PDA

View Full Version : Lamy blue/black bottled ink

Pommel
October 12th, 2013, 04:12 PM

I heard that Lamy blue/black (in the 50ml bottle) was recently reformulated; the new formula would be no longer an iron gall ink. Time for a (brief!) handwritten review, so that you can see if it's worth to grab that NOS bottle from the shelves ;)

I have the full size scan available, if you would want to see it. Most important conclusion; after it has dried complety, this ink is very much water resistant. I have not tested how light fast it is in the long term.

This ink needs a wet writing fountain pen. Flow is decent, not great, and lubrication is average only. There is some shading, and the color is a classic blue/black. I like the color better than Quink blue/black (not included in the writing sample), and even better than the greyish Pelikan blue/black. This is my "to go" ink for my Lamy 2000 pen.

The Good Captain
October 13th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Great review of an underrated ink, in my opinion. The couple of bottles I have are almost certainly the iron-gall ones as is the opened one I use now and again. I've always found it a bit dry so maybe a wet, Ebonite feed pen might do better.

rob
October 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I've always passed over the Lamy inks, and I know exactly why. It's the bottle! It's so modern, and lacks the soul or vintage character of other manufacturer's inks, but I love the shading of the blue-black above so I may well try and pick up a bottle before they go away from iron gall.

Thanks for the review.

Pommel
October 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM
The bottle is very Lamy-esque though, having the same clear lines as their pens.

KrazyIvan
October 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I have a bottle that is supposed iron gall. Purchased about 3 years ago. I found out later I just don't like blue black inks except Waterman Blue Black because it leans green.