PDA

View Full Version : Fake OMAS on eBay?

fountainpenkid
March 26th, 2024, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have a lead on this? These do not seem to be the new Pen Family Omas Paragons, based on the trim and shape and nibs etc. And yet they’re using portico nibs…very odd…
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225991094282?itmmeta=01HSYNXZQEMYVMC4KAXC5DH89D&hash=item349e1e700a:g:6zEAAOSwS0Rlwbm1&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4Jvo275IucFRkM%2FFQV1NxM9ruvd nLeOYt1P12g744JKyZ9QXkYTX8S0PBaWeftMMhRYiJ501gkAo7 MSapQANPXFMVLJKu7QfVDlvFTAL%2FTokL%2BSQ0dQ932hTXh% 2BauOEBBy46ewrybWCtwyTK5fprLMZpXXZp4Ae16TXG7nyU%2F 8ix4o8OiWMHlFML5n3Xgz8urOTmxz960U9GswOyaa6j6KF5W53 NeipmpOPbahDgRgPU7jKnatUE9A65UXyjnoSIXzVIJ4jBb37ym HiTBbi2otG%2FZE5BPKWLvWp2XAT%2FVY70%7Ctkp%3ABFBM5v v31c9j

Jon Szanto
March 26th, 2024, 08:44 PM
Will, I can't find the document or email where I saw something explained, but are you aware that there are currently TWO companies manufacturing pens under the OMAS name? "The Pen Family" somehow got rights to part of the product line, and then there was an Italian company, with some ties to the original? or to Delta? or something, who are also producing pens.

I'm sorry that this is all so sketchy in quality of data, but it was something that was sent to me in passing regarding another question. My main point is that some more investigation is warranted but not that they are fakes or copies, but it might be part of this "two competing OMAS" scenario. Truly odd.

If I can track down the source that I read, I'll repost here.

Jon Szanto
March 26th, 2024, 08:58 PM
Ah, ok, I may have found the place where I saw this discussed. Take a look at the following thread:

The OMAS brand has made some new pens (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/374516-the-omas-brand-has-made-some-new-pens/)

fountainpenkid
March 26th, 2024, 09:07 PM
Will, I can't find the document or email where I saw something explained, but are you aware that there are currently TWO companies manufacturing pens under the OMAS name? "The Pen Family" somehow got rights to part of the product line, and then there was an Italian company, with some ties to the original? or to Delta? or something, who are also producing pens.

I'm sorry that this is all so sketchy in quality of data, but it was something that was sent to me in passing regarding another question. My main point is that some more investigation is warranted but not that they are fakes or copies, but it might be part of this "two competing OMAS" scenario. Truly odd.

If I can track down the source that I read, I'll repost here.

I was aware that there were two companies but didn’t know the Delta(?)-associated one had actually started making pens. I can’t find any website for them (the pen company’s site is Omasofficial). I would be very interested in any information from the company…these listings are calling things arco etc but it is of course a new acrylic “replica” material (big quotes around that because it looks nothing like it!

Jon Szanto
March 26th, 2024, 10:01 PM
It’s probably a mea culpa on the Delta reference, I maybe was misremembering Ancora connection? Anyway, that thread was better than my memory, that’s certain!

Dougc
March 27th, 2024, 08:26 AM
Whether it is this 'Omas' or the other, I wonder just how successful they are in selling.

To my way of thinking, the only rightful heir to the throne is Scribo.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

ralfstc
April 3rd, 2024, 05:01 PM
I agree. Scribo. :agree:

724Seney
April 3rd, 2024, 06:38 PM
I agree. Scribo. :agree:

But sadly, they seem to be the least interested of the group of companies who claim to be the "real" Omas.
Maybe because they see the inevitable, ugly legal collision course the others are on?

MarcoA64
April 5th, 2024, 05:17 AM
For me the real and only OMAS pens to have go from 1920 to 1990, before the weird resin acrylics
The rest I'm not so sure of their quality.
The new Omas leverages on a name that is dead and buried. I'd steer away.

fountainpenkid
April 5th, 2024, 03:57 PM
For me the real and only OMAS pens to have go from 1920 to 1990, before the weird resin acrylics

Keyless Works
April 25th, 2024, 10:14 AM

What happened in 1990?