PDA

View Full Version : Black Ink Cartridge Recommendation?

ArnieJB
October 16th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Being new to the fountain pen world, I don't know too much about the various ink manufacturers. I just picked up a Kaweco Al Sport and am looking for a real nice dark black cartridge for it. It needs to be an international short sized cartridge. Can anyone recommend some good ones? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erpe
October 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Maybe have a look here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvfGrJIpKBQ)to start on black inks, depending where you are, you will have to check which of the inks is available in cartridges. For example at Gouletpens (http://www.gouletpens.com/Shop_All_Ink_Cartridges_s/876.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=876&show=120&page=1).

AndyT
October 16th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I'm tempted to say that one empty cartridge, a syringe and a bottle of Noodler's black (or whatever) will save you a small fortune, as would the little Kaweco aerometric converter. If it absolutely has to be cartridges for reasons of portability, Aurora's is widely regarded as one of the best dense blacks on the market. You probably won't like Waterman or Diamine Jet Black by the way, they're quite washed-out looking except on absorbent paper.

cwent2
October 16th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Agree with AndyT - Bottled ink and a converter are much more economical. Defiantly more ink for the buck.

ArnieJB
October 16th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the input. I had purchased a Kaweco converter and have put Lamy Black bottled ink into it. The converter doesn't work great in filling up so I just ordered an ink syringe this morning so I can fit more ink in there. Are there any other bottled soluble inks out there with comparable black to Noodlers?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AndyT
October 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Just dropped back in to say that I'm an idiot (for the benefit of any newcomers :) ), and that Aurora don't do standard cartridges. Which is a pity.

So far as I know, the Kaweco converter is a straightforward aerometric type, which in turn makes it a bulb filler really - so in theory there's nothing to go wrong short of a puncture. Have you tried squeezing it, counting to ten, then repeating a few times?

Private Reserve inks are usually well saturated, so maybe Ultra Black would be worth a try.

WirsPlm
October 18th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input. I had purchased a Kaweco converter and have put Lamy Black bottled ink into it. The converter doesn't work great in filling up so I just ordered an ink syringe this morning so I can fit more ink in there. Are there any other bottled soluble inks out there with comparable black to Noodlers?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Squeeze fillers need to be held in the ink for a bit (they fill slowly), which isn't always immediately obvious to people who aren't used to them. Put nib in ink, squeeze, wait until sac fully inflates, remove and wipe (waiting is the key part). Doing that a couple of times will also help, sometimes they don't suck in the full capacity on the first squeeze due to air exchange issues.

If you want black-blacks, Noodler's is your best bet I think (Noodler's inks are more saturated). X-Feather (aka Anti-Feather) is nice and dark and smooth, Old Manhattan Black from the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC is reportedly the darkest black (haven't seen it in person). Black Eel is not black enough for me, and the Polar inks are more trouble than they're worth unless you really need the freeze resistance. You can get samples from Goulet Pens I know, so maybe try ordering a few samples of different blacks and seeing which one you like the most? They carry many different ink lines so you can compare a bunch of inks without committing to a whole bottle.

KrazyIvan
October 18th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I agree with WirsPlm, the squeeze fillers are a little bit different to fill if you are not used to them. I suggest reading this post for proper filling: http://wonderpens.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/how-to-use-your-kaweco-squeeze-converter/

on a black ink, I like J. Herbin Perle Noire. http://www.jetpens.com/J.-Herbin-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Cartridge-Perle-Noire-Pearl-Black-Pack-of-6/pd/7850

I have some other blacks that I like in cartridge form but I am not sure about where to get one. Some cartridges came with my Sherpa fountain pen and they are a really nice but I have not found them for sale. Another is the black cartridge that came with my Monteverde Invincia Stealth. I can only assume that they are Monteverde Black.

MadAmos
October 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I have been using Private Reserve Velvet Black and it is a rich almost shiny black with great manners in every pen I have used it in.