PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the viability of cracked nib repairs

Paul-H
October 14th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Hi all

Any one got any views or tips to the viability of home repairs to cracked gold nibs.

Some of my old pens have small cracks in the nibs, probably from over flexing at some time and I have often wondered about the possibility of making some sort of repair to put them back in use.

Anyone done this and got any tips on the best way. I can get 9ct gold solder quite cheaply would that stick to a 14 ct gold nib, I was thinking more along the lines of just bridging over the back of the crack to add support rather than effect an invisible mend.

Anyone got any thoughts or tips on this.

Thanks

Paul

Pommel
October 14th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Years ago, Nathan Tardif repaired a cracked nib for me. He melded it, and added some slight support. It has worked flawlessly ever since (15 years ago?).

Farmboy
October 15th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Two techniques: welding and soldering. Very different in nature. Welding is only practical with a laser with a high capital outlay making solder based repairs the practical home method.

You should match the gold content between solder and nib. You need to consider how you will clean the metal prior to heat and then after soldering. Not all gold alloys are the same so you will need to experiment. At soldering temperature you van get some phase separation of the various metals and this can affect strength, flex, etc.

Since the nibs are cracked you are not really risking much if professional repair is more than replacement cost and you alys have melted value.

Laser welding would be my first choice.

I would advise against practicing on expensive or hard to find nibs.