PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Hi!

Rich L
February 27th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hello folks from Denver,

I met a couple of real fp geeks at the LA show - Dan and Eric and we had some nice chats ... so I thought I'd join up. I'm an amateur metalworker and I'm been very slowly making pens for about 10 years and I think I've finally got some techniques down. I don't know acrylic from plaster!

I bought my first fountain pen in 1966 - a Parker 75. I bought it in Germany at a military base PX for $25 which was a veritable fortune for a kid. I loved writing with it and did so off and on for the next 35 years until I saw some of Andy Lambrou's Classic Pens; the CP5 Parker commemorative. I got infatuated with those particular pens, the metal, and the engraving and after a couple years I decided to make my own go at it and expanded my existing metal shop with a few additional capabilities. For reasons I can't explain I got sidetracked with Damascus steel and made a few pens out of that nasty but beautiful stuff. Subsequent to that silver took hold and there I be now. My passion is engine turning that stuff.

While all that was going on I filled out a collection of just about all the modern Parker Duofold Centennials that were made since 1987. There are only a few like the "DNA" set, Bumblebee, Asian maroon, and some other oddballs that are different just because the little tassie on the top is different than standard. Anyway, it's complete enough for me to say I don't need any more of them. So I started collecting a good set of Conway Stewart silver pens, a couple Montegrappa, Classic Pens CP6 and CP7 and I have a real nice Edison Pen that Brian made specially for me.

So there's a little bit.

This should be fun!

Cheers,
Rich

KrazyIvan
February 27th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hello Rich. It is really cool that you got to go to the LA pen show. I have yet to go to one. I really need to time a visit to my brother in North Carolina to coincide with the Raleigh pen show.

I would really like to see some of your pens, they sound very nice! The damascus steel version I think I have seen posted on FPN??

Rich L
February 27th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi Darth Ivan :)

I think I posted two or three of them over the past couple years on FPN. but the most recent stuff is silver with Damascus and you can see those on my web sites. Maybe I'll just send you one! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers,
Rich

writingrav
February 28th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Welcome Rich. Beautiful pens, but I don't see any information on price or ordering on the web site.

Rich L
February 28th, 2012, 08:35 AM
... but I don't see any information on price or ordering on the web site.

This is an ongoing discussion I have with my partner on the Metalwrite side. Email or phone call works but the message to do that is not very clear at all. On the Argent Blue side, the RR3 is priced on the website at retail but no one buys at retail so, again, phone call or email. Custom pens are not priced because that's something on the side between me and the buyer and pictures are posted just for reference and advertisement of capability. Similarly for prototypes. Conway Stewart stuff - website says call. Yes, it could be a lot better but having a "cart" is probably not something we'll have - we want closer interaction with the customer as these are very limited editions and not cheap. I appreciate the comment, though - it's valuable. I'll be trying to clean up the MW side.

Cheers,
Rich

KrazyIvan
February 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hi Darth Ivan :)

I think I posted two or three of them over the past couple years on FPN. but the most recent stuff is silver with Damascus and you can see those on my web sites. Maybe I'll just send you one! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers,
Rich

Now you know I won't havy any qualms with that. :D;)

dannzeman
March 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
Rich, it was great to meet you at the show! I'm so glad I got to see your work in person because it's amazing and pictures just don't do it justice.
We're honored to have you here and we really look forward to seeing anything new that comes from you.

Rich L
March 4th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Dan. I'll be sure to send you a sample as well. :)

dannzeman
March 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Now Rich, don't be teasing me. I can't handle it when people play with my emotions ;-)

Sent from my iPhone