PDA

View Full Version : Faber-Castell e-Motion

KrazyIvan
October 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
The full review with all the images and the hand written portion of the review are posted to my blog. (http://inktronics.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/faber-castell-e-motion/)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3715/10039164726_b9a6ce8549_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/10039164726/)
Faber-Castell e-Motion #fountainpen review posted at inktronics.wordpress.com #inktronics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/10039164726/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

For some reason, this pen would catch my attention but I would forget it soon after. Don’t ask me why. In general, Faber-Castell designs don’t really interest me. The e-Motion, on the other hand, seemed really nice. When I had a chance to get one at almost half off the street price, I decided it was time to jump in.

The first thing that grabbed me about this pen is the shape. The cigar shape looks a bit fatter than most of my pens. I like chunky pens. I purchased the black pear wood version. The pear wood looks to be a kind of binde over a brass tube. This gives the pen significant weight. The cap alone accounts for nearly half of the total pen weight. This thing is heavy. Weighing in at 50 grams and the cap at about 22 grams, it is a hard hitting heavyweight. Understandable with an all metal chrome cap. Did I mention this pen is heavy? :P The cap has some FC branding engraved on it but it is tastefully done.

The clip is spring loaded and feels strong without being overly tight. The fit and finish of the whole pen is excellent. You can post the cap but the pen feels really unbalanced. If you leave the cap off, the pen is very comfortable despite being heavy. The balance is very good without the cap.

Nibbage. This pen has great nibbage. That is all that needs to be said really. It is a smooth medium steel nib in a #5 size. This is probably the smoothest “out of the box” experience I have had on a non-custom pen. The medium nib starts up and flows ink with no issues. The smoothness is just right. It does not skate on this Rhodia paper but it does not scratch either. One thing, it is a nail. I do wish it would have been a slightly larger nib purely for aesthetic reasons. I think a #6 nib would have looked better. I do realize it might not have been possible to do this because of the shape of the cap.

The cartridge converter in the larger international size. While some may not like converters, this one will do for me. It hold enough ink to keep the somewhat wet feed saturated with ink.

Shortly after I got this pen, I learned of an all matte black stealth version. It is on the higher end of my personal pen price spectrum (around $200 USD) but it is one I hope to have some day.

Thank you for reading!

Ivan

The Fountain Pen Sith Lord

Bogon07
October 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM
KI, Nice review on your blog. Those black glass bead things are a neat background for the pen. The toothed grip on the clip is a nice touch and possible helpful with such a weighty pen.
The dimples on the nib are quite stylish too. The nib appears to show some line variation when sprung'd at the end of your written review.
It looks like the ideal pen to go with your Sith Lord outfit.

KrazyIvan
October 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Thank you Bogon. I think the glass beads have a few more appearances to go. I bought several types and colors specifically for my pen photos. I did forget to mention that toothed clip. It is grippy. The nib does show some line variation but it requires way more pressure to get it to do that than what I am comfortable to do on a regular basis. I will not be doing it again.

cwent2
October 1st, 2013, 08:23 PM
KrazyIvan has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black Fountain Pen (Black Medium)
by Faber-Castell
Be the first to review this item
Price: $175.00
Only 3 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by Fahrney's Pens.
Pure black-on-black cigar-shaped resin barrel
Diamond engraving on the barrel for grip
Masculine black cap, grip and clip for a rugged style
PVD coated black steel medium nib
Cartridge or converter fill

Tony Rex
October 1st, 2013, 08:30 PM
Great review mate, as always. If I may add about the heft: This pen is so heavy and metallic it can be used for self defense in a dark alley.. and actually you'll risk manslaughter :) However, with weight and the nib combined it sort of dances on paper, surprisingly effortless for a heavyweight pen.

KrazyIvan
October 1st, 2013, 08:44 PM
KrazyIvan has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black Fountain Pen (Black Medium)
by Faber-Castell
Be the first to review this item
Price: $175.00
Only 3 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by Fahrney's Pens.
Pure black-on-black cigar-shaped resin barrel
Diamond engraving on the barrel for grip
Masculine black cap, grip and clip for a rugged style
PVD coated black steel medium nib
Cartridge or converter fill

Thanks Carl. PM box cleared. I'm going to have to wait on the black e-Motion, as much as I do want it. Maybe I could sell this one to help finance an all black version.

KrazyIvan
October 1st, 2013, 08:46 PM
Great review mate, as always. If I may add about the heft: This pen is so heavy and metallic it can be used for self defense in a dark alley.. and actually you'll risk manslaughter :) However, with weight and the nib combined it sort of dances on paper, surprisingly effortless for a heavyweight pen.

Thank you. It is really odd how heavy it is but they got the balance just right that it's not noticeable.

theolu
October 2nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Very nice review. I think it's spot-on. This was my latest acquisition and I am realling enjoying it as well. My E-Motion a black parquet with a fine nib. I was actually suprised by the amount of flex it had with very reasonable pressure. I wonder if the difference in nib size contributes to how easily it flexes. It really is a great nib - definitely the easiest writing I have.

The only negative comment I have is that the chromed section can be a touch slippery.