PDA

View Full Version : Board Game Love

VertOlive
March 17th, 2024, 08:41 AM
Recently our whole family has radically reduced our screen time and my son pulled out the Yahtzee game. A great time was had by all! Now we’re on a quest to add to our small collection of board/dice games which is comprised of old classics like Clue, Monopoly, Liars Dice, Scrabble, and an LOTR version of Risk.

I tried some of the “Top Ten” on Board Games Geeks and was pretty disappointed in the ones I tried. D&D doesn’t appeal, so looking for suggestions. Someone here mentioned Backgammon and Go.

Does anyone do this anymore?

dneal
March 17th, 2024, 09:09 AM
Yahtzee is always a favorite. We played a dice game called "5000" in the barracks many years ago.

The wife, boy and I play a card game called Mille Bournes.

FredRydr
March 17th, 2024, 09:20 AM
Parcheesi. We would wear out the board and buy another…decades ago. It goes by different spellings. Game makers have come up with different iterations of this old old game, but here is the classic American version:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Parcheesi-board.jpg/1280px-Parcheesi-board.jpg

dneal
March 17th, 2024, 09:36 AM
That reminds me. Wife and I play backgammon on occasion. Given our penchant for intentionally misnaming things (usually because we can't remember the actual name), backgammon is called parcheesi.

It's also pronounced with an over the top Nicholas Cage Italian accent. Occasionally there are gestures too.

Jaguarish
March 17th, 2024, 01:57 PM
Settlers of Catan is a popular world building game (so very long play time).

As a general recommendation it might be a good idea to go play some games at a place that has a bunch of them, so you don't end up buying games to find out whether you like them. In my local ara there are at least two such places (and child friendly too).

Sailor Kenshin
March 17th, 2024, 04:09 PM
If card games count, POKER.

VertOlive
March 17th, 2024, 07:55 PM
If card games count, POKER.

Of COURSE they do!

VertOlive
March 17th, 2024, 08:01 PM
Today’s research ended with a purchase of “Hive”, a pure strategy game, and backed a Kickstarter for “Thunder Road: Vendetta - Carnival of Chaos” because I live with a 17 yr old boy and a husband who’s a muscle car buff.

VertOlive
March 28th, 2024, 07:41 PM
First play through of Hive with a wily Bear of an opponent.83706

It took us a while trying to read all the rules and referring to our Bug Charts, but the Bear wins. My Queen Bee is surrounded and I lose!

This is a two person strategy game, kind of a cross between chess and checkers. There is something compellingly tactile about the Bakelite playing tiles, no board. Habit forming…

Zhivago
March 31st, 2024, 07:21 PM
Quiddler is a fun Scrabble-ish game with cards instead of a board and tiles. Set is a seemingly simple game but may still have you asking multiple times to have the rules explained to you again. It is good exercise for the brain.

Brilliant Bill
March 31st, 2024, 07:28 PM
Cribbage!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage

Skyderz
April 3rd, 2024, 03:15 AM
Embark on a thrilling journey through the expansive realms of Roblox with Explore and Conquer guides, designed for intrepid adventurers seeking excitement and challenges. Whether you're navigating treacherous terrains or uncovering hidden secrets, these guides provide invaluable tips and strategies to conquer every obstacle. From mastering complex puzzles to defeating formidable foes, elevate your gameplay and discover new horizons with expert guidance. Enhance your roblox script (https://robloxdatabase.com/), optimizing gameplay and unlocking new dimensions of creativity and excitement. Dive into immersive worlds, forge alliances, and leave your mark on the ever-expanding Roblox universe. With Explore and Conquer guides by your side, the thrill of exploration awaits, promising endless excitement and unforgettable adventures.

VertOlive
April 7th, 2024, 06:52 AM
Just received a copy of Wingspan and spent a Saturday afternoon learning the mechanics, then diving in for a couple hours’ play. Sort of a euro-style, bird sanctuary building game with the most lovely art.

Wellos
April 8th, 2024, 08:53 PM
Yes, once upon a time I enjoyed playing board games. But now I prefer to play fnf unblocked (https://fnfmod.online/friday-night-funkin/) and I advise you to try this amazingly fun music game that you can play absolutely free. On the site you will find a huge number of different mods for the game Friday Night Funkin and you will be able to have fun in your free time by participating in music battles.