PDA

View Full Version : Fountain pen memes

yipe
October 17th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Well, um, I made one.

It's a spin on the "dat @ss" meme.

I also have this screenshot that seems like it's open for memery but I can't think of what to do with it. Erase the words "Midori Notebook Arrangements" and put something funny there I would imagine.

Finally here's the first one with no text so you can make your own.

mmahany
October 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM
LOL, good idea.

I expect this to go over most people's heads, but I have a few ideas of my own.

yipe
October 20th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I made a few more from a screenshot of SBREBrown reviewing the TWSBI Mini.

I call this one "Murderous Stephen"

And of course, I had to include the blank one so others could join in.

I really need to remove that top bar from youtube but I really don't know what I'm doing.

yipe
October 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
This one might be a bit dark

yipe
October 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
My wife helped me with this one.

cwent2
October 20th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Bravo! Good job!

mmahany
October 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
Those aren't really memes though. Memes generally involve some sort of internet culture.

For instance, here is a "Scumbag Montblanc" meme I just made:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/montblancmeme_zpsfa6fa4f7.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/montblancmeme_zpsfa6fa4f7.jpg.html)

mmahany
October 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM
Or...."Dat Hemingway"
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/dathemingway_zpsafa143e7.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/dathemingway_zpsafa143e7.jpg.html)

yipe
October 21st, 2013, 12:18 PM
I fail to see the significant difference between your "dat hemingway" and my "dat pen" save that you used the more commonly known "dat" background image.

mmahany
October 21st, 2013, 12:33 PM
I fail to see the significant difference between your "dat hemingway" and my "dat pen" save that you used the more commonly known "dat" background image.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a funny picture, but a meme relates to internet culture.

In regards to the "Dat" pictures. They are based on the "Dat A**" meme with a picture of rich boy (the guy I posted).

Memes generally involve a commonly used picture with a caption is always somewhat relevant between different variations. For instance:

1.) Bad luck Brian- A picture of a sickly looking kid. The top caption suggests something good has happened, while the bottom caption provides futher details of his "bad luck."
2.) Scumback Steve- A picture of an "urbanly" dressed kid. The first caption suggests an opportunity for him to do something good. Instead, Steve takes the "low road."
3.) Good Guy Greg- A picture of a college kid smoking a joint. Greg looks like he might be a bad person, but instead he has a heart of gold.

Again, I'm not saying that your pictures aren't humorous to others, but they aren't necessarily memes. It wasn't meant as an attack, but rather an opportunity to explain what a meme actually is.

yipe
October 21st, 2013, 12:48 PM
Well no they aren't "memes" in the sense that they haven't taken on their own life and meaning, but neither had any of the memes you mentioned when they were first created. And "Dat Pen" was clearly a reference to "Dat @ss".

Nothing about a picture of a sickly looking kid in a sweater vest, or an urban whiteboy in a patterned hat particularly says "internet" except that the pictures were adopted later by the internet after someone overlaid some text.

Memes are simply ideas with a life of their own, blah blah blah memetic virus blah blah you know the story. These that I have created may not be memes now, but they can become memes if they are adopted. Of course they probably will not be, especially because once you mention the word "meme" you're trying to force it and a forced meme never happens.

TL;DR ten years experience on 4chan. Come at me bro (or keep it friendly like it is now, 'cause you know, that's better.)

mmahany
October 21st, 2013, 01:03 PM
TL;DR ten years experience on 4chan. Come at me bro (or keep it friendly like it is now, 'cause you know, that's better.)

4chan was created in October 2003 so you had to have been one of the first 4chan users ever:bounce:

Only kidding with you, all you had to do was namedrop "4chan" and I could have confirmed that you knew what you were doing.

Since you're also a 4chan poster, I'm sure you can appreciate what I was attempting to do. It's extremely annoying to see someone incorrectly associate a caption with a meme picture. I was hoping to avoid the rabbit hole of people simply adding captions to any particular picture.

And for the record, you're absolutely right. Memes all have to start somewhere, but it's the discrepancy between captions that ruins a particular meme. You didn't do that, but I'm simply stating what you already know.

/hipsternerdrant

yipe
October 21st, 2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah I actually was on board with 4chan pretty early probably not the very first year though so maybe it was nine years ago. I remember when ponies first started, I remember girugameshu, and the brown square virus image. I actually don't really go there very much anymore, I waste my inter-times on reddit mostly, but I don't like r/fountainpens so I keep all that here.

mmahany
October 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah I actually was on board with 4chan pretty early probably not the very first year though so maybe it was nine years ago. I remember when ponies first started, I remember girugameshu, and the brown square virus image. I actually don't really go there very much anymore, I waste my inter-times on reddit mostly, but I don't like r/fountainpens so I keep all that here.

I was on PBNation back in 2001, Bodybuilding.com since ~2006, several GM Truck forums since 2004, 4chan, Reddit, and Facebook back when it was only for college kids.

Essentially, I have 12+ years of experience with internet nonsense (resume worthy, lol?). I'm probably a bit bitter having put up with all of that for more than a decade.

yipe
October 21st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah I remember having to put what school I was in when I signed up for facebook, now my mom and sisters make facebook a nightmare which I cannot face. I was seriously late to Reddit, actually I'm still kinda new to it.

I'm not a bodybuilder and I simply do not care about cars or trucks.

But yeah, it's been a pretty crazy decade+ hasn't it?

bgray
October 21st, 2013, 05:16 PM
http://cdn.meme.li/i/p7yk2.jpg