PDA

View Full Version : EDC Fountain Pen Recommendation Needed

ArnieJB
October 7th, 2013, 04:26 AM
My next FP purchase is going to be one that I can comfortably carry in my pants pocket (I rarely wear shirts with pockets) on a daily basis without worrying about leaks. It would also be my work pen throughout the day. I am looking to spend no more than about $75.00 and am currently focusing on the TWSBI Mini and the Kaweco Al Sport. I really love the Mini, but am wondering if the piston fill mechanism on the end might be able to get inadvertently turned while in a pocket and push ink through the nib. Can anyone offer any feedback or suggestions? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Mod_wolves
October 7th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Can definitely recommend the kaweco as a carry around pen it fits perfectly in any pocket it even fits in my wallet crease. it's not bulky so you don't notice it. A lot of nib options as well and the introduction of the kaweconverter has made it a lot easier to use your bottled inks (if you need a larger ink capacity aswell you can convert it to an eye dropper).
I only have a twsbi 530 so it's not as helpful as a mini owner but I play around with the piston knob a lot sat in lectures. It's very secure when it is tightened so I can't imagine it easily coming undone but there is always the possibility. Again there are a lot of nib options but it is a bit pricier so if it's in your back pocket and you sit on it not only will you have ink all over your bum but it could also cost you a lot more (same with losing it).

heath
October 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Basically the same post going on over here: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/4254-Best-(tough)-Pocket-Pen

Laura N
October 7th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I really think carrying a fountain pen in your pocket is an accident waiting to happen, to your pants or to the pen, or both. How about putting it on one of those belt things people use for cellphones?

In addition to the Kaweco, small pens I like are the Pilot Prera or the Parker 51 Demi Aerometric. Only the Parker 51 requires bottled ink.

ArnieJB
October 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hi Laura, thanks for the suggestions. I don't carry anything on my belt. My phone, pocket knife, small flashlight, pen and wallet all ride in my pants pockets. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

jde
October 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I've carried piston filling pens (Pelikan 150, Sailor Realo, Pilot 92) in my jeans pocket (front and back) without incident. Can't speak to the TWSBI mini specifically, though. I do carry pens in my pockets regularly (a small Newton, a Pilot 92, or a Pilot MYU), and have not had any accidents over the years. If anything might happen, it won't be to the piston turning: it will be the cap turning, getting loose, and potentially come off. That would cause an accident.

Sounds like you're carrying a lot of other stuff in your pockets too. So you want something that can stand up to all of that. You can't be bothered if you scratch it up!

I like the Pilot Prera recommendation, and will throw in the Platinum Cool because of tight cap seal.

Good luck!

Tracy Lee
October 7th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Online makes some small fountain pens that are quite durable and come in a variety of colors and shapes. I have a small purple one I sometimes throw in my purse when I don't have my daily carry with me. Doesn't seem to leak no matter if it bounces around a lot.

ArnieJB
October 7th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I actually have a well thought out system to my pocket carry that eliminates items clashing together in pocket. Right front pocket has smartphone (Droid Razr Maxx) inside with current FP Lamy Safari clipped to the pocket crease. Left front pocket has CRK Small Sebenza knife in a small leather pocket sheath plus a small flashlight (Titanium Preon P1 or Streamlight Microstream) clipped to the crease of that pocket. Left back pocket carries my Big Skinny Compact Sports Wallet. This feels like an EDC pocket dump post that is very typical on EDCForums. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ac12
December 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Arnie
If you have not made up your mind yet, take a look at the Ohto Rook and Tasche.
http://www.jetpens.com/Ohto-Rook-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Silver-Black-Body/pd/6734
http://www.jetpens.com/Ohto-Tasche-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Black-Body/pd/633
They come in other colors besides black/silver.

I carry the Tasche whenever I wear a shirt w/o a pocket. It fits perfectly next to my wallet. The diameter is a little on the small size for some people, but remember that a pocket pen is a compromised pen. The Rook is a tiny bit larger than the Tasche. The Tasche uses the short international cartridge, and cannot fit an ink converter. I refill the cartridge using an ink syringe, so I can still use whatever ink I want to.

In your case, I would put the pen in one of the FRONT pockets, not in a back pocket that you would sit on.