PDA

View Full Version : My First Fountain Pens!

TonicLime
February 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM
So here are my first fountain pens, all purchased within just a few months.
- Noodler's King Philip Purple Std Flex
- Noodler's Black Ahab Piston Flex Nib
- Noodler's Flex Nib Piston Fill Resin Fountain Pen - Jade

The inks used were Noodler's Army Green and Black Swan in Australian Roses!

Noodlers are great fountain pens for beginners (that's the advise I was given) and I agree. I'm ready to move onward! A Pearlette from the Edison Pen Company? Hhmmm possibly, a TWSBI Vac 700? Or maybe a Visconti Rembrandt? Who knows but for now this is what I am using :)

Tracy Lee
February 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Visconti, Visconti! :) (Serious bias here, temper advice accordingly) :p

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

TonicLime
February 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
LOL...Tracy do you have any pictures of your Viconti's posted on the forum?

jor412
February 29th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Hi TonicLime. I love the Noodler's pens as well. They're among my favorites because they're easy to disassemble and clean, they're wet writers, and they're cheap.

KrazyIvan
February 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
How do you like the Noodler's Army Green?

I don't have any Noodler's pen but I do want to get a black Ahab. Thanks for sharing. :)

TonicLime
February 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
The Noodler's Army Green is a great ink. It's my first green.... Its a good shade and is dark enough for daily use. It's good for writting letters. The FP Geeks are giving away a black Ahab if your on Twitter check it out :) It's a whale of a pen but not heavy. For $20 bucks you can't go wrong.

dannzeman
March 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
TonicLime (gottay say, I love the name) you've made a great selection for your first set of fountain pens. And even a better set to move on to. My advice for getting great pens on the cheap: watch ebay and be patient. I've scored many pens in really good condition for less than half of what they go for on the used market.

KrazyIvan
March 2nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
The Noodler's Army Green is a great ink. It's my first green.... Its a good shade and is dark enough for daily use. It's good for writting letters. The FP Geeks are giving away a black Ahab if your on Twitter check it out :) It's a whale of a pen but not heavy. For $20 bucks you can't go wrong.

Thanks! I just found out about it yesterday. Just posted my tweet tonight. :D

manoeuver
March 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Cool pens. Imma recommend you try on a Lamy. Way different from the Noodlers. The Safaris are cheap and work wonderfully. lots of nib options and they're easily interchangeable. Have fun!

jor412
March 3rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
TonicLime (gottay say, I love the name) you've made a great selection for your first set of fountain pens. And even a better set to move on to. My advice for getting great pens on the cheap: watch ebay and be patient. I've scored many pens in really good condition for less than half of what they go for on the used market.

I second this piece of advice. It has worked for me several times. :)

@TonicLime - If you're interested in adding vintage pens, I'd suggest a Parker 51 or an Esterbrook J. I've gotten working examples for $30-45 on ebay. The 51 has a well-deserved reputation for reliability and durability. And with an Esterbrook, you can get extra nibs that you can swap around with ease.

dannzeman
March 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I second this piece of advice. It has worked for me several times. :)

@TonicLime - If you're interested in adding vintage pens, I'd suggest a Parker 51 or an Esterbrook J. I've gotten working examples for $30-45 on ebay. The 51 has a well-deserved reputation for reliability and durability. And with an Esterbrook, you can get extra nibs that you can swap around with ease.

I agree. As far a the 51 goes I usually recommend the aerometric filler because it usually never needs replaced (at least in my experience with them) and the filling an cleaning process is faster an easier than a vacumatic filler.

Sent from my iPhone