PDA

View Full Version : Sad News: the passing of Tom Mullane

Jon Szanto
October 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM
As reported, unfortunately, by his daughter on FPN, Tom Mullane passed away suddenly yesterday (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253782-sad-news-for-everyone-thoughts-and-prayers-appreciated/). Known to many by his forum name OldGriz, he was a prominent voice on FPN and other forums, and had ushered in a lot of new people to the world of pens, through his repairs, sales, advice, and pen talk Highly opinionated and staunch in his views, his is another very untimely passing this year in the pen world. Not a good year, and many fine people leaving us. He'll be missed.

fountainpenkid
October 5th, 2013, 11:33 AM
This is so sad. Like others have said on Fountain Pen Network, he was a big contributor and great member of the fountain pen community. My prayers go out to his family.

KrazyIvan
October 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I am in shock. Prayers for his family.

79spitfire
October 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
:jaw: :shocked: :(

I'll miss his posts...

reprieve
October 5th, 2013, 12:29 PM
It is indeed a sad shock. I will miss OldGriz's kindness and camaraderie and humor.

Sailor Kenshin
October 5th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Yes. Old Griz was a great presence on the forum. Prayers for his friends and family.

earthdawn
October 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Wow that is very sad.

I read so many of his posts.

In my thoughts a prayers.

The thread on FPN is amazingly long with so many stories & memories fo him.

JuicyJones
October 6th, 2013, 12:43 AM
As reported, unfortunately, by his daughter on FPN, Tom Mullane passed away suddenly yesterday (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253782-sad-news-for-everyone-thoughts-and-prayers-appreciated/). Known to many by his forum name OldGriz, he was a prominent voice on FPN and other forums, and had ushered in a lot of new people to the world of pens, through his repairs, sales, advice, and pen talk Highly opinionated and staunch in his views, his is another very untimely passing this year in the pen world. Not a good year, and many fine people leaving us. He'll be missed.

OMG no he was so great. I bought a P51 from him years ago.

Penne Stilografiche
October 6th, 2013, 07:49 AM
This is very sad and unexpected news, may he rest in peace.

TMac
October 6th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Very sad news, Tom had many interesting and entertaining posts. I had always hoped that one day, I would buy a Parker 51 from him.

Frank
October 6th, 2013, 10:43 AM
So sad! Another big loss to the pen world this year!

My deepest condolences to his family.

:shocked:

cwent2
October 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
To his family and friends I can most truly say that I deeply, sincerely and affectionately sympathize with you in your bereavement and commend you to the loving care of our Heavenly Father Who looks down with infinite compassion on His children and folds in His arms of love and protection all those who put their trust in HIM.

The spirit of our Brother having been called to its Heavenly Home we leave him in the hands of our Heavenly Father who doeth all things well. Brother Thomas J. Mullane Jr, I bid thee an affectionate farewell in the faith of joining thee in that temple not made with hands, eternal in the Heavens.

Carl Wood
Master Mason

auto winder
October 7th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Very sad news and a big loss to the pen community. My condolences to his family and friends.

MKeith
October 13th, 2013, 12:58 PM
My deepest sympathy to the family. Tom was a very nice and helpful man who, from his writings here, loved his family very much.

OakIris
October 18th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Very sad news indeed; he had mentioned to me in an email a while ago that he might have to stop repairing pens because he was having some health issues, but I had no idea they were that serious.

I bought a beautiful Brown Pearl Parker vacumatic from Tom last year, always thought I would have a chance to buy and own more of his restored pens at some point, and, most importantly, that I would have many more opportunities to interact with him, read his posts, etc. :(

I will miss him.

Holly

Marsilius
October 20th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I am sorry to hear about his passing. I enjoyed his posts, and know he was very proud of his daughter and her music, too. That is a good legacy.

Sun Anvil
January 12th, 2014, 08:18 AM
WOW, did not know this. He repaired a few pens for me and helped me through a few repairs myself. It's been years since we communicated through FPN but I remember him nonetheless. As I remember, he like me, was a fan of Esterbrooks. Sad news indeed.

Pendragon
March 6th, 2014, 10:08 PM
That is incredibly sad news, and a terrible loss. Tom was the real deal. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

welch
June 13th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I'll say it again: one of the ppleasures of accumulating old pens and getting them repaired was the phone call Tom would make to chat about the work he'd done and sometimes the odd previous work someone had done that he had to undo...like my first Parker 51 Vac that I sent off to get a medium nib; it returned with a fine nib and the plunger shellaced into the sac. I can still hear his voice: "John...you won't beLIEVE what I found in there...no, not that...I won't make you guess..."

Curtisvan
October 9th, 2014, 10:18 PM
So shocked and sad. My prayers for his family.

Winstral35
October 14th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Would like to offer condolences and prayers to his family.

pajaro
May 1st, 2015, 02:18 PM
It has been a while since Old Griz passed on now, and I still remember his replies and many of the things he wrote.

Goes the light . . .

welch
November 27th, 2018, 11:23 AM
I am reminded of Tom's voice, and especially of his laugh. "Ha! You'll never guess what I found in that P-51..."

Elim
November 27th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I knew Tom well, I even taught him how to repair Parker vacs in DC one year. He was a character to say the least.

pajaro
December 6th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Taps for a good man who served.

Cyril
November 11th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Then he went back home after this mission. May his soul be free and be in peace.
There's nothing to get sad about and we are all on the same path. In his life journey, he served well with all fulfilling and we must be proud of him. So should be his family. Whatever he left with us is the living soul associated when he was physically present.