PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Snorkels, where any made in England

Paul-H
October 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Hi all

Hopefully a quick question for the Sheaffer experts on here.

Did Sheaffer ever make Snorkel pen in England. There is one for sale that the owner claims is made in England, so was just wondering if it could be true.

Paul

david i
October 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry to keep doing links not details, but this week is crazy at work and I am in midst of negotiating a 300 pen collection here in Janesville.

Scan down this thread at FPB. "9k" and "18k" are English. World class Snorks rarely seen nearly never owned by collectors.

FPB thread: Sheaffer Snorkel solid 9k and solid 18k gold monsters (http://www.fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2363-sheaffer-snorkel-eye-candy-december-2011/).

Since this thread appeared couple years ago, I have acquired a killer 9k Snork set. Need to photograph it.

Not sure I've seen simple plastic Snorks with English markings. Have seen Australian and Canadian markings.

regards

David

HughC
October 21st, 2013, 03:45 AM
A simple answer is yes. Not that common though, must have been late in the model run which may well have extended longer than the US run. It's thought Aust. production continued until 1962 so UK may have been in that time frame as well. If it's marked as such would be a neat find and a bit out of the ordinary.

Regards
Hugh

Paul-H
October 21st, 2013, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the info, most helpful as always.

I ended up not going for the pen as it was on ebay and had a reserve price so I knew the seller wanted at least £50 and I couldn't justify that on a pen I was unsure of.

The one thing that kept me away was that it was only the seller claiming it was English made and he cam to that conclusion because it had no other markings on it so his assumption was if it didn't say made in America, Canada or Australia it must be English made. Also the highest bid it got was about £15 so no one else thought it was worth the sellers minimum asking price.

It will probably turn out to be worth a fortune and we all missed the bargain of the century.

Paul

david i
October 21st, 2013, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the info, most helpful as always.
SNIP

It will probably turn out to be worth a fortune and we all missed the bargain of the century.

Paul

I wouldn't worry...

regards

d