PDA

View Full Version : Italic Nibs

writingrav
February 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I finally got into the italic nib world today when my Twisbi 1.1 arrived. I love it. After listening to the FP Geeks podcast I ordered three Lamy italic nibs, 1.1.1.5 and 1.9 to see the differences.

KrazyIvan
February 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
They are very addicting aren't they? :)

Jon Szanto
February 29th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Wait til you start having someone like Pendleton Brown grind some for you on a favorite pen. Yikes.

peterpen53
March 1st, 2012, 12:22 AM
Italic nibs are the best way to make your handwriting shine! You can never have too many.

Jon Szanto
March 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Italic nibs are the best way to make your handwriting shine! You can never have too many.
Yes, indeed, and yes, you can.

Pinkys.Brain
March 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM

Yep, my thought exactly. So I ground my Kaweco Sport BB into a right oblique. It is a bit scratchy, but totally worth it, since the Kaweco BB nib had an evil baby bottom (seems to occur rather often).

writingrav
March 2nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Yep, my thought exactly. So I ground my Kaweco Sport BB into a right oblique. It is a bit scratchy, but totally worth it, since the Kaweco BB nib had an evil baby bottom (seems to occur rather often).

I don't think I'm ready to grind my own but would consider having some ground for me by pros. I'll probably wait till next year's Philly show

Pinkys.Brain
March 2nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
I don't think I'm ready to grind my own but would consider having some ground for me by pros. I'll probably wait till next year's Philly show

I understand that. I ground and slightly scratchy Tombow F nib to an 1mm (steel) stub, when the iridium point fell off after applying too much pressure during the smoothing...

As for the Kaweco: The baby bottom was too bad not to get it done, but the pen is too cheap to get it done professionally. Also the BB nib is so broad that there was enough room for correcting mistakes done during the grinding process. I ground off 0.5mm so far and there is at least 0.5 left if there is the need for further corrections.

I actually never should have bought it but just a normal B nib (also cheaper)...

Before grinding the Kaweco I trained a bit with Lamy B nibs. They are cheap enough for that purpose (4,90€).

The important point is knowing, when to stop!

But back to the OP:
I don't like the 1.5 nib. Too broad for my normal handwriting, too small for my highlighting ink. So I got the 1.1 for normal writing (great cheap nib!!!) and a 1.9 for highlighting. Unfortunately the feed of my Logo cannot keep up with the 1.9 nib during fast strokes, which are essential for highlighting... =(

dannzeman
March 2nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
I finally got into the italic nib world today when my Twisbi 1.1 arrived. I love it. After listening to the FP Geeks podcast I ordered three Lamy italic nibs, 1.1.1.5 and 1.9 to see the differences.
This is what we like to hear! Be sure to let us know which one you prefer. I think my favorite is generally a 1.1mm stub.

writingrav
March 8th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I really like the 1.9 best.

Jon Szanto
March 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
You won't be sending many postcards with that sucker, though. I have fun while writing with a really wide nib, but if the point is putting words on paper, you have to have bigger and bigger pieces of paper...

writingrav
March 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM
You won't be sending many postcards with that sucker, though. I have fun while writing with a really wide nib, but if the point is putting words on paper, you have to have bigger and bigger pieces of paper...

True. For that I'm using my Twisby 1.5, not to mention the remaining pens in my collection with fine and medium nibs. But sitting down to think out a project with the 1.9 is really quite an interesting experience. It makes everything you write seem important.

Jon Szanto
March 8th, 2012, 06:32 PM
It makes everything you write seem important.
A megalomania nib!

fountainpenkid
March 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I have yet to try I true nice Italic nib....... some day.

writingrav
March 9th, 2012, 04:28 AM
A megalomania nib!
Exactly!

Pinkys.Brain
March 9th, 2012, 04:56 AM

What fountain pen are you using and does the feed of the pen allow fast writing with the 1.9 nib?

peterpen53
March 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I have yet to try I true nice Italic nib....... some day.

Be careful what you wish for. You might not look back...

Cheers,
Peter

manoeuver
March 9th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just got my TWSBI 1.1 in the mail today and it's fantastic.

writingrav
March 11th, 2012, 01:30 PM
What fountain pen are you using and does the feed of the pen allow fast writing with the 1.9 nib?
I'm using the Twisbi 540 ROC and find myself writing pretty naturally.