PDA

View Full Version : waterman ideal flow issues

ndw76
October 2nd, 2013, 05:40 AM
I got this pen in the mail today. It fills ok, but has no flow. I can fill it with water and expel water , but it won't write. Even if I hold the nib to tissue, no flow. I am thinking I will have to remove the nib and feed and give it a good clean. But I have no idea how to get the nib and feed out. Any advice?

Jeph
October 2nd, 2013, 06:40 AM
I already see the problem. The tines are seriously bent downward (about 45 degrees) at the end from where they are supposed to be. Imagine a line extending out from the top of the feed. That should be roughly where the ends of the tines ends up or just slightly below.

The nib and feed should be friction fit. Removal is pretty straightforward. Fixing the nib is not, however. :(

Ernst Bitterman
October 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Given the way it's bent, you may be able to get it back in shape without removal. If it comes to removal, this may help direct you (http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=775).

ndw76
October 2nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
I got the nib and feed out this morning after letting the nib soak in water overnight. The feed didn't look like it had any issues so now I'. Thinking the nib needs some work. The tines are flush with each other. I'm going to buy a brass shim today and try flossing the nib to try to get it into shape.

ndw76
October 3rd, 2013, 02:23 AM
After work today I gave the nib and feed a good clean with soapy water. I have straightened and flossed the nib, put it all back together and reset the feed to the nib. Now it works fine.

cwent2
October 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Photos, writing sample?

Jeph
October 3rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Super, I am glad that it worked out for you.

Ernst Bitterman
October 3rd, 2013, 04:25 PM
What Jeph said, with a slightly different accent. ;)

ndw76
October 5th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Here are some pictures of the pen in question and some writing.

ndw76
October 5th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Where are the photos?

ndw76
October 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Photos