PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 1930s BCHR Wahl pen with Waterman no. 2 flex nib

Saintpaulia
September 29th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Flexible nibbed pens seem to be the Flavor of the Month these days. Prices on the Bay are really high. But you can have a really decent, well-restored flex nib pen without spending over a $100. I have for sale this little lever-fill pen made by Wahl. It was outfitted (retro-fitted?) by a professional restorer with a flex Waterman nib.

Now before we go any further maybe we should define just what is meant by "a flex pen". I've found a helpful standard developed by Mauricio at his wonderful pen site, http://www.vintagepen.net/ In his section entitled "Grading Flex Pens" the meister sets up this schemata:
FIRM (Flexibility scale = Zero): Rigid nib with no springiness or flexibility at all. Also known as a “nail”.
SLIGHT FLEX (Flexibility scale ranging from 1 to 30) : The nib tines flex modestly with substantial pressure applied.
MEDIUM FLEX (Flexibility scale from 31 to 60): The nib tines flex significantly with substantial pressure applied. Also known as “semi-flex”.
SUPER FLEX (Flexibility scale from 61 to 80): The nib tines flex tremendously with moderate to substantial pressure applied.
WET NOODLE (Flexibility scale from 81 to 100): The nib tines flex tremendously even with very little to moderate pressure applied. This nib resembles a paint brush.

My Wahl-Waterman would be called a medium flex by Mauricio's system.

This is a neat little pen. It writes reminiscent of a Noodler flex pen only of course alot better since the nib is 14kt gold, not steel. That's where it parts company with a Noodler. But it does take about the same amount of pressure to get the flex to function. The flow keeps up better as well with less rail-roading.

Capped the pen is 110 mm. (like a Kaweco Sport). Posted it is 140 mm. A very comfortable writing size for smaller hands. When not in flex mode the nib is a fine and you have to be able to enjoy writing with a fine nibbed pen in normal writing. Pen is as shown in the photos, a lovely brown patina that developed from the original black hard rubber material. Oh and the ring etc is missing from the top of the cap.

I am looking to sell it for $55.00, postpaid. Any questions please feel free to contact me via Private Messaging here or via email. And thanks for looking.