever fill rather than the piston type.
I have had many Waterman pens from the 1920s, 1930s which, of course have thier own lever feeds with the rubber sacs. I an good at replacing the Waterman sacs.
I was wondering what the OMAS lever feed mechanisms are like. I am having trouble finding anything on the web.

Also, I am very apprehensive about buying an OMAS from the 1930s with a piston mechanism because I have read that they are finicky. Am I correct in this?

Any advice would be appreciated

Your experience with Waterman pens from the 1920s and 1930s definitely gives you a good background in dealing with lever fill feeds and rubber sacs. As for OMAS pens from the 1926 Extra with a lever fill, they're fascinating, and the lever feed mechanisms can be reliable. While information on them may be scarce, the community might have valuable insights. Regarding OMAS pens from the 1930s with piston mechanisms, some vintage pens can indeed be finicky, so caution is understandable. Seek advice from fellow enthusiasts for a more informed decision. Happy pen hunting!

dneal
January 31st, 2024, 08:48 AM

Thanks to both of you for the responses. They are very helpful

The only difference is that the Waterman pens are hard rubber, very strong, while the 90 year OMAS is celluloid. Is there a problem trying to
wrench apart the section from the rest of the pen. I know that my Waterman pens can often put up quite the fight when I try to loosen the section, so
that I can get at the sac.

Also, who sells sacs for old OMAS pens? I did a quick search of the Pen Sac Company, my usual source and did not see OMAS listed.

Standard rules apply. Incrementally heat and twist, and hope it doesn't crack. Mine came out easily, but there's always the ones that don't for one reason or another.

There's no Omas-specific sac. Get the size that fits the nipple, and trim to length.