PDA

View Full Version : Pilot VP - Broad nib, red, GT

Annie
October 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
Some weeks ago I splashed out on another of these from Vanness Pens. It arrived beautifully packaged and then, sat at UK customs whilst they held it hostage and came up with a very big number in order to deliver it to me. I don't know if the guys at UK customs wear bandanas and chew on the stubby ends of expensive cigars whilst saying, 'hey Gringo, you wanna buy a pen...?' through their bad gold teeth but it sort of felt like it.

Anyway, I crossed their (greasy?) palms with silver and it arrived.

Like I say, fabulous packaging that's going to withstand everything but being run over by a truck...

Yes, the box is pretty uninteresting...

This one is still a bit dull...

Oh, that's a bit better...

Now this is much more interesting. The fluffy bits are just from the box insert and all it needed was for me to unleash it and run a silk cloth over it to get rid of the packaging crud.

Some observations, before I get to the ink it and scribble point.

I know that size matters. :) With the nib retracted, it measure 140mm. As a comparison, a Parker 51 (capped) comes in at around 137mm.

As for weight, the VP is 30.8 grams and the P51 is around 21.5grams. The VP feels solid and really well balanced, even in my small paw.

Best of all, it writes beautifully, straight out of the box. No scratchy nib, no skipping, no nothing. You just fill it with ink (and that's so simple, even my 'special needs' cat could do it) and let it rip on whatever paper floats your boat.

Add to that, great service from Vanness Pens. This one won't be traded anytime soon.

jde
October 3rd, 2013, 04:20 PM
That's a gorgeous VP, Annie! And there's nothing like a VP nib...
Cheers, enjoy!
Julie

cwent2
October 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
Annie, thanks for making me drool:jaw:

kaisnowbird
October 22nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
The pen matches the colour of my front door.

:thumb: I love a red door.

jacksterp
October 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I remember when you were "coaxing" Vanness into shipping this pen to you.

Looks lovely and writes the same.

Enjoy!

earthdawn
October 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM
AWESOME pen Annie ....

I remember that sale... there was a wonderful stealthy looking one in the bunch I reallllly needed, I mean wanted.

Congrats on the beautiful pen. A nice broad nib too :clap2:

PS ~ $40 to ship ?!?! yikes :shocked:

Jack
November 3rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
That is the pen I want/need. Any advice on nib size? This is going to be a daily writer for me and I like medium nibs.

mbp
January 14th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Wow, that is a great looking pen. I have a matte black model. I got the F nib and feel that it is great for daily use (documents and paperwork). It is on the thin side but the ink never bleeds through and the cartridges are convenient. If you like M nibs you might want to opt for their widest nib.

That B nib looks like it works beautifully.

bitterwonder
February 15th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Had my VP for over a decade and love its broad nib, the smoothest I own maybe. Enjoy yours.

Robert
February 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I bought my first VP from Vanness Pens last summer - - a lovely yellow with white gold broad nib. It has been in regular rotation ever since. (Sorry you had problems with British Customs - - not a problem here, as I live one state removed from Arkansas: Home of Vanness).

Annie
February 17th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I bought my first VP from Vanness Pens last summer - - a lovely yellow with white gold broad nib. It has been in regular rotation ever since. (Sorry you had problems with British Customs - - not a problem here, as I live one state removed from Arkansas: Home of Vanness).

The only problem with UK Customs was that I had forgotten that they would want their pound of flesh and it delayed arrival by a few days. I love the pen though and it's great to take to work. Perhaps I really need another one...

mbp
February 17th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I have the same B nib. It's a pleasure to write with.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to best maintain a VP and make sure it continues working well?

Annie
February 17th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I have the same B nib. It's a pleasure to write with.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to best maintain a VP and make sure it continues working well?

Very similar care as for any non casein/BHR pen. Flush it out with tepid water, dry it carefully if it's not going to be used, otherwise fill it with ink and enjoy.