PDA

View Full Version : Only Pencils in the Bibliothèque Nationale

robert.bradley.5
February 9th, 2024, 09:56 AM
Thanks to Samantha Rose Hill for this photo.

Lithium466
February 9th, 2024, 11:04 AM
But why? Am I missing something? Are French people going wild and writing on library books?

robert.bradley.5
February 9th, 2024, 01:02 PM
Or maybe smudging inky fingers on books while taking notes?

Jon Szanto
February 9th, 2024, 03:13 PM
I believe this is a somewhat common practice in archives and collections of rarity. The entire point is to not have a marker of any permanence, as people might make annotations out of habit or reflex, and not maliciously.

carlos.q
February 9th, 2024, 03:27 PM
So… are we to believe that the Omas Bibliothèque Nationale fountain pen is an urban myth? Or maybe a rebellious cry for freedom? :wink:

amk
February 10th, 2024, 03:00 AM
Almost all archive are pencil only. It's about spills, as well. Imagine tipping a bottle of BSB on a Shakespeare First Folio in a moment of clumsiness...

Motomachi10
February 10th, 2024, 11:22 PM
So… are we to believe that the Omas Bibliothèque Nationale fountain pen is an urban myth? Or maybe a rebellious cry for freedom? :wink:

I think the rule for pencils only is the antique and important documents and books section. It is to protect important books and documents and you need a special permit to have access to this part of the institution.

Bisquitlips
February 12th, 2024, 12:42 PM
I believe this is a somewhat common practice in archives and collections of rarity. The entire point is to not have a marker of any permanence, as people might make annotations out of habit or reflex, and not maliciously.

Yep!

Cyril
February 21st, 2024, 05:09 PM
I hacve being to this library and I can't remember this notice. Similar things is here in British library in London. But you can go with a note book and pencil and ball point pen. No smart telephone pen cameras and pens. As I can remember .