PDA

View Full Version : New from Richmond, VA

BRobbins
February 24th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Stumbled across this great site. Mostly a hobbyist pen maker, my claim to fame in the fountain pen world is I was friends with both Brian Gray and Brian Goulet before they met each other! Slowly making my way through the pod casts. What a wonderful way to make the impersonal world of the internet appear to be live in my home. Keep it up.

dannzeman
February 24th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hey, welcome! It's great to have you here. Friends with both the Brians before they met each other? Now that sounds like a story we just have to hear!

Tracy Lee
February 25th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hi BRobbins!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

KrazyIvan
February 25th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'd like to hear that story. :) Welcome!

BRobbins
February 26th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Okay - here's the story. Brian Gray and I were both members of a couple of pen maker forums, one rather large and one small and private. I felt lucky to get in the smaller one in the early days as some very talented and well known members were guiding us less experienced on techniques and equipment. Though small in size, we were and still are able to share information on lathes, CNCs, lost wax casting of metal, enameling, engraving and critique each others designs as they evolved without the fear of public disclosure. I got to watch Brian as he went from a part time hobby business to the full fledged Edison Pen Company he runs today. Each year I look forward to seeing him and Andrea at the DC pen show.

Brian Goulet also became a member of the larger forum (IAP - International Association of Penturners). I noticed he was from Richmond as well and after some chit chat on the forum, we met in person at the local wood turning club. At the time, this Brian was starting his pen making business, knew virtually nothing about the world of fountain pens and shows, but struck me as a very interesting and ambitious person. I'm not sure if I had much to do with their friendship, but I do distinctly remember telling this Brian that if he wanted to get in the pen making business, he need to go to a pen show and to look up Brian Gray as he would be a great role model for how to start a business. While his pen making has slowed, it has been replaced by a wonderful ink, paper and pen supply company. Though local, I don't see the Goulets as much as I used to as their business and family life has really taken off and Brian no longer has time for the wood turning club.

And that's the story. I wish them both well in their businesses. They continue to give a lot of time and energy to the pen world with creative ideas, products and modern marketing techniques.

KrazyIvan
February 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Very interesting story. While I don't know Brian G. He makes you feel like you do. He was very helpful when I was starting anew in fountain pens. His shop is my automatic goto shop for all my ink.