PDA

View Full Version : Omas pens.......finally!!

peterpen53
February 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
So, continuing from another thread, I got round to making these pictures at last. So here we go.

Paragons and the like:

Top: new-style Paragon
Left-to-right:
4 old-style Paragons—a regular black and 3 limiteds-in-time: Colonial (toffee-brown), Venetian blue and Grey. The last one is a grey Celluloid.

Ogivas:

From the top:
Herman Hesse LE, MoMA and Black Guilloche (which did not reproduce all that well I'm afraid)

Something special:

From the top:
Jerusalem 3000 LE
Roma 2000 Giubileo LE
Bologna (1st edition I'm told)
360 in Venetian Blue.

And that's my little tribe of Omas pens. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Peter

fountainpenkid
February 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Nice collection!

Tracy Lee
February 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Super nice, thanks for the pics!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

dannzeman
March 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Seriously jealous! All I have is a modern Arco Milord. I love it, but really want to expand. A Paragon is definitely on my list, as well as a 360.

youstruckgold
April 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Gotta love an Omas!

peterpen53
May 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Gotta love an Omas!

I'm so glad Visconti cured my Omas addiction!
Nice collection! Very nice!

Peter

ianmedium
June 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Peter, what a wonderful collection you have! I have always wanted to know. What is it like to write with the 360, is it comfortable?

KrazyIvan
June 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM
How did I miss this? That blue 360 is a looker!

geoduc
June 13th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Really nice, thanks for the photos!

peterpen53
June 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Thanks, guys. Just wish they would offer some more interesting nibs!

Peter, what a wonderful collection you have! I have always wanted to know. What is it like to write with the 360, is it comfortable?

Yes, Ian, although it might not look that way it is remarkably comfortable. It almost enforces the 'tripod' grip. For me it works very well. But for somebody who absolutely wants to hold his/her pen differently, it's probably a disaster.

writingrav
June 14th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Excellent collection. Thanks for sharing.

snedwos
June 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
The thing about the 360 is, while the triangle looks great to me, I worry about the angle of the nib. I use the tripod grip, but usually with my thumb aligned to the nib. I don't suppose the nib unit can be rotated in the section, can it?

peterpen53
June 14th, 2012, 09:50 AM
The thing about the 360 is, while the triangle looks great to me, I worry about the angle of the nib. I use the tripod grip, but usually with my thumb aligned to the nib. I don't suppose the nib unit can be rotated in the section, can it?

Does that mean you hold the nib more or less parallel to the writing line?
You would be one of the people for whom the 360 would be a disaster. I am not aware that you could rotate the nib in the section, although the feeder case appears to be round. But I'm not inclined to try...

ianmedium
June 14th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks Peter, I think I am going to see if anyone in our pen club has one for me to try. I love the new red one they have just brought out!

snedwos
June 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Does that mean you hold the nib more or less parallel to the writing line?
You would be one of the people for whom the 360 would be a disaster. I am not aware that you could rotate the nib in the section, although the feeder case appears to be round. But I'm not inclined to try...

Im not sure it would necessarily be a disaster, since I am able to adapt´my grip and handwriting to be a little bit less slanted, or change the angle of the page. As long as the nib is smooth enough, I can also probably get away with it. I´m speaking from my experience with Lamy Safaris, whose grips are also contoured in a certain way. The 360 would give me more freedom.

It looks like such a nice pen, it really would be a shame...

Though being able to adjust the angle really would make the pen live up to its name. would it not?

dcpritch
June 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm so glad Visconti cured my Omas addiction!

Great collection of pens, Peter. And yours too Nicholas!

I was just the opposite of Peter - I sold all my Visconti pens for OMAS and vintage Italian celluloids. Here is an OMAS Milord in the old style, with a nib that was custom tipped by Greg Minuskin to 1.1mm. Unreal smooth writing!

peterpen53
June 15th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks Peter, I think I am going to see if anyone in our pen club has one for me to try. I love the new red one they have just brought out!

The new red demonstrator is lovely indeed, such a pity that Omas got crazy with its prices a long time ago. If you don't find one to try, if you are ever in my neighbourhood... :)

Im not sure it would necessarily be a disaster, since I am able to adapt´my grip and handwriting to be a little bit less slanted, or change the angle of the page. As long as the nib is smooth enough, I can also probably get away with it. I´m speaking from my experience with Lamy Safaris, whose grips are also contoured in a certain way. The 360 would give me more freedom.

It looks like such a nice pen, it really would be a shame...

Though being able to adjust the angle really would make the pen live up to its name. would it not?
Yes, it would. But I would not want to tinker with the nib unless I'd be absolutely sure it would work. As to smoothness, in gold nibs Omas set the standard for me many years ago, being up there with the very best from Montblanc (the broad ones) and Pelikan. In my view, they are only surpassed by Visconti's Pd-nibs.

Great collection of pens, Peter. And yours too Nicholas!

I was just the opposite of Peter - I sold all my Visconti pens for OMAS and vintage Italian celluloids. Here is an OMAS Milord in the old style, with a nib that was custom tipped by Greg Minuskin to 1.1mm. Unreal smooth writing!

Thank you. I saw yours in the handwritten FPN-thread and was planning a suitable reply later today, since I don't have an Omas inked currently (now that's odd isn't it?). But I did not sell mine for the Viscontis. They are just very hard to find here and their range does not change that much any more, at least not with pens I would be willing to buy.

KrazyIvan
June 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Argh! *mumbles something about Omas pens posted on the internet and walks away*

:bounce:

youstruckgold
June 17th, 2012, 01:23 AM
:laser:

jar
September 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM

If you order the 360 from John Mottishaw I know you can have the nib rotated to any angle you want for free and that he also will rotate the nib on a 360 bought elsewhere for a fee.

It is a wonderful pen and also came in a smaller "Mezzo" size.

http://www.fototime.com/4644364D6F0B601/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/47D0BA14B0F56AE/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/2353D1E9E0DC7A4/medium800.jpg

The Mezzo is cartridge only and slightly lighter as well.

http://www.fototime.com/853FAF24AEEB9DC/standard.jpg

Sony
September 15th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Wow! What a nice pen,as I'm fond of pen and I have also a big collection of fountain and gel pens.:crazy_pilot:I'm crazy about my pen.

youstruckgold
October 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Just got two newbies from Marco at Novelli's in Rome - 2 Ogivas, one in Lucens black/gold; the other in Wilde celluloid. Both with luscious modern flex nibs. :)

Dee8go
November 6th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Love those Omas Paragons! I was considering the purchase of a T2 a while back. Remember those? I believe they were all titanium pens. Anyway, they were beautiful, but above my price range, as I recall.