PDA

View Full Version : New Lamy - The Scala

John the Monkey
February 27th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Saw this on the Bureau Direct blog this morning;

http://bureaudirect.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/new-lamy-scala-pen/

(No affiliation).

Looks to be similar to the Linea, or cp1, in looks at least, albeit with a longer contrasting grip section. Handsome pen, but looks a little too slender for my taste - and no mechanical pencil? Tsk!

KrazyIvan
February 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I am not sure I like it. It reminds me too much of a Parker Vector.

klpeabody
February 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I don't know if I like it either. I hate to say it, but it's kinda boring. Sorry, LAMY.

Pinkys.Brain
February 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I am not impressed either. While I am a sucker for the matt finish, it is like a black Lamy Logo without a riffled metal grip section.

And with a price of 70€ it is simply too expensive compared to other Lamy fountain pens like the black Lamy cp1 and even more the black Lamy studio.

It just does not stand out.

writingrav
February 28th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Well, I kind of like it, though I'd prefer to handle before buying.

peterpen53
February 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
It reminds me of one of the Faber-Castell pens, but FC did it better.

dannzeman
March 2nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
This is interesting. I'll have to do some investigation.

Maja
March 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the Scala! Another model name to remember, LOL! Anyone else have problems remembering all those names that end with a vowel--Noto, Tipo, Pico, Logo, etc? :D

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how their new products always seem to appear on Lamy's website last. I mean, obviously, the Scala photo comes from Lamy (it's on Lamy Brazil's Facebook page)...so all Lamy has to do is put it on their own website....:rolleyes:

fountainpenkid
March 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM
make it a piston filler, and that might be an interesting pen!

Pinkys.Brain
March 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Give it some more curve, so that it does not look to be "inspired" that heavily by other pens of the Lamy family...

fountainpenkid
March 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM
+1 to pinky's idea

Give it a more curvaceous grip 9which no current lamys have.

Pinkys.Brain
March 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
+1 to pinky's idea

Give it a more curvaceous grip 9which no current lamys have.

This may sound strange, but the pen is somehow "conservative" - I never imagined I'd say this about Lamy. Maybe they should try for once to go a totally new road.

Lets take for example the concept art for the "Prism Pen (http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/07/23/prism-magnets-pens/)" by Denis Klimovich:

It doesn't have to be this radical, but please, Lamy: Bolder ideas, fresher designs!

p.s.: That does not mean that I don't like the Lamy products I own...

Pinkys.Brain
March 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Spotted the pen today in the window of a local stationary shop. 80€ for the fountain pen, 60€ for the ballpoint version - the shop normally goes as close to the MSRP as they can. I didn't go into the shop, but it looked as if the pen narrows a little bit towards the end of the pen (-> posting). It also has a larger girth than the Lamy Logo / cp1 pens.

Overall the (fountain) pen looks better than the Logo/cp1 pens. The ballpoint pen isn't exciting in any way. Nibs are the standard Lamy exchangeable ones. And it looked better behind the shop window than in the photo in the OP.

Freddy
March 6th, 2012, 04:54 PM
For some reason I don't feel any strong attraction to it and the price is too much, in my opinion.

Pinkys.Brain
March 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
For some reason I don't feel any strong attraction to it and the price is too much, in my opinion.

I had the same thought about the pricing. Having seen it, it is comparable to the Lamy Studio. While the Scala has the black finish of the barrel and the cap and the chromed parts, the Studio costs only half of the Scala. And the Studio has the more appealing design with its nice clip.

John the Monkey
March 7th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Lets take for example the concept art for the "Prism Pen (http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/07/23/prism-magnets-pens/)" by Denis Klimovich:

That's really interesting, although I can see the "hold at this angle, or else" problem rearing it's head with the FP because of the triangular shape.

peterpen53
March 7th, 2012, 05:44 AM
That's really interesting, although I can see the "hold at this angle, or else" problem rearing it's head with the FP because of the triangular shape.

I don't think that should be a problem. On the Omas 360 it works quite well, at least for me.

fountainpenkid
March 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
OMG!!! Someone please make this pen!!!!!

Lets take for example the concept art for the "Prism Pen" by Denis Klimovich:

Pinkys.Brain
March 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Some more info: The Scala is the result of the cooperation of Sieger Design and Scala (http://www.sieger-design.asia/en/news/2012-03/lamy-scala/)

dannzeman
March 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Some more info: The Scala is the result of the cooperation of Sieger Design and Scala (http://www.sieger-design.asia/en/news/2012-03/lamy-scala/)
Well done finding this info everyone! Now I need to update post on the website as soon as I have a chance.