PDA

View Full Version : Finally Purchased A Lamy 2000, & I Have A Big Problem

GTown_Dave
October 2nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
I think I want to buy another.

My other fountain pens all have EF or F nibs, as that best suits my somewhat small style of writing. However, when I finally decided to spring for a Lamy 2000 last week I went in the opposite direction & bought a B nibbed model. My reasons were several:

- I don't care for the look of hooded (or in the case, semi-hooded) nibs.

- I was concerned, as many people seem to be, about the little "ears" which hold the cap in place.

- I felt that, in the unfortunate event I really disliked writing w/ the pen, it would at least have a nib better suited to occasional larger, more decorative writing.

As it turns out, I love this pen. love, Love, LOVE this pen. I love how the texture of the material feels in my hand. I love that I'm able to write comfortably w/ the pen posted or unposted. (The ears are so unobtrusive that they don't bother me even if I place my finger & thumb directly on them.) I love how sturdy the pen is. I love how smooth the piston is to operate, & how easily the nib & grip section wipe down after filling or cleaning. I love how wet & smooth the nib is, esp. on quality paper. I want to carry this pen w/ me everywhere, & tuck it into the bed next to me at night. In fact, there's only one thing about this pen which I don't like:

The size of the line. And right now you're thinking I'm an idiot, because I ordered a B nib, & Lamy nibs run even Broader than that. But refer back to my reasoning, insomuch as I had any. I've decided I'm not going to part w/ this pen, as it will serve admirably when I want to lay down some expensive, colorful ink. Who knows, maybe I'll even have it turned into a nice, juicy stub. It's just that now I want another Lamy 2000, this time w/ an EF nib, for everyday use. So this is how they get you ...

Laura N
October 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
I have a fine and a broad myself. :)

GTown_Dave
October 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
Awesome! I'll feel less frivolous buying another now. :)

I'd like my 2nd 2000 to be more of an everyday pen, for journaling in particular. I'm thinking EF, though, considering how Broad the Broad is. Thoughts?

cwent2
October 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
You could take a look at the Goulet Pen Company's Nib Nook Page

http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

Laura N
October 3rd, 2013, 11:06 AM
I know three people, including myself, with Lamy 2000 fines. Mine is a (wonderful) bog standard fine. My son's is closer to a medium-fine. My penpal's is closer to extra-fine. So, with a caveat for small sample size, there's a certain amount of variation possible. :)

cwent2
October 3rd, 2013, 11:15 AM
I know three people, including myself, with Lamy 2000 fines. Mine is a (wonderful) bog standard fine. My son's is closer to a medium-fine. My penpal's is closer to extra-fine. So, with a caveat for small sample size, there's a certain amount of variation possible. :)

That's disappointing. I have this pen at the top of my to get list - I am comfortable in a fine medium fine range and I was all but certain a fine would do the trick. So, with that being said Laura N - do you believe a fine would work for me based on the information provided. I looked at the Nib Nook pages myself as I do not have access to a brick and mortar store.

I guess I am looking for a confidence boost after the variation you pointed out. Cause once written with .....

Thanks

KrazyIvan
October 3rd, 2013, 11:31 AM
One thing to consider. Lamy 2000's do have a bit of infamous nib variation. I would suggest either buying one from someone that will tune the nib to your specifications or be prepared send it out to be tuned. That is if you can't tune the nib yourself. I have a B nibbed version and it is skippy if not held at the correct angle. I can fix it myself but I want to send it out to get it ground to a stub or cursive italic. This way I can get another nibmiester perspective to study.

Laura N
October 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM

That's disappointing. I have this pen at the top of my to get list - I am comfortable in a fine medium fine range and I was all but certain a fine would do the trick. So, with that being said Laura N - do you believe a fine would work for me based on the information provided. I looked at the Nib Nook pages myself as I do not have access to a brick and mortar store.

I guess I am looking for a confidence boost after the variation you pointed out. Cause once written with .....

Thanks

I think a fine would work. Perhaps you could consider buying from someone like Todd at isellpens, whom you can email and ask to select a nib that is more of a standard fine. He's great to work with, and he's got a very low price on these right now. (No affiliation, of course.) Also, keep in mind that Lamy USA has excellent service, so if you aren't happy with the nib after you write with it, you can just send it in with a small fee and they will fix it or replace it very quickly. (Also no affiliation.)

I think it's a wonderful pen, with an excellent fine nib. I assume that the nibs are hand-finished, which accounts for the slight variation I've seen. Like the OP and me, your only problem may be liking it too much.

cwent2
October 3rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, I have seen the price at isellpens and am hoping my budget catches up before the price goes away - and I have held the pen. But have not written with one. I was in VA beach moving my daughter and popped in to the store "a pen lover's paradise" - checked out the Lamy 2000 weight wise - feel, grip etc and put the pen on the top of my I want it list and researched as best as I can the writing line and came to the conclusion that the fine would most likely work... then this thread... I will take your advise when I am able to purchase to email Todd first. Good Idea - thanks.

kaisnowbird
October 4th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Who knows, maybe I'll even have it turned into a nice, juicy stub. It's just that now I want another Lamy 2000, this time w/ an EF nib, for everyday use. So this is how they get you ...

I'd say go ahead and turn it into a stub if you prefer stubs.

My Lamy 2000 had an OM nib - I always wanted to have an oblique nib. As it turned out, the M was too broad for my taste and the lines were a bit boring. I sent it to Pendleton Brown and had it turned into a stub/CI (the famed Pendleton Point), also got rid of the obliqueness. It is now one of my absolute favourites.

If I ever buy a second one, I'll get an EF too.

GTown_Dave
October 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I have a B nibbed version and it is skippy if not held at the correct angle.

I've noticed the same thing. Writing w/ the nib oriented vertically seems to help, although it's a minor annoyance of which potential buyers should be aware.

I'd say go ahead and turn it into a stub if you prefer stubs.

My Lamy 2000 had an OM nib - I always wanted to have an oblique nib. As it turned out, the M was too broad for my taste and the lines were a bit boring. I sent it to Pendleton Brown and had it turned into a stub/CI (the famed Pendleton Point), also got rid of the obliqueness. It is now one of my absolute favourites.

Excellent idea. I've seen vids of people writing w/ the "Pendleton Point", & it's a beauty.

79spitfire
October 4th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I have a EF, but reading this thread is starting to give me a problem... My EF is easily one of the smoothest pens I own, also very expressive.

Now I want a B too...

amk
October 10th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Only a broad nib? When BB is available (and even BBB if you swap with a vintage 27 or 99)?

Anyway, this *is* how they get you. I now have five.

Pommel
October 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I had a B nib, and I had it exchanged for a F nib. My B was like a paint brush, and not suited for my everyday writing.

carlos.q
October 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I had a B nib, and I had it exchanged for a F nib. My B was like a paint brush, and not suited for my everyday writing.
I had the same experience with a B nib... :rant:

KrazyIvan
October 12th, 2013, 08:46 AM
I bought the B knowing it was big and knowing I wanted to have it ground to a CI or stub. More material, the better for a custom grind.

AtomicLeo
October 12th, 2013, 10:52 AM
This was the pen that really hooked me in to fountain pens. I did the same thing but with a M nib. Bought a EF nib 6 months later and love both of them

InkFan
November 16th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I've recently become a fountain pen and ink fan and the LAMY 2000 was the first gold nibbed pen I bought. I got it with a medium nib, and absolutely love the pen. The nib is smooth, and the ink always flows perfectly right away. I'm also a fan of the finish, and weirdly, the precise and positive click the cap makes when you cap the pen. It reminds me of the precise way a door closes on an Audi - not that I own one! The only downside for me was that the line was a bit too broad for everyday writing and note taking.

Before long I started wishing for a LAMY 2000 with a fine nib, which I figured would be perfect. Eventually I gave in and ordered one. I couldn't wait to try it out, but when I inked it up and started to write, I was disappointed. The line was finer, for sure, but the nib wasn't at all smooth like the medium. There was a catch at a certain point of the stroke that made it feel like the pen was digging into the paper. I began to wonder whether this was just the natural consequence of the nib being finer, but I compared it with my LAMY Safari Fine, and was convinced that the 2000 was off.

Checking out the tines up close with a loupe, they seemed to be perfectly aligned. I then proceeded to show my noob colours. I attempted to smooth the nib using some micromesh I purchased at a local hobby shop. Sorry if I just made you wince. You can probably guess what happened. I over polished the nib, and it developed a chiseled profile. Sure, the catch was gone, but the nib now squeaked and the ink flowed strangely, and only at certain angles. I like experimenting, but this was definitely a lesson learned!

I figured I was out of luck, but luckily for me LAMY was willing to replace the nib. Credit to them for being committed to customer satisfaction! I sent off the damaged nib and received a new fine nib. The new nib writes beautifully smoothly, like its medium cousin. I do have to say that the fine nib I was sent is not much finer than the medium - I really have to look hard to tell - but it turns out it's fine enough for me to take notes with.

Funnily enough, I still spend more time with the medium! I've got it inked up with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, which I really love, and between the colour of the ink and the way the LAMY 2000 M lays it down on the page, I have a truly enjoyable writing experience.

So I guess I can corroborate some of the stories I've read about inconsistency, but in the end, I'm still very happy with both my LAMY 2000s.

Adhizen
November 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
I totally love my Lamy 2000s and would buy another... and another... they are really fine pens for all occasions :)

Sham69
December 29th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Hahaa i have three! An ef, a
Med and a binderised broad into a stub! You cant have too many lamy 2ks

85AKbN
December 29th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I got an Al-Star fine and before it arrived, I had a (Makrolon) Lamy 2000 fine ordered too. Long story short, I now have a second Al-Star and second Makrolon 2000, both fine nibs, and they all exibit no worries writing, and no line variation.