PDA

View Full Version : Which model of Sheaffer is this

Paul-H
October 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Hi all

I am trying to get a positive ID on a sheaffer pen as does not fit any of the pens I have found on the usual Pen ID sites.

Its a sheaffer Touchdown Model of some sort but it has the same short triumph style nib as found on the Imperial 3.

Its the same size as the Touchdown and Snorkel TM models but has the short Triumph nib, anyone know what model it is.

Thanks

Paul

Pictures below.

mmahany
October 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I'm coming up short on this one. The most interesting part of the pen is the color-matched section. I can't find another similar pen with the same colored section and without a black trim ring that separates the nib and section from each other. I'm very interested in figuring this one out.

KrazyIvan
October 18th, 2013, 12:04 PM
There are only four choices with a non white dot model. It is a bit confusing though:

Special
Admiral
Saratoga
Sovereign

EDIT: Is it possible the cap is not original to the pen?

cwent2
October 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I believe it has to do with the width of the cap band - looks like an Admiral. But if the cap is different from the original ....

Pommel
October 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I have an Admiral with a colored section too, but with a full size nib.

mmahany
October 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I don't think this is a franken pen. Look here:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/204714-help-with-identification-please/

If you notice, it has the exact same nib, section, cap, and everything, but in black.

There is a distinct possibility this is a rare transitional model or a country-specific pen. I cannot find another like it online and I'm usually very good at identifying pens.

Paul-H
October 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies

Obviously I have no idea if the cap is not original. But even if its not what Sheaffer pen was a TM Touchdown with the small triumph nib, and if its not the right cap, what cap should it be.

Paul

mmahany
October 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
I went ahead and emailed Richard Binder to see if he could help us identify this model.

I was originally inclined to believe this was a "Frankenpen" myself, but given the fact that there is another EXACTLY like it, I'm starting to think it's a rare transitional model.

Pommel
October 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
The clip and section suggests that it is from the late 50's.

Paul-H
October 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks again for all the input and help with this, and thanks mmahany for posting that link of another exact example of my pen.

Could it really be that at last I have bought a pen that is really rare and not just one that the eBay seller claims to be rare.

One odd thing I did notice though is that other than an owners name engraved on the barrel there is no sign of the usual Sheaffer engravings. Did they only do this on American made pens or was it also on the Canadian and Australian made pens as well.

Mind you it might have been there and just worn away over the years.

Thanks again

Paul

KrazyIvan
October 18th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I read that it could possibly be Australian. Nothing engraved on the cap either?

Paul-H
October 18th, 2013, 11:39 PM
The Nib is stamped Canada and other than an owners name on the barrel and Shaffer's on the clip there are no other markings.

Paul

Pommel
October 19th, 2013, 12:44 AM
It's not in my Sheaffer catalogs. But given the clip, I would guess late 50's.

david i
October 19th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Hi,

We've had a thread I believe about this sort over at Fountain Pen Board. I might own one or two like it. Pen looks bit like Snorkel, has though a smooth matching section leading to tubular short Triumph nib. Might be (don't hold me to this) an early Imperial. If I can dig up the thread the next couple days at FPB I will provide link and offer some images and quotes here at FPG.

Best Regards

David Isaacson

david i
October 19th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Well, here be the thread anyway. Swamped at hospital, but will comment I hope next day or so.

Early TD Imperials at FPB: (http://www.fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3906-early-imperial-tds/)

regards

David

david i
October 19th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Hi Again,

Found another thread triggered by one of these I found a bit back.

2nd FPB thread about Triumph nib Snorkel-look early Imperial (http://www.fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/118-heretofore-unseen-sheaffer-tm-touchdown/)

regards

david

HughC
October 21st, 2013, 03:39 AM
It is indeed called an Imperial, available in 4 colours ( at least that's all I've found). I have a set of these including a chalk marked one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XE3orqi6q5oSCErz7Ep0biql-j28f9ssJVreUMAaf8Y?feat=directlink

The "history" of these isn't known but at a guess I'd be saying somewhere in the 1960-61 (?) vicinity, personally I think it's a forerunner to the better known Imperials. The nib is a 9ct one, unhallmarked and a non WD model. Interestingly there is also a slip cap version with a gold cap ( a Golden Imperial) and a SS slip cap model...where they fit in isn't known either !! Well made pens but not worth much.

Regards

Hugh

Paul-H
October 21st, 2013, 05:31 AM
It guaranteed to be not worth much because I have just bought one :)

but thanks again for all the help with this one.

Paul